VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY: 034 Motorsport Snub Mount & Bracket Install

This DIY thread is for general guidance. I am not responsible for any hardship, mental anguish, pain and suffering, bodily injury, property damage, or death that may occur from your misguided attempt at performing this install on your vehicle.
Okay, so I have this same setup on my 2001.5 AWM 1.8TQMS.
This is my write up for my 2000 ATW 1.8TQMS.
The only difference is that on AEB/ATW motors, the bracket is bolted to a bracket on the block, while on AWM motors, the bracket is bolted to the cast oil pan.
You might want to get your car up on jackstands so that you have more room to work.
First, remove the front bumper grilles and belly pan.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Then, remove the torx screw holding the fender liner to the bumper on each side.

Now, remove the radiator support lining and unscrew the two torx screws on each side that attach the radiator support to the fender.

Next, unscrew the torx screw on the side of each fender that holds the radiator support.

Now, remove the two long 6MM hex head bolts that go through the bumper support and bumper shocks.

Remove the bumper by first pushing the bumper from the front, then grab the top of the bumper closest to the fender on one side of the car. Push it down and pull outward. Then grab the bottom and pull up and out. Repeat on the other side, and the bumper should come straight off.

Now, you need to unbolt the T45 torx bolts that attach the bumper shocks to the framerail.

This is what the car should look like by now:

Here is the factory snub mount and bracket:

Now, pull the radiator support out from the bottom, freeing the snub mount from the bracket. Unbolt the 3 13MM bolts that attach the snub bracket to the motor.

Remove the stock snub mount, which might be a bit of a pain. You should be left with this:

Here is the new hardware:

Installation is the reverse of the removal. You will need to lube the snub mount, and maybe trim it a little in order to get it to fit.
Overall, this job took me a little over an hour, including the picture taking. The shifts on the car are much more precise, and the motor is much more secure. There is a little bit more vibration than stock, but the new feel is well worth it.
Now go get these and do this yourself!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Re: DIY: 034 Motorsport Snub Mount & Bracket Install (TallaiMan)

Quote, originally posted by TallaiMan »
The procedure is basically identical for the S4, except the snub mount sits on a cylindrical protrusion from a bracket on the oil pan, and the snub bracket is located on the core support. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://www.034motorsport.com/p...d=560

hey...thx for the write up & a prompt reply that i didn't expect... ;D
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts