VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to chime in on the thoughts that went behind splitting the two forums up, but also want to get everyone's feedback here because we certainly aren't married to the idea and do occasionally have lapses in judgement.

We launched a new Audi enthusiast website over the weekend call Fourtitude. It was suggested by those in the Audi camp that it may be a good idea to have a longitudinal 1.8T seperate from the transverse forum. If the majority of you overwhelmingly think we should keep just one 1.8T forum then we'll be happy to put things back the way they were.
Please let us know your thoughts on this and how you think we should procede and we'll act on it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Discussion on Longitudinal vs Transverse 1.8T and splitting them up... ([email protected])

Since its a discussion and no one is discussing I'll bring up some points I made in the other threads
(first if someone IMs me on fourtitude do I get it on vortex or do I have to sign in here??)
Anyway.
The differences that would be a matter of techincal discussion have nothing to do with engine layout
For example:
A 97-99 A4 or 98-99 passat have the AEB engine which is a cable driven longitudinally mounted 1.8T. The 98??-01??? European version of the golf/bora and some skodas etc have a engine that is identical to the AEB except that is is mounted longitudinally... Only these people can interact and help each other with techincal questions and tuning, solutions for DBW cars willbe of no use for them
In 00 VW/Aud in the US went to DBW cars. The passat/A4/golf/jetta/gti/NB all share a similar DBW engine. Again the only difference being its orientation.. YEs if your shopping for a downpipe they would be different however if your TB is closing with a bigger turbo setup. the solution is going ot be the same.. They share the same waterpump which may have similar problems. Whereas the cable cars share similar timing belt tensioners which may bea problem...
Then you have the 02 A4 Its DBW, its longitunially mounted. The head and block are similar to the 00-XX transverse and longitudinal motors however the fuel system is now returnless...
So there is no real way to divide up the forums in a reasonable manner that would be beneficial to everyone. As a whole you have a group of people who can help each other out. Divide the up and you have now cut that knowledge in half. Some of us are not going ot sit and read through both forums to try and asnwer questions, and if the person asking posts in both one will get locked for cross posting.
Also splitting them now while you are trying ot attract attention to your new site makes the longitudinal forum, which most of your new readers will probably be interested in, will be dead. They will read for a day and then bounce back to their old forums... If you can give them a nice big forum (with the illsions that its not VWs) that they can now come to then they may be more likely to stay .. If after a few months you find it gets congested with even more BS then I say look into a way of splitting it. But till it becomes a problem I say dont' change it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.