VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am considering the purchase of the 3m Film that covers your bumber/hood/mirrors from bugs and road debris. I have found the relevant info concerning this film, and have also found a deal to do my car for $350. The only problem is that 350 is a lot of money for me at the moment. However, some people are telling me that 350 now will protect me from repainting my car in the future. If anyone has this film I am curious about the overall look of the car. Will it look wierd with my super shiny, zaino'd car? Will my car really be that messed up from road debris in a year? If anyone has experience with the film please post your opinions.
Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
Re: Difficult Decision (817)

although i can't hepl you.....i too would like to know how this looks/works.....i have heard its seamless

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Re: Difficult Decision (liquid stereo)

only you can answer the question about how bad your car will look over time. i've had my car for almost exactly 1 year. (july 3rd) and have logged 11,300 miles. i have 3-4 noticeable stone chips on the front end.

·
Registered
656 Posts

I had two pieces of this film installed on the front of both rear fenders to reduce chips. It's not installed anywhere else on the car though. So far I don't see any difference one year later, but you can definetely tell that the coating is on there.
I remember a LONG time ago someone talked about this stuff, try searching for it, although I realize you might come up with zilch. The search sucks so bad...
Anyway, good luck. I realize that $350 is a lot of dough, but if you don't have to get repainted or get new bodywork, then it's worth it. I've already got a couple of chips in my chin spoiler that I notice every time i look at the car

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Re: Difficult Decision (Androoos)

its good stuff.. a couple of guys have it here in az.. and I am getting this done tom.. for like 325!!! its really worth it!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
265 Posts

I saw it installed on a Mazda 6 at my VW/Mazda dealership. I love the idea and my last car had chips on the front bumper.
I gotta tell you, it's very noticeable to me. For someone like me who is obsessed with detailing, it's unsightly.
It reminds me of when your grandma kept the plastic covers on her couches and lamp shades.
I dunno. I bought the car to drive. Normal chipping is to be expected. Just don't get behind salt trucks in the winter.
Take a look at it installed before U shell out the cash for it and see if it's tolerable. As far as seamless...far from it. It's just not for me.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts

id say if you lower your car its def worth it. i have a black golf lowered 2" and i wish i woulda done it. now i got a buncha chips all over my front end i have to get painted. sucks... 350 def worth it.

add

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Re: Difficult Decision (addm)

I have 11,000 on my car and the font is chipped up like hell!!!! I'm considering a front respray soon. I drove my car through the worst winter in years and that's what chips the front of cars. Also, don't follow too close behind cars especially semi's, those are things that kick up rocks. It all depends on all you drive and where you drive. But...always better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Re: Difficult Decision (GTIVr6Girl)

most tint places will do this.... if you do alot of highway driving to get to work ect... I think its a great investment. but in my case I have a 20min back road cmmute so highway rocks are only a danger to me on road trips.
(but I do have 2 really not rock chips in my lower valence
)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: Difficult Decision (protijy337)

I drive 35 mi one way to/from work on the highway each day, so I'm seriously looking into this. My major barrier is that my front bumper and grill, and my mirrors are caked with bugs and a little bit of bird stuff. I've tried to get it all off but it won't come. I'm thinking of trying goo gone.
Jman5000 has the clear bra on his BMP. He took a bunch of pics of it. Search for clear bra and then look for posts by Jman5000.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: Difficult Decision (GTIVr6Girl)

$350

what does that include? you can price out this stuff at the link below and it adds up pretty quick. as for the product get it, it;s worth it, and especially for $350!
i've had it on my past three vehicles and going unprotected is not an option, and please do not get the bra (those things are hideous).

one other point, get it installed by a professional! it is too expensive to experiment nomatter what price you are paying.

http://www.xpel.com/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts