VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have seen multiple websites where European folks can update their maps for their Discover Media and Discover Pro systems. I have seen there is an application called DiscoverCare, but I cannot find it anywhere. I have found a location where navigation maps exist for various locations of the world, but not USA (How to use and update your Sat Nav system | Volkswagen UK).

I have a 2018 Passat (USA) with a Discover Media system, Volkswagen Navigation AS North America v5. I'm reluctant to buy a new set of maps, especially when there are instructions for updating them.

Does anyone have information on how to update my system?

Thanks in advance,

Mario

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same issue trying to find updates for my 2019 VW Atlas. The Atlas has the MIB2 Discover Media 8 inch screen and came with V7 of the North American maps. From my understanding the maps are Infotainment based for VW models. MIB2 Platform is "AS" I've pasted a table below of what I've found. I'm trying to verify the latest version if anyone has tried it "V10" and to see if anyone knows of a Version 11 coming this year.

Considering that VW has released their MIB3 unit with automatic map updates I have a feeling that VW may have abandoned all MIB 2 unit owners so if V11 gets released it may be the last. I decided to do some digging around and it appears that VW has made updates to the North American Maps but the dealerships seem to be in the dark in terms of support on the Atlas. What I found was you need to know the actual SKU number to find them. Here is what I have found so far.

VersionYearRegion CodeRegionSKU - VW Part #PlatformInfotainment PlatformRelease DateModel Year
V52017/18NAR 2017/18North America3G0919866BHASMIB 2Sometime 20172018
V62018NAR 2018North America3G0919866BPASMIB 2
V72018/19NAR 2018/19North America5NA919866EASMIB 2 & 2.5November 1, 20182019
V82019NAR 2019North America5NA919866PASMIB 2 & 2.5August 1, 2019
V92019/20NAR 2019/20North America5NA919866AFASMIB 2 & 2.5February 18, 2020
V102020/21NAR 2020/21North America5NA919866AQASMIB 2 & 2.5August 1, 2020
V112021/22NAR 2021/22North America5NA919866BFASMIB 2 & 2.5November, 2021
V122022/23NAR 2022/23North America???Unknown

I've seen listings on eBay verifying in the buyer comments that V10 works on the Atlas with 2020/21 maps and I've seen Jetta owners verifying it too. Has anyone else tried this SD card yet. Its listed on VW Parts but it doesn't have details only that its a "SD Card". Also has any heard of or seen Version 11.
We are in 2021 this should be released soon unless VW has discontinued all updates to the MIB 2 & 2.5 Infotainment systems due to MIB3

UPDATE - Version 11 has been released

Here is a Link to the latest Part (Version 11 North American Maps)

SD CARD.
Part Number: 5NA919866BF
Supersession(s): 5NA-919-866-BF

UPDATE:
Looks like V11 has been released and its part # 5NA919866BF, I've Updated the table above, the SD Card Retails $170 on VW Parts Website. Some dealers will have it on discount. Its listed only as "SD Card" on VW Parts web. To find it just go to VW Official OEM Parts Web: VW Parts, Accessories, and DriverGear - Volkswagen of America Online Store and search for the part Number. You may have to update to your local dealer to see if they have any specials or delivery costs. Keep in mind the dealership is usually unaware of these updates and they see the same thing "SD Card" its not until it gets delivered that they know its a V11 box. ON another note the fact of the card being activated is not accurate. These cards don't have activation tied to them. The activation is on your unit for having maps. If you already have NAV enabled on your MIB unit the card is a simple swap and its all done. Dealer is not required to install, you just swap the SD card in the glove and that's it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Found MIB Solution in another thread and on the website, it has the NAR 2020/21 maps for the MST2 head units uploaded. Since all Golfs, GTIs, and possibly other MIB2 head units are made by Delphi, this map update should be compatible with most, if not all, North American owners who have navigation with their MIB2 equipped vehicle.

Installation is as simple as copy and pasting over the new maps over onto the original navigation SD card. Of course, it is recommended you back up the original maps onto your computer. Hopefully it actually has new map data and isn't just someone trolling us by editing some configuration files LOL. Since 2018gti over at Golf MK7 said the restaurant list got updated, it probably is legit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Found MIB Solution in another thread and on the website, it has the NAR 2020/21 maps for the MST2 head units uploaded. Since all Golfs, GTIs, and possibly other MIB2 head units are made by Delphi, this map update should be compatible with most, if not all, North American owners who have navigation with their MIB2 equipped vehicle.

