VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow car people. I hope I am using this forum correctly as it is my first time posting.
I have a 1990 VW golf, Digi 2, RV, 1.8l, 8v that I put a 2.0 aba block under from a 94' Jetta.
I had the head and block cleaned. Port matched the intake/exhaust and lapped the valves myself.
I didn't go too crazy with it, just rings and bearings but it all looked good and I was pretty proud of it.
Along the way my ECU had gotten fried (had no spark on first start up) and I had to get a new one.
My original was 037 906 022AR, KEN, the one I got had the word TAN on it but matched otherwise.
Now I had spark and it ran, but very poorly and would die after 30 seconds or so. When I unplugged the o2 sensor it ran fine. We bought a new o2 of course thinking that was all and when I installed that one, same issue. So, what I'm wondering is if it's possible that because the ECU isn't an exact match could it cause it to read something wrong with the o2 plugged in? It runs fine unplugged but after all the money I put into the motor I would really rather have everything working properly together as it was meant to.
Thanks in advance, any thoughts are appreciated.
Cheers - Mac.

·
Registered
2000 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 8v (ABS engine swap (from AAM engine (cracked block at 137k miles))
14 Posts
Have you considered an aftermarket ECU? Then you can get that programmed to your hearts content...
Of course, this might not be the cheapest option...

·
Registered
1990 Cabriolet, 2004 VW Golf TDI
1,249 Posts
If you're certain the original ECU has an issue, you could try to have it repaired.
OR, you could attempt to get another used ECU with the exact part # etc, although I wouldn't suspect any major differences between 2 ECUs if they were both designed for Digifant2 engine management.

Why do you say the ECU "got fried"?? What exactly occurred?
Have you attempted to drive the car with O2 sensor unplugged, or just run the engine in your garage?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts