VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

· Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disable fake engine sound?

Wouldn't it be great if we could cut a wire or pull a fuse to disable that inane fake engine sound? Or at least a toggle switch or menu setting. I realize it is for pedestrian safety but I think I would really enjoy the eGolf even more without it.

· Registered
531 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if we could cut a wire or pull a fuse to disable that inane fake engine sound? Or at least a toggle switch or menu setting. I realize it is for pedestrian safety but I think I would really enjoy the eGolf even more without it.
Not sure if it's using the same soundaktor the GTI has or not, plenty of those guys have removed or pulled the plug on theirs. I personally would rather it make a none gas motor sound and be more Jetson's like :)

· Registered
2,068 Posts
The sound is growing on me. I think it's unique and keeps it from feeling like a golf cart (no pun intended) at low speeds. I also like how it fades out as you accelerate and you get that high pitched spaceship-like sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2 Posts
Too bad they don't give us a choice of engine to mimic

i am not ready to disable things, but I would be tempted to hack the sound file if I could. Give us a choice, an annoyed V-12, (either Ferrari or a Merlin), or for real pedestrian attention getting, the clatter of an 8 liter diesel.

· Registered
23 Posts
New here (kind-of) - been a lurker for quite a few years now.

Pulled up a Rosstech cable HEX + CAN. Looks like it's located at Address C0.

The problem I have is figuring out how to change it. It looks to be locked by a passcode.

· Registered
2020 Tiguan SEL-R Premium, 2017 TTS Coupe, 2010 Passat Wagon DSG
1,355 Posts
I'm pretty sure if it is against the law (or it will be in near future).

On gas models noise maker is under the cover under windshield wipers right in the middle. Looks like hockey puck with a single wire going in.

· Registered
531 Posts
On gas models noise maker is under the cover under windshield wipers right in the middle. Looks like hockey puck with a single wire going in.
I'm pretty sure it's not the same on the e-golf since the noise on the gas cars is for the driver to hear, and on ours it's for the outside people to hear.... but maybe they did use the same thing... hmmmmm... maybe just mounted where it's more audible on the exterior.
The soundaktor on the gas cars uses the windshield as the resonator membrane, kinda cool....

· Registered
4 Posts
You risk getting sued if disconnected

The sound is there for a reason and probably laws require it. You could be liable if you hit someone with the feature disconnected

Ron

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.