VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Parts needed:

Polo Parts(Required for direct Corrado tunnel fitment)

6N0-711-061-A $86.63 - Polo box housing
6N0-711-090-A $14.46 - Ground plate
6N0-711-611-C $13.02 - Selector arm (L-Bracket)
020-945-415-A - 02J to 02A reverse light switch adapter

MK4 02J Parts (Any Mk4 5 Speed 02J (1.8T/VR6/2.0/1.9TDI)

Shifter Box
Shifter Cables
02J Cable bracket
Selector tower

Recommended Parts

http://www.dieselgeek.com/5_Speed_VW_Short_Shifter_p/ss-sigma5.htm

All parts pictured here:

(New polo box vs the mk4 02J box)

Tools Needed:

For shifter tower internals swap
1.)Flat head screw driver
2.)T25 & T20 Torques Bit
3.)New lithium grease

For selector tower removal
1.)3/8 Socket set, long extensions and a swivel 13MM
2.)Deep 13MM (for the linkage)

For shifter tower removal
1.)A lift (optional but will save you countless hours)
2.)Depending on your exhaust tools to brake it at the header/downpipe (my car is turbo so you will see a downpipe.
3.)Pick/Flathead for removing head shields holders
4.)3/8 Socket set

For cable bracket removal
1.)3/8 Socket set, long extensions and a swivel 13MM

Shifter tower internals swap :

I didn't take a lot of pictures of this, but it is pretty straight forward.

Link to the writeup I did for assembling the polo box itself :thumbup:

Zach if you get a chance update your OP with a link. :)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...mbly-(56k-go-wait-people-still-have-56k-!-!-)
1.) Remove the bottom cover, prying back the tabs holding the cover plate on.
2.) Flip over and remove the two large "c-clips" holding the cable to the box. Next remove the two small "c-clips" hold the cables to the linkage. Pull cables out and put them right into the Polo box (to avoid confusion later). Install large "c-clips" back on the polo box to hold the cables.
3.) Use the T25 to remove the "L-Bracket" on the drivers side of the mk4 box, be careful to save the little bushings in here. Install those bushing in the Polo box. Remove the "L-bracket", and toss aside, you will need to use the polo specific "L-bracket" there.
4.) Use the T20 to remove the two bolts on top holding the top bushing in place.
5.) Remove the reverse spring, transfer the bushings all over.
6.) Remove shifter (comes out at a weird angle, just keep rotating till it does come out)
6.) Re-install in reverse order.

Optional: Tap the shifter so you can reuse you screw on knob.

Installation instructions:

1.) Prework:

1a.)Disconnect cable from the linkage on top of the transmission.

1b.) Undo large "C-Clips" from the 02A cable bracket holder

1c.) Removed 3 13mm bolts on the bracket and remove it.

1d.) Remove you shift knob/boot

2.) Separate you exhaust (This will very from car to car) If its stock prepare for a 20 year old rusty bolt fight). Plan accordingly.

3.) Remove the from heat shield, use the pick and flathead to remove the little discs holding the shield up. Remove front two 13mm bolts on the front of the box.

Remove the rear heat shield afterwards.

4.) Remove the two rear 13mm bolts, lower the shift tower.

5.) Flip off the old junk (required)

All removed, now to put it back together:

The stock rear bolts WILL NOT work on the polo box. You will need NEW longer M8 bolts for this.

6.) Use new longer bolts, bolt the rear back in first. Fish the cables up into their correct holes in the bracket on the transmission while doing this.

7.) Re-install heat shields in reverse order, reconnect the exhaust you are done down underneath the car.

Selector tower removal/installation

1.) There are two 13MM bolts holding the selector tower down on the transmission. Removing the side to side linkage bracket will aid in making this easier, so remove that. Then remove the (2) 13mm bolts. It can be hard to pull straight up, if you can get a long flat head screw driver and give the lip a tap from the bottom. And it should pop up.

2.) 02A on the left, 02J on the right.

3.) Install the 02J tower. Make sure the "tab" on the shaft is facing the front of the car, and the "cup" goes into the slot facing the passengers side of the car. Takes a little bit of wiggling to get it to bottom out in its holder. Install your 2(13MM) bolts. Should look like this when done

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Nice little write up, Could you also include a rough/estimated cost for the items?

I've been mulling this around in my head for a while, But I'll prob stick with the O2A stuffs. :)

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice little write up, Could you also include a rough/estimated cost for the items?

I've been mulling this around in my head for a while, But I'll prob stick with the O2A stuffs. :)
Polo parts are listed above, diesel geek pieces are 200$, other parts I got from a junkyard about 80$, so a little less then 500$

I am very interested in your impressions of this new setup. :thumbup: Guess it will hold you over until you inevitably join the O2M club.
Just drove home from the garage with it. If you use everything I listed (also added verdicts cable bracket hard bushings) it feels like a race shifter. It sits about 3 inches higher as well, which I like. Each gear is about 1-1.5" apart. It is pretty damn amazing. I'm going drag racing tomorrow, we will see how much this drops off my time. I'm guessing at least .2-.3 seconds.

:peace:

Rest of the pictures tomorrow night.

·
Registered
13,260 Posts
... it feels like a race shifter. It sits about 3 inches higher as well, which I like.
Longer means Longer hand movement though. I cut mine down before running the threads on it. Just another option.

@Zeb, why is it that every time I ask you about a Euro part, you tell me you can't get them. Now I see you are carrying these :confused: :laugh:

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Longer means Longer hand movement though. I cut mine down before running the threads on it. Just another option.
But it sits up where my arm can reach it. The way you cut yours its down lower, I have to reach and extend for that (like the old 02A). Look at most race setups, they are longer shafts to keep your body more upright. Also the length depends greatly on your size. I'm not very tall, and have very short legs and a long torso. This worked out great for me.:thumbup:

·
Registered
13,260 Posts
will this polo shift box mod work on a stock corrado g60?
I already have an O2J shifter, cables and O2J shift tower. i just don't want to cut the car if possible.
Yes, that is the purpose of the Polo Box. Plug and play (you need the 3 parts listed: Box, Arm and plate)

1 - 20 of 256 Posts