VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Digi Golf dies after running ~15 minutes

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  JoggerNot 
#1 ·
I'm lost on this one. It just started acting up. I can't drive it anymore because of how it behaves:

Starts cold, fine. I can drive it for 10-15 minutes or so. Then it starts sputtering, which progresses into the engine jerking wildly, the tach jumping all over the place, and it quickly dies.

It won't start back up until I let it cool down.

The only thing I've found so far is that the coil-to-distributor wire measures 10K ohm instead of the less than 2K spec'd in Bentley. If this was a problem, though, the car would have trouble when cold, right?

Weird thing I noticed last time was that after it died and I turned the key back to ON the tach bounced all over for a little while without the engine running. Tach signal comes from coil? Or Hall sensor?

I've checked all grounds, battery, plug wires.

Any suggestions, besides shooting it?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Okay, it's not the ignition switch. But the wire from the switch to the starter (terminal 50) measures a whopping 93K ohm. And since this wire branches to the starter AND the Digi computer I think I'm on the right track.

Does the fusebox come apart? I've had it out before and the two halves looked like they do separate.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I ran it today until the problem happened again.

Something different this time, though. After a few start attempts the starter stopped cranking. And I get less than 1V at terminal 50 of the starter. So I'm looking at a bad ignition switch, or ground in that circuit. Strange that it's temperature related (unless that's an entirely different problem).

I'm going to pull the steering column apart to test at the switch (MFing switch is only two years old). Anyone know off hand where the ignition switch circuit ground is?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.