VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out later after I got my A2 with the VR swap that the pedal cluster bracket for non-abs was never installed. Just a nice weak hole and bolted up to the firewall. I put it off like an ass though I knew I was on borrowed time now it's cracked through.
Anyone have a non-abs bracket around they want to sell to a moron in need?
Also need info on how to go about pulling the pedal cluster out and mounting this bracket in.
Thanks..

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Disaster happened, clutch pedal through firewall... help? (Cas)

No suggestions? Anyone that's had to install this for their VR swap that can point me in the right direction?
Thanks again..

· Registered
3,367 Posts

you shouldn't need to pull the whole pedal cluster, just the brake booster + support. take off the 3 nuts in the pedal cluster around the brake pedal then unclip the brake pedal from the pushrod and remove the brake booster. Replace the bracket on the booster with the new one and bolt that all back in.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Disaster happened, clutch pedal through firewall... help? (all-starr-me)

Now i'm starting to wonder too... anyone know how I can tell the difference between the Corrado/Passat pedal cluster and a reg MK3 one? Hoping I don't have the wrong cluster in there too...

· Registered
732 Posts

Give us the part number you've got and I'll compare it against the one I got for my swap (in the sig, BTW), that came out of a 94 passat.
Quote, originally posted by all-starr-me »
you shouldn't need to pull the whole pedal cluster, just the brake booster + support. take off the 3 nuts in the pedal cluster around the brake pedal then unclip the brake pedal from the pushrod and remove the brake booster. Replace the bracket on the booster with the new one and bolt that all back in.

x2 for what he said. but add the clutch connection and slave cylinder too, if it's a hydraulic clutch.

Modified by dubCanuck1 at 12:18 PM 11-30-2006

Modified by dubCanuck1 at 12:19 PM 11-30-2006

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Disaster happened, clutch pedal through firewall... help? (dubCanuck1)

dubCanuck1 said:
x2 for what he said. but add the clutch connection and slave cylinder too, if it's a hydraulic clutch.Modified by dubCanuck1 at 12:18 PM 11-30-2006
What do you mean by 'adding the clutch connection and slave cylinder'?
You'll have to bear with me... i'm still getting to know this car. I'm looking forward to tearing everything out to make sure it's done right this time.
Here's a shot of the pedal cluster.... anyone verify if it's the right Passat or Corrado one?

No luck on a part number unless someone give me a better idea where to look.

· Registered
3,134 Posts

maybe I'm an idiot but I don't understand why you need a non abs system? Then again I don't see any difference in pedal clusters. Mine came out of a abs corrado and the only thing that is maybe weak would be here the slave mounts to the firewall but even then, that's reinforced on both sides. I'm more of a visual man, post some pics up.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote, originally posted by dubCanuck1 »
Yeah, have a read of this page. I've got a side-by-side comparison of the stock MKII and the Passat one. Also, further down, there's all the parts you'll need.

Which page dub? Did you forget a link?
Here's a poor shot of the problem.... note the rusty cracked edge below the mounting plate for the clutch cylinder. It's cracked all the way through around the mounting plate now so when the pedal is pressed... the whole assembly moves instead of releasing the clutch.

Thanks for the confirmation on the pedal cluster everyone... just trying to find out how many other corners were cut when the car was put together. Not fun. But considering i've beat on it for over a year now since i've had it, and it was well worn in for years before that.. i'd say it's held up well.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Re: Disaster happened, clutch pedal through firewall... help? (GLImax)

damn, I am an idiot, I see what you are talking about but that should be reinforced by the slave cylinder mounting plate on the other side, should it not?

· Registered
3,134 Posts

well your problem is that someone cut the original bracket for the slave that connects to the brake boost. it makes things a lot stronger. And its on the engine side.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Re: (Cas)

ya that sucks to hear man. Can't believe the people were that lazy when originally doing the swap. I mean, the firewall really is'nt that thick nor is it that strong. Might want to do some jb weld or something to patch it up a little. Just an idea.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.