Installation is as simple as copy and pasting over the new maps over onto the original navigation SD card. Of course, it is recommended you back up the original maps onto your computer. Hopefully it actually has new map data and isn't just someone trolling us by editing some configuration files LOL. Since 2018gti over at Golf MK7 said the restaurant list got updated, it probably is legit.

Excellent Find!, The question is has anyone got a hold of the new 2022 NAR Map Data and details of it. Or even better a way to allow the MIB3 data to work with the older MIB2 units considering VW offers the NAR updates online. The Navigation Data follows a standard which is used across the industry its just a matter of converting the data so the older units such as MIB2 can understand it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found this. I am a little suspicious of the seller's description that these have been all "activated" offline. I am running V9 in my 2019 Golf R and each version I have purchased was a VW part# in a sealed package and no activation needed. So I am not sure about the seller's comment. Over double the price but of course it's Ebay.
I could not find V10 that was in the chart LVAtlas posted. If anyone finds out further please post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found this. I am a little suspicious of the seller's description that these have been all "activated" offline. I am running V9 in my 2019 Golf R and each version I have purchased was a VW part# in a sealed package and no activation needed. So I am not sure about the seller's comment. Over double the price but of course it's Ebay.
I could not find V10 that was in the chart LVAtlas posted. If anyone finds out further please post.
Cards do not require activation, its based on your MIB unit having Navigation enabled. Its a simple SD Card swap, I have verified this on my own VW Atlas. Looks to be latest Version. I wouldn't pay that eBay price though which is too much. VW's official OEM parts has it listed for $170, you can probably get a discount at your dealership. On thing to note is that they only see it as "SD Card" and VW cannot verify the part until you order and it arrives, which is what makes these things hard to find. I've updated my chart above with latest part# 5NA-919-866-BF

·
Registered
515 Posts
Below is strait from ETKA.

Minor point, I think the release date for V11 was earlier than November as shown in the chart above, more like Sep (maybe even Aug).

Font Number Parallel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just found and upgraded my 2019 Golf R to V10. I ordered it online from a VW parts department in PA, $135 & free shipping. Knowledgeable guy, my local VW parts department just gives the "I don't know" shoulder shrug.
Communication Device Gadget Audio equipment Font Telephony

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cards do not require activation, its based on your MIB unit having Navigation enabled. Its a simple SD Card swap, I have verified this on my own VW Atlas. Looks to be latest Version. I wouldn't pay that eBay price though which is too much. VW's official OEM parts has it listed for $170, you can probably get a discount at your dealership. On thing to note is that they only see it as "SD Card" and VW cannot verify the part until you order and it arrives, which is what makes these things hard to find. I've updated my chart above with latest part# 5NA-919-866-BF
A good VW parts person can verify the version if they are willing to take the time. My previous post I finally found V10 for Golf R. I didn't want to order online not knowing. He has not seen V11 for the Golf R yet.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You can download V11 maps from MIB Solution :: Login
user/pass is guest & guest.

1. Download the file linked in the first post with the maps update. You want MST2_NAR_V11_MAP_LATE_2021_5NA919866BF.7z This will take a VERY long time to download; for me it took almost a day.
2. Pull your current maps SD Card from your VW. Stick it in your computer. First, check if you have a 16GB card (Maps v7 and below) or a 32GB card (V8 and above).
3. Unzip it. Your computer may be able to do this automatically, but if not you'll need 7Zip (see Download).
4. DO NOT format the card. Instead, just delete the old 'maps' directory from the card.
5. If you have a 16GB card, you'll need to remove files from the new maps to make it work. Go into maps/01/sds. I recommend you remove all unimportant states & territories; specifically US-AK (Alaska), US-HI (Hawaii), PR (Puerto Rico), VI (Virgin Islands), MX (Mexico) and CA (Canada). OK, I'm being facetious, but delete states or countries you are unlikely to drive to. If you're in the continental USA, that combo will just make the data fit on your 16GB card.
6. Copy the new 'maps' folder onto to SD card.
7. Put the card back in your car. Go to Nav->Settings->Version Information and you should see that you have the 2021 maps.

