VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the canadian GLS which from what I've read they are mostly the same. I have a few questions maybe someone knows the answer:
-my gas guage shows a 70l tank but I can only put just over 40l into it, Am I missing something? I'm guessing a US-CAN difference?
-The US GLX has a coil pack if I am correct, I see a distributor in mine. Does anyone have a GLS with the same? Any idea for replacement cost?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: differences between US 93 GLX and Canadian 93 GLS (corific)

i know you have kneebars and we dont! thats about all i know in differences

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

You should be able to put around 70Ls in you tank. What happens when you gas gauge is in the red? Does the car start to stutter in turns? How many miles do you get to a tank?
Some 93s have distributors, some have coilpacks. My car was made in March of 93 (I think), but I have a coilpack.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Re: differences between US 93 GLX and Canadian 93 GLS (Ken93P-GLX)

How about the headlight washers?
Heated seats and mirrors? I guess that's the 'winter' package
My canadian gas tank holds 70L. I've put in 68L once, and the car was sputtering (almost ran out of gas
)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: differences between US 93 GLX and Canadian 93 GLS (BC Dub)

thanks for the replies and confirming it is a 70l tank, I haven't run it right down into the red yet but have filled it just at the top of the red with 40+ L. I may have a slightly defunkt guage as I would expect it would be at least 60L from top of red. I'll try running it really low next time before I gas up. I just hope it's not on the way to work!!! I haven't measured the km's per tank, but I get about 12 L/100 km's in city driving (seems high to me). The MFC thing is great but it can cause stress: eg. If I don't know how hot my oil is I won't care!!!
Calling around for the distributor , coil pack = cheap, distributor = not cheap. Oh well, just cross my fingers it doesn't go.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Another difference...
U.S. Spec. GLX has fog lights, GLS doesn't. Probably a stupid canadian Bumper regulation....
And not all Canadian GLS has leather interior, there is some GLS VR6 with velour seats.
Heated seats and W/W nozzles were standard in Canada. Even on GL's

·
Registered
290 Posts

I'll bet that the voltage regulator for your fuel and temperature gauge is gone. The solder joints eventually fail, causing intermittent or incorrect readings. If it isn't the regulator itself, it will be the solder joints on the board that the regulator mounts onto.
Diagnosis by dealership service? Forget about it. The relay costs about $30? or $40 CDN, put it in yourself, and resolder the board while you're in there, problem fixed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: differences between US 93 GLX and Canadian 93 GLS (neimis)

Thanks for the tip, Neimis, that's some good info. I think my priority for this weekend is an oil change and try to replace oil pan gasket. I'm tired of looking out my window at work into the parking lot and seeing every place I have parked before!!! I get a tell - tale drip pattern one big spot, one small.
My 93 GLS has a cloth interior (static machine) and headlight spray with heated seats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts