VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Picked up a 2014 Jetta 1.8t SE not too long ago. Had APR stage 1 done shortly after purchase.

Not long after, I installed a CTS turbo intake, and that's when I started having an odd sound.

It can be described as a train horn, loud houl, demon yelling. I've done lots of research on the issue, and it seems a luck of the draw situation after installing an intake and stage 1. I've brought the car to the German shop around me (APR certified) and they made sure the intake was fitted right, and werent super sure on the noise part.

Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone have this issue? There no power loss. Nothing weird. Just an awful awful sound. Sure turns the heads, for the wrong reason haha!

·
Registered
681 Posts
It’s not even the diverter valve. That was a thing on gen1/2 tsi motors. It’s just a, I guess feature of the stock garret turbos that come with the mk6/6.5 1.8/2.0 tsi jetta’s. I have tried everything, adding power makes the sound louder, I did notice switching from an open intake setup to a closed intake setup it does reduce the sound. I think it’s just ****ty harmonics. Only way to actually get rid of it is to get a bigger hybrid turbo. It’s the curse of the non mqb gen 3 TSI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
You learn to live with it. I’m 250 miles into my APR Stage 1 tune and I don’t even notice it anymore. The turbo whistle is louder than the screeching anyway.

How are you liking the tune? Which Octane level? 2 Gear (if auto) is a beast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 5k or so miles into my tune. Absolutely love it, insane how different the car is. I wish I could bounce between stock and stage 1 so I could feel that increase again!

Automatic/Tiptronic, 99% of the time in manual mode. APR Stage 1 93 octane. Hurts the wallet a lot right now filling up, but I live with it 😳

Thinking about going with an exhaust system after I get my wheels fitted. Just afraid the screech will be even more unbearable. Ahhh German Engineering.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My 2014 SE has a 2016 GLI turbo
Full 3in turbo back exhaust
Lightweight crank pulley
Runner flap delete
Arm Motorsports boost pipes and FMIC
Custom intake from USPMOTORSPORTS
Reflect stage 2 tune stacked with a JB4
I’m peaking at 22lbs of boost and I can no longer turn off the traction control button or the stock clutch slips in 1st second and sometimes 3rd. (I have a 5 speed) I have a south bend stage 2 endurance clutch waiting to go in just haven’t found the time yet.

The flute noise is still prevalent yet usually drowned out by the sound of the exhaust and the better sounding turbo noises.

·
Registered
2014 GLI
27 Posts
Thank God this is more common than I originally thought. I have a unitronic 1.5 30 edition GLI with the usp tear duct intake and stage 2 southbend clutch and have been absolutely terrified. I could never find the source of the sound. I think it's just a jetta body issue.

·
Vendor
1,592 Posts
As others have mentioned, the "whistle" sound has to do with the harmonics of the factory turbocharger/compressor housing and it's configuration. Sadly, the only option is to upgrade the turbo!

·
Registered
2014 GLI
27 Posts
As others have mentioned, the "whistle" sound has to do with the harmonics of the factory turbocharger/compressor housing and it's configuration. Sadly, the only option is to upgrade the turbo!
Welp. Guess I gotta have more boost lol. Side note. Is there a stage 3 option through unitronic for the 2014 GLI? Everything I've heard is telling me I'd have to go custom tune.

·
Vendor
1,592 Posts
Welp. Guess I gotta have more boost lol. Side note. Is there a stage 3 option through unitronic for the 2014 GLI? Everything I've heard is telling me I'd have to go custom tune.
We have Stage 3 ECU Performance Software calibrations for the SIMOS 18 readily available, but sadly, we haven't done anything for the SIMOS 12 variant found in the earlier model years of the CPPA/CPLA engine. Sorry!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts