VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please Note: I am no longer hosting the images from this write-up! The images can, however, be found in this Installation Instructions PDF File.

This is a DIY for installing 034 Motorsport's new Track (80 Durometer) driver and passenger side motor mounts. This is just a DIY thread, and I do not assume any responsibility if a hungry Oprah Winfrey shows up at you house (or if anything else bad happens) as a result of you attempting this DIY install.
Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, let's get to work. Please lift the front of your car and support it properly with jackstands. Support the motor either at the oil pan or at the snub mount, just to be safe. Only install one mount at a time.
Here is the passenger side mount from the top:

You can either remove the airbox to get to the top bolt, or do what I did, and get at it from under the car.

Unscrew the top nut on the driver side mount. You have a clear shot at it from the top. Here is the driver side mount from the top:

Here is the driver side mount from the bottom:

From here on, the directions for the driver and passenger side mounts are the same.
Unbolt the sway bar where it is connected to the frame on both sides. Two 13MM nuts hold it on either side. Move the swaybar down and out of the way. You should be looking at this:

Draw a circle around the 13MM bolt where the mount is held onto the bracket. Also mark where the nub on the mount is that pokes through the bracket. This will help you align the new mount. Unscrew the 13MM nut holding the mount on the bottom.

Now, unbolt the motor mount bracket from the car. Three 18MM bolts hold it on. You should have these removed from the car:

This is what the location of the mount should look like:

My driver side mount was leaking stuff and was half melted:

Toss your old mounts, and install the new ones using the old brackets, nuts, and bolts. Start the car with the mounts tightened slightly, and then let them settle into place and tighten them to specs.
It took me 30-40 minutes total per side. I took breaks to eat, drink, and get hit on by the large groups of Asian girls that walked by (the install was done in a parking lot in Cupertino).
I am a huge fan of these mounts. The motor feels stiffer than the one in my other car, which has an upgraded snub mount, AWE DTS, RS4 mounts, and upgraded tranny mounts. This car only has an 034 snub mount and bracket, and these 034 motor mounts. Vibration is noticeable, but not too bad on the Track Density mounts.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
nice write up man and thanks for posting it. cant wait to get mine

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just don't get it...

I have an 01 B5 S4 and I can't even come close to getting a wrench, ratchet, or any other tool onto the top bolt of the passenger side engine mount. Your pic makes it look easy!

What am I missing? I dropped the sway bar, and mounts, pulled the rubber cooler line connector, etc. I tried going in from the top after removing the airbox,and seems like there is no access. My only thought is to remove the engine mount bracket, but I think I need to pull the starter to be able to get to all the bolts, or pull the exhaust manifold and go topside.

Any thoughts appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts