VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

441 - 460 of 485 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'd say you're correct about that.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I haven't been on in a while, but I used to have a subscription to a thread where there WERE blueprints/CAD/SolidWorks files. My subscription folder is empty... and the computer where I did have the files saved crashed last year. :banghead: Go figure, now that I have access to the proper equipment, and time! :mad:

Yup, it was this thread, around page 5 the links are there, but they are all dead :thumbdown:

Found these on another site (just relocated them to my Photobucket :thumbup: screw those fools.. :laugh: ) :

Poster there mentioned he found them here.. so...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Calling all original thread posters!!

Modified by jetta88a2 at 3:44 PM 1-27-2005
I'm picking up a VWMS shifter in a few weeks, and then a friend of mine with a cnc machine is going to make a few copies. I'll supply all the dimensions for you if you'd like, and will also offer a copy of the unit for a price. I'm shooting for half the price of the real thing. we'll see what happens. I'll make a feeler post after the first shifter is made.

The shifter is coming along, (snip) as of right now we're only going to make the shifter for cable shift cars, but if they sell good then a rod type shifter will be made too. We already have a CAD file for it too.

A German Company called CAE makes a conversion kit for the rod change boxes, as well as a shifter for the cable boxes. Their site is here: http://www.cae-automobiltechnik.de
Here's some pics:

something like this:
http://www.directupload.net/sh...g.jpg
i guess i have to excuse for my ugly ms-paint skills

all mm
blue=195
black=13
light blue=25
light green=51
dark green=39
brown=55
tan=23
purple=50
orange=14

Can anyone download this 3d AutoCad file and see if what I created is accurate enough to work?
right click save as
http://www.cincidubs.com/shifter.dwg

Modified by JsnVR6Corrado at 11:34 AM 4-12-2006
Quote, originally posted by MaestroG60 »
I just wanted to let you know that I got my shifter from Sorg Motorsport today.
Great build quality and the throw is even ajustable...all that for 200 Euros (242 USD).

Got pictures of it? That is a great deal, how much did it cost shipped? I could not find it on the Sorg site.

Billy, the machining will be free just need to pay for material.
*edit* Just found pictures of the one on the sorg site. Looks damn nice for 199 euros.
Would you mind dimensioning the hell out of it for us people that would like to build our own?

Modified by JsnVR6Corrado at 9:37 AM 4-13-2006
Sorg Motorsport in Germany - http://www.sorgmotorsport.de
based on the picture, and the dimensions provided:

hopefully we can continue to dimension these out and the other pieces as well! if we get everything dimensioned out, i can host the CAD file for any and everyone... at this point though, all you get is a .gif.

Modified by mk2dubbin at 1:04 PM 4-10-2006
There are links to pictures, but a search through their subfolders at http://www.ryanrupp.com/ didn't find anything.

Quote, originally posted by wvonkessler »

I came across another clone of the VWM shifter piece one time on a Swedish site, but I've never been able to find it again.

http://www.stroevemotorsport.nl/
This website still shows a picture of their shifter, but nothing in that section of the page.. Grabbed these images though:

http://www.bildon.com/ Still shows a link and picture of their shifter (which I think is the closest to the orig VWMS unit), But it shows out of stock, Price listed $699.95.

"Item # 191.711.001.ZSB:
is temporarily out of stock or discontinued.
...or this item is a special order item.
Please review the item description."
A lot of the links to websites in Europe are now dead-ends, the sites simply don't exist anymore. :(
Are any of the people that posted links back in the day still have copies of the info that they can repost and share with the rest of us that still want to fab this for ourselves? Or does anyone have a shifter they want to sell, and I will make a Solidworks model for people to download? :thumbup:

I'm also interested in the 020 cable to rod adapter, found this picture, but no measurements...

It's sad to see just how stingy VW folks have become with their knowledge in the last 10-15 years. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
It's sad to see just how stingy VW folks have become with their knowledge in the last 10-15 years. :facepalm:
It's a shame how lazy people are, so theyd rather be given an answer, then tryin to figure it out themselves :facepalm:

If im not mistaken,no one asked for any dimensions. If Brian G. or anyone else asks for a dimension, I would give it to them.

No one gave me anything to help make my shifters. All the blueprints and dimensions I found were in this post, and not a single print had everything dimensioned. So your big post of all those links isn't gonna get anyone all the way to the finish line.... now what shall you do???? Use your brain??? Oh no! That would be terrible!!

I did the research on my own, and figured it out. Now if you want to be spoonfed and are too lazy to do some math or do the work yourself, then go ahead and take the easy way out and ask.

Hell, Brian G. is such an outstanding machinist, and everyone swings on his nuts, so I don't even understand why he would have to ask for a dimension, he could probably cast one and people would ride his nuts more...