I was able to copy the new map root folder of the V11 ( 5NA919866BF ) map from MIB Solution site and move it to my V7 SD card that came with my 2019 GTI Autobahn. I just had to delete a handful of states and territories from the SDS folder and it copied fine without and space errors. I guess it is updated because the former Tapen Zee Bridge in Hudson Valley of NY state is now Mario M. Cuomo bridge, along with some random new restaurants that show up in my town of New haven, CT.

I backed up the V7 maps and was also able to go back to it by simply by recopying the backed up folder on my computer, so nothing seems destructive or irreversible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, I have seen multiple websites where European folks can update their maps for their Discover Media and Discover Pro systems. I have seen there is an application called DiscoverCare, but I cannot find it anywhere. I have found a location where navigation maps exist for various locations of the world, but not USA (How to use and update your Sat Nav system | Volkswagen UK).

I have a 2018 Passat (USA) with a Discover Media system, Volkswagen Navigation AS North America v5. I'm reluctant to buy a new set of maps, especially when there are instructions for updating them.

Does anyone have information on how to update my system?

Thanks in advance,

Mario
I have the exact same story except my car is a 2018 Tiguan. Do you have find a source for the maps? Volkswagon has completely dropped the ball, so far as I can see.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I downloaded and installed this on my '18 R last December, everything went well and I saw that my local area was updated. After all that time, I "strayed" farther from home and discovered that the background of all the map areas is BLUE (thought the water had risen!). I created a new SD card from my original d/l (since I verified the hashes on it), and discovered that one of the files hadn't been created the first time. All well now...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello gentleman,

I'm trying to update my Passat 2016 SEL MIB 2 nav maps. I have a very old V2 SD card, 16GB, display shows nav db NAR 2016.

I am happy I found this file, MST2_NAR_V11_MAP_LATE_2021_5NA919866BF.7z , from this thread and it took forever to download (I plan on providing you guys a torrent link for much faster download to help out)

I backed up old V2 maps folder on the VW sd card and copied the new ones on there. Had to delete CA,MX, VI, etc. as a poster said on here and it was able to fit on the card HOWEVER, when I pop in the card, it recognizes the nav card and says something along the lines of "navigation sd card is inserted" , then says "loading navigation", takes a minute or two, and then ERRORS out and says "Please insert a data storage device with valid navigation data." So it's not working, wth??? I though these are MIB 2 nav updates. Am I doing anything wrong here?

·
Registered
82 Posts
FIXED!! Courtesy of a poster name JM Popaleetus on golfmk7.com forums

FIX: Copied the old EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS file back onto the SD card. So don't use the new overall.nbs file from the NAR V11 update. Woop!

It seems that folks with older MIB 2 radios (2015,16,17) may just need to do this. 2018 and above MIB 2 units do not, I believe.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Just wanted to add my thumbs up for this post.!!!!
Downloaded the file (took forever) and unzipped it, Followed the great instructions from builtospill and everything worked perfectly.
Went from V9 on my 20 Tiguan SEL Premium to V11.
Thanks again for the link and directions.
Great thread !!

·
Registered
342 Posts
My 2017 Sportwagen has V3 maps. Dealer quoted $238 plus tax for the latest version (V7). Will the V11 work on the MK7 golfs? If yes, can I just use a fresh SD card rather than deleting anything off the V3 card?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone ever successfully used a new SD card all together vs copying the directory onto your existing?

I tried using Win32DiskImager to backup and then restore onto another SD card in hopes of being "non-destructive", but when I pop the new SD card into my '19 Tiguan, it says it doesn't recognize the card.

Edit: Found my answer on golfmk7; no you can't use any SD Card, unless you change the CID (Which is hit/miss depending on your destination card)

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 2017 Sportwagen has V3 maps. Dealer quoted $238 plus tax for the latest version (V7). Will the V11 work on the MK7 golfs? If yes, can I just use a fresh SD card rather than deleting anything off the V3 card?
You cannot use another SD Card unless you buy a custom made one off ali-express or some other chinese vendor and give them the CID number of your card they can clone. The radio looks for the hard coded CID information in the SD card. I do not think they are coded specifically for a vehicle but there's at least some vw-specfic parameters within the CID info it looks for to validate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts