VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically my car was rear ended by an uninsured driver a year ago :banghead:, my car was repaired properly etc.

Went to trade my car today and was basically told that car was worth $2K less, I had accident pictures on my laptop, showed the dealer, damage was $3k total, he agreed that it was minor and still wanted to buy the car but for less.

Anyhow has anyone here dealt with a diminished value claim on their R. Reading online it suggests that I am supposed to get diminished value from my insurance company ? Is this true, or do you sue the person that caused the accident. The individual was ticketed and found liable by the responding officer but I'm not sure how much that helps me.

helpful suggestions appreciated...

·
Registered
689 Posts
The dealer is seeing the damage claim on a Carfax report. You would need seek DV from the insurance company that paid your claim for damages. You may have to get them to re-open the claim at this point and submit supporting documentation of the diminished value of your car at trade. Given the length of time that has passed however, they may deny it.

Sorry, I'm not sure how fault is assigned insurance-wise in Washington off hand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I was rear-ended as well. I went to the insurance of the guy who hit me. Insurance company only wanted to give me approx. $1K in DV. I bitched until they upped it to $3K. Anything beyond that amount and I think I would have needed to get the help of an attorney.

Also, I would get the carfax report. The amount of damage you mentioned may not even appear on the report. Correct me if I'm wrong...but if the damage is under a certain amount, I don't think you have to disclose the accident.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts