VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diode. What type I need to use? Few other ???

Like the title states, I want to use a diode and don't know in fact what type to use.
Right know I've been hitting soft limp for the past 3 months and it's just driving me crazy. (Trust me I've check EVERYTHING)

I know by fact that you need to clamp the MAP with the diode. But it really would be helpful if someone can lighten the way for me. Pictures of clamping the MAP with the diode in our cars, colors of cables, place and stuff.

My mods are: GIAC X V.11, 4Bar FPR, ECS N75, MBC (Boostvalve), ECS Pulleys, EVO CAI, Samco TIH, TT Turboback 2.5" & PowerGasket.
Also, do I really need to use 2 MBC's (boostvalve) to control boost?. If or if not how do I need (and where), to set them up.?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
640 Posts
Re: Diode. What type I need to use? Few other ??? (fernsvwjetiv)

your most likely hitting soft limp because of the ecs n75 together with the boostvalve. i tried dialing them both in for 2 weeks with no success. mad power but i would hit soft limp atleast once a day.
either (a) put back your original n75 or (b) get the overboost kit or (c) run your boostvalve and n75 like this:

you can do the diode but why go on that mission. you can fix it for free using either option a or c. hope this helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Diode. What type I need to use? Few other ??? (Nu_Dub)

Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
The thing is that the car ran great for almost a year or so with both of them on it. They worked perfectly (not like that diagram). Then when the soft limp occured then I tried just leaving the ECS N75 alone and eliminating the boostvalve but it still went to soft limp, but in less ocations than before.

I am willing to trying it with the stock N75. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Still. I want to know more info on fixing that problem with a diode.

·
Banned
4,542 Posts

Try using the Boostvalve in the "OverBoostKit" configuration and set it to control your spikes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Diode. What type I need to use? Few other ??? (exS4)

OK, I will try the "overboost kit" http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
But still, like I said before, I want to know the answer to some of my questions. In particular what type of diode I will need depending on my mods. I'm planning on a future big turbo setup with the diode so anyways I want to have info on it.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts

For limp use a diode that keeps you boost signal at or slightly below the spec boost. For big turbo the lesser the voltage the more timing you get. To use a diode safely you need a VAG Com to monitor exactly what its doing. Its not just something you solder on and run.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Diode. What type I need to use? Few other ??? (MRP2001GTi)

I can get a friend's VAG-Com for setup and monitoring so thats OK.
Now. What diode I'll need for my curent mods (4.7, 4.3, 3.9 or 3.6)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts