VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My top is getting harder to finish closing. Power closes to about 8 inches or so. Used to be able to pull it closed with one hand now I struggle with two hands. Not me getting older or anything. Appreciate any help

·
Registered
652 Posts
Urban Dictionary: power top
Your power top is having trouble finishing and you now need to use both hands to get it done?

Jokes aside...
I've no experience with the convertible.

Looking at the eBahn, the power top uses a fairly simple hydraulic system filled with standard G 002 000 hygroscopic fluid.

There's a cylinder on each side to work the top. Maybe one/both are leaking or gummed up.

There's a solenoid valve threaded to the pump. Maybe its o-ring is compromised, or it doesn't have full range of motion. It has a warning to only thread on a new solenoid in an activated state using the diagnostic testing mode.

The pump has an attached reservoir with sealing ring and fill plug. Oil levels could be low or needs a flush. Maybe the pump is just worn out.

It says the pump is accessed via a hole in the floor of the top storage compartment, under a "noise chamber" and the top needs to be removed first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Urban Dictionary: power top
Your power top is having trouble finishing and you now need to use both hands to get it done?

Jokes aside...
I've no experience with the convertible.

Looking at the eBahn, the power top uses a fairly simple hydraulic system filled with standard G 002 000 hygroscopic fluid.

There's a cylinder on each side to work the top. Maybe one/both are leaking or gummed up.

There's a solenoid valve threaded to the pump. Maybe its o-ring is compromised, or it doesn't have full range of motion. It has a warning to only thread on a new solenoid in an activated state using the diagnostic testing mode.

The pump has an attached reservoir with sealing ring and fill plug. Oil levels could be low or needs a flush. Maybe the pump is just worn out.

It says the pump is accessed via a hole in the floor of the top storage compartment, under a "noise chamber" and the top needs to be removed first.
Wow, thanks for that information!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts