VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 parts list:
Wiper stalk from 97 car with the changable stalk.
Lcd cluster
Dash wiring harness from a 97 car. The harness unplugs in both kick panels and at the power distribution block behind the drivers knee bolster.
if you have a 1.8t and the cluster is from a 2.8, you will need to recode the cluster via vagcom. (Open vagcom, click instruments, click recode, read ur original clusters code, write it down, when you put new cluster in, recode it with your old code so the tach, mpg works, etc.)
98-99
you can use 98, 98.5, or 99 dash harness.
Will also need the stalk.
Cluster between 98-99.5 (cluster can be 99.5, harness cant be) they have analog clocks.
Same install directions as 97.
99.5 only dash harness.
98-99.5 cluster
Same install as 97.
I am currently working on a 00-01 lcd into an older car (digital clock). 00-01 are ME7 electronics and the interior wiring and ecu wiring pinouts are completely different.
My car is a 99.5, so i used a 99.5 lcd harness to keep my ME5 ecu happy. i got a gray 32 pin connector and grabbed my bentley. I spent 4 days rewiring my dash plugs. You dont use all the pins cause the ME5 cars dont use canbus like ME7 cars do.
I will be posting my wiring diagram once its finished.
I got everything to work except i get a false brake light out.
NOTE: YOU WILL GET A LOW WASHER FLUID LIGHT IF YOU DONT BUY THE SENSOR, REMOVE THE PLUG IN YOUR BOTTLE AND WIRE THE 2 WIRES UP.

·
Vendor
7,665 Posts
Re: FV-QR (triple5soul)

Quote, originally posted by triple5soul »
what about a 96?

Ditto, I am anxiously awaiting a solution like this!

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FV-QR

96 cars use me3 as well as 97's, but i keep hearing that 96 plugs are different.
so for disclaimers sake, you need to use a 96 dash harness (unless you can look at a 96/97 and see if they are the same as 97 uses me3 as well).. then you'll need a cluster to plug in, most likely a 96 LCD cluster.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
this tell me nothing about installing?? can someone shed more light on this
i have a 96 2.8

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FV-QR

if you cant figure out from reading, then you dont need to attempt to rip your car apart.
i tell you in my last post what i THINK you need for a 96 car.. go find that.. the dash harness.. if you'd read the posts, it unplugs in both kick panels and then behind the dash.. swap that into your car, along with a 96 lcd cluster (if we even got them here), you'll ned to wire up the wiper fluid sensor, which the bottle already has the hole, you just need to pull the plug out, put sensor in and wire it.
if you cant make any of this out from the posts, then dont attempt to rip your car apart.
just being honest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts