VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today on my way to school, the outside temperature dropped to 39 degrees fahrenheit. The temperature flashed for a few seconds, a snowflake appeared next to the temperature, and was accompanied with a few beeps. Is this going to happen every time I start the car when it is cold? If so, is it possible to disable the beep. The snowflake is cute, but the beep is annoying.
Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Yep, it'll happen every time it drops below 40F. It's to warn you that there may be black ice. Mine did it this morning as well.
I'm not sure if there's a way to disable it or not. I would imagine there should be a way with a Vagcom.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (pork)

Quote, originally posted by pork »

whys it gotta be black ice?

lol

Ask the person that came up with that term.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Its silly how VW adds all these safety features (ride height, signal beeps, side-markers, easy-crush bumpers, etc) and everyone complains about them. Im not saying Im not complaining also. I just find it amusing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darn. I was hoping for an easy to shut the "danger Will Robinson" beep off. I guess the cuteness of the snowflake will have to make up for the beep.
I appreciate many of the other safety features of the car, but the beep every morning during the winter seems to be a little over the top. Come on, I know that it is cold outside! That is why I have the heat on.
Beeps for things like the seat belt and gas are super. Guess this is kind of a pet peeve.

Modified by walkeroh at 10:56 AM 10-24-2005

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Re: (walkeroh)

At least it's not as annoying as the carphone that came in my 1991 Audi CQ. Everytime you started the car... ~boooong!~ Much louder than the weeny beep from the under 40º F warning. I thought it was cool and "retro" since this was in 1999 when I had the car, but after a month or so, I had to rip out that outdated-passenger-leg-intrusion-piece-of-technology. My MKIV has the beep you're talking about as well. You get used to it, and won't even notice it after a few weeks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Re: (VWYankee)

So far it hasn't been too cold here - the only time I've heard the beep is while driving and the temp dips below (4 degress celsius for Canada) I'm REALLY hoping the beep isn't going to happen in the winter every time I start the car when its -20.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Disable beep when outside temperature drops below 39 degrees F? (walkeroh)

This happend to mine this past weekend, the snow flake appeared but I have no chime when it happens. I was wondering how you turn the chime on. anyone know?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Re: Disable beep when outside temperature drops below 39 degrees F? (Curt's06Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by Curt’s06Jetta »
This happend to mine this past weekend, the snow flake appeared but I have no chime when it happens. I was wondering how you turn the chime on. anyone know?

Sounds like you gotta lemon.You should take it back to dealership where you bought your car from.Maybe lower volume on your radio.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Re: (classicjetta)

Quote, originally posted by classicjetta »
From what I've seen on my parents 2003 Passat, if the temp is below freezing, the snowflake and beep do not appear. The temperature at which this happens could be lower, I can't remember as I dont get to drive their car much

I think the way it works (based on my 1998 Passat) is that if the temperature is below freezing when you turn the car on, the MFA will automatically display the temperature, but it won't chime. If the temperature goes above 40 degrees and then drops below, you will hear the chime.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Re: (vdub_shawty)

not to sound like a nerd... but i havent seen this snowflake chime yet and im kind of excited to see it now!

cmon... the last few cars ive owned over the winter have responded to the cold air outside by letting it inside, not chiming
friggin diesel camper van, i spent all winter with a propane heater on my passenger seat. how that for annoying!?!?

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (CrssEyedNSmilin)

Quote, originally posted by CrssEyedNSmilin »
not to sound like a nerd... but i havent seen this snowflake chime yet and im kind of excited to see it now!

I've been waiting for the last week or so for it to get below 40F so I could see it.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
the snowflake rocks. I've seen it. I didn't notice the beeps but probably cause I was jammin'.
If my car said "danger Will Robinson" I would probably give it a great big hug.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.