VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm contemplating doing some motor work on my recenlty acquired 92 8v gti. the car has some type of cam but i'm not sure what kind or specs...it does run better up high than my stock cammed 8v that i've owned for years....
essentially i'm looking for advice on which might be the better set up.
my digi head rebuilt and balanced on to of an ABA block or a full 2.0 x-flow complete with motronic injection also rebuilt....
obviously one would be more work with the inclusion of a different injections system, but would the results be nearly equal as far as power output keeping everything else essentially equal?
what are good internal mods for the ABA motor? cams, etc? i will be doing quite a bit more reading in here to research others results, opinions etc as well
thanks

Modified by username at 3:11 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: digi 8v head and injection w/ABA bottom end VS. full X-flow swap (username)

i would like to know also http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Re: digi 8v head and injection w/ABA bottom end VS. full X-flow swap (OneQuikMofo)

For a daily driver, an ABA short block with your existing head is a cheap upgrade, more torquey.

·
Registered
11,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: digi 8v head and injection w/ABA bottom end VS. full X-flow swap (SimonH)

the guy i know that will likely do the wrenching in either case would charge me less for just doing the aba block and rebuilt head, i guess i'm just pondering if going the next step to a full x-flow would be worth it in terms of future possibilites. i know you can turbo an x-flow, and as cool as that might be, i have no intention of going that far with it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Re: digi 8v head and injection w/ABA bottom end VS. full X-flow swap (A2_CARAT)

I would go for the ABA block swap. It's much easier and cheaper than going through with the complete swap. From what i have heard, it will net you roughly the same power gain as doing the complete x-flow swap. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Re: digi 8v head and injection w/ABA bottom end VS. full X-flow swap (username)

I'd just keep your existing head...
If you want a bit of extra flow and are planning on rebuilding your 8v head anyways - replace the valves/guides with the ABA equivalents with 7mm stems. Have your machinist do a backcut on the intake side, and unshroud both intake and exhaust valves. You'll be looking a quite a bit of extra flow...
Quite a bit of the restriction on these motors lies in the intake manifolds which is one reason ITBs rule when it comes to extracting max power out of these things.
Perhaps all of us 8v folks should setup a group "buy" of the services of extrude hone and get our manifolds done at one time...
regards,
Peter Tong

Modified by Peter Tong at 6:45 PM 3-18-2004

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: digi 8v head and injection w/ABA bottom end VS. full X-flow swap (89JettaCoupe)

Being that my bottom end needs to most likely be rebuilt, I think I am going to just do this instead. I am thinking this with 1. exhaust 2. cam 3. autotech valve springs 4. maf conversion and 5. chip will make for a nice little engine. What is everyones opinions on that setup????????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts