VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car was missing alot, finally it just died, would crank just not turn over! So I had my mechanic look at it, dist cap and rotor complete shot, as well as the distributor itself, got them all replaced 434$ later. Now the car runs extremely slow and pops alot on decelaration, my mechanic said that if he had more time he would look at it, cause I am in dire need of a vehicle, he said the timing is off or something it jumped because when the dist went bad?, what the **** is going on guys?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: Distributor cap replaced........ (Blitz16v)

Did he time the ignition when he replaced the distributor, or did he just plug it in and call it quits??

If not, he needs to.
drivingon9.

Modified by drivingon9 at 11:24 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
395 Posts

your ignition timing is retarded. your mechanic must be rusty. $434? a new distributor costs $180, cap and rotor cost $30, and it takes about 20 minutes to change it all. i'd rent a timing light and do it yourself if i were you.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Re: Distributor cap replaced........ (diablerouge)

yeah really. i'm actually betting that you didn't even need the dist. just the cap and rotor.
16v's will run like crap and not even at all if those 2 things are bad or worn down. mine was just running rough. points were all corroded on the cap.
$24 later the motor is nice and happy.
you may want to check the plug wire order. if the mech just slapped the dist. in without checking timing he may have just put the wires on without even looking.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Distributor cap replaced........ (wetgloves)

The Dist Cost me 220$ it was completely warped to **** and destroyed I saw it with my own eyes, I will take it back tommorow and tell him to do the timing he charged me for 1.5 hours of labor, ****ing a can't wait to get rid of this car!

·
Registered
5,418 Posts

mechanics don't charge how much time it actually takes them, they charge by how long the job is SUPPOSED to take, they go by a pre-determined number. The only way to get something done right is to do it yourself. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Distributor cap replaced........ (Freerevving)

Those guys are killing me, he said that he thinks the timing jumped a notch when the dist went bad, and that he needs to retime the engine which will cost 180 alone! He said he only has a certain amount of play with the new dist.
Can someone please tell me what is going on, I am going to print this and let him see what needs to be done! I am so frustrated!

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote »
the timing jumped a notch when the dist went bad

Rrrright.
It's certainly possible that your engine timing may be off a notch, but I doubt the above would be the reason.
It really shouldn't take too long to see if the engine timing is off. Just set the crank to TDC by turning the engine by hand (check TDC by sticking a long screwdriver in #1 cylinder and/or look for flywheel mark), then just check to see if the cam sprocket mark is lined up right with the head.
If it's off, then yeah - it'll take some time to fix, since you have to take a crap load of stuff off to get to the belt (it's funny how it looks like he's charging less time to retime the engine than to replace a distributor, when it's totally the opposite).
Have him prove to you that the engine timing's off before he works on it (or check it yourself).
g'luck.
drivingon9.

·
Registered
596 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Blitz16v »
The Dist Cost me 220$ it was completely warped to **** and destroyed I saw it with my own eyes, I will take it back tommorow and tell him to do the timing he charged me for 1.5 hours of labor, ****ing a can't wait to get rid of this car!
keep the car get a new mechanic or learn to do yourself, you paid $4?? for 15 mins. of work. ask on here for some local help, alot of them know what their doing and willing to lend a hand. i know i do if i have the time to spare.

·
Registered
596 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Blitz16v »
Those guys are killing me, he said that he thinks the timing jumped a notch when the dist went bad, and that he needs to retime the engine which will cost 180 alone! He said he only has a certain amount of play with the new dist.

there is no way your motor jumped timing from a faulty dist. it would just stop running. those two little plastic tabs on the dist that connect to the cam would break off before that belt would even think about jumping. if your Tbelt if in good shape and it ran good before there is no reason it shouldn't run good now,there are 2 marks on the flywheel he needs to set the timing to 6 degrees(the hash mark on the flywheel) NOT THE DOT(tdc)

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
Re: Distributor cap replaced........ (1988SCIROCCO16VW)

dude get a new mechanic. a vw or german specific one will work then be loyal to that shop. i cant remember the last time i got charged for "book" labor. good luck dude

1 - 11 of 11 Posts