So, if you are too lazy, or just can't think for yourself, gladly send me an IM and I'll walk you through how to measure. I will gladly give you dimensions, just ask:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have solidworks drawings of all 3 parts. They're posted in the last few pages of this thread...

I manufactured 4 or 5 of these shifters already, but they are only 90% done. I was selling a few to recoup my costs on material etc etc etc. I have cnc programs for parts as well, but I dont think I'm going to be spreading that around.

Issam, as you know, there is alot more to these shifters than the machining. I had to spec out all the hardware, and make sure all the pieces worked together as an assembly. I have ALOT of time dedicated to this project, and I was selling them for a super fair price, compared to the overpriced VWMS and other high dollar shifters.

I'll still share any specs or dimensions, or help steer people in the right direction if they need help. Just send me a message and I'll do my best to help

·
Registered
613 Posts
If im not mistaken,no one asked for any dimensions.
What has been the title of this thread from the very first post? :facepalm: It's what everyone who clicked the thread link in the last 7 years has been looking for!

Take pictures of any of these shifter components with a ruler next to it, in three std. "blueprint views" each and I'll figure it out myself with no outside help. And I'll share my results freely, 3D model, MasterCAM/Geopath files. I'm not into VWs to make a buck. Just to share in my love for the marque.

I have been a prototype machinist for the last 9 years. I COULD spend an entire day of Solidworks modeling, via trial and error, to get close and work from there to get the right measurements for the parts required to make a viable assembly. I chose to ask around and follow a thread to see if I could cut out some of the headache of prototyping. So excuse me if I'm trying to get help from fellow machinists/hobbyists.

P.S. Thank you audisnapr, you are at the heart of why I became involved with the VW hobby (aircooled and watercooled), friendly people willing to lend a helping hand.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Issam, as you know, there is alot more to these shifters than the machining. I had to spec out all the hardware, and make sure all the pieces worked together as an assembly. I have ALOT of time dedicated to this project, and I was selling them for a super fair price, compared to the overpriced VWMS and other high dollar shifters.
Yes I understand that very well . I know of a few people that took original motorsport shifters and had them copied as well. The shifter market is extremely Niche and I am just annoyed of having to read 13 pages and no publications of solidwork files so I want to do it for the community.
If you are looking to *sell* the shifters then I can run a private GB for you to help you out but most people in this forum have access to there own machines.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Ok, I understand both of your responses. You both make a good point, and I'm on the same page with you.

I made 4 shifters, theyre not even totally finished, and I'm only selling these to make a few bucks back for my time and money spent,I'm not tryin to create a business out of it at this time.

What I am saying is, there are blueprints, and they show 95% of the dimensions. I used the same "set" of blueprints that has been reposted on here many times,you actually posted it again. (The blue print of the center swivel piece, and the white print that shows the whole shifter assembly and tower) I made my parts from those.

The few other dimensions that were missing, could be figured out pretty easily, or they can be any size you like as they do not affect the function of the shifter assembly at all

I think I only saw 1 or 2 occurances, about 3 or 4 years back in this post, where someone actually got real specific and said " I need this thickness of this particular piece on this section of the shifter or a size of this specific hole" not just "yo yo give me some dims dog"

That is why I said, ask for a "specific" dimension, and I will do my best to look at what I have and share it with you guys publicly on the forum. Let's get some shifters made

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
baldone- If you have an O2A its a cable shift tranny. This shifter is setup to run cable shift... you would need additional hardware to convert it over to rod shift setup

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's a shame how lazy people are, so theyd rather be given an answer, then tryin to figure it out themselves :facepalm:

If im not mistaken,no one asked for any dimensions. If Brian G. or anyone else asks for a dimension, I would give it to them.

No one gave me anything to help make my shifters. All the blueprints and dimensions I found were in this post, and not a single print had everything dimensioned. So your big post of all those links isn't gonna get anyone all the way to the finish line.... now what shall you do???? Use your brain??? Oh no! That would be terrible!!

I did the research on my own, and figured it out. Now if you want to be spoonfed and are too lazy to do some math or do the work yourself, then go ahead and take the easy way out and ask.

Hell, Brian G. is such an outstanding machinist, and everyone swings on his nuts, so I don't even understand why he would have to ask for a dimension, he could probably cast one and people would ride his nuts more...

So, if you are too lazy, or just can't think for yourself, gladly send me an IM and I'll walk you through how to measure. I will gladly give you dimensions, just ask:thumbup:
In a thread titled ''Dimensions needed!!! vw motorsport shifter'' I would expect dimensions to be present before 445 odd posts, and 15 odd pages - thats all.
As for riding ones nuts.....simple dimensions are one thing, actually making something from said dimensions is another.
I simply posted for the hope someone would read it, and save them sifting through 14 pages of not dimensions.

Dimensions seem to be now in place above though, so hopefully anyone wanting them will read the last page first.

Brian,

441 - 460 of 485 Posts