1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Re: DIY Boost Leak Tester (AudiRacerS4)

fixed that for ya

on here, just use img instead of image.
Quote, originally posted by AudiRacerS4 »
So my car recently had a boost leak in my car and decided to use the tennis ball method and took some pics of how it works. Its quite simple to do and takes all of about 15 min.
Tools Needed:
1. Tennis Ball
2. Flat Head Screw Driver
3. Knife (to cut the tennis ball)
4. Compressor or Air Pump

Step 1: Get a tennis ball.

Step 2: Cut two holes in the tennis ball, one on each end.

Step 3: Should look like this on each end of the tennis ball.

Step 4: Go to your car an find the turbo inlet hose.

Step 5: Remove MAF and inlet hose from airbox or air filter

Step 6: Hook compressor or air pump to the tennis ball by sliding it in the holes you cut before.

Step 7: Place the tennis ball in the inlet hose and clamp it in using the existing clamp.

Step 8: Turn on compressor and pump air into the inlet hose. CAUTION: DO NOT OVER PRESSURIZE!!! 10psi should be more than enough.

Step 9: Now listen for air coming out of any boost lines or vaccume hoses. Now you should find your leak. Mine was here.

edit: http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif good idea, emphasis on LOW BOOST.

Modified by hoveraudi at 1:20 PM 7-28-2006

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
this is a common procedure over at the DSM forums, only instead of a tennis ball we use a pvc end cap and drill and tap a 1/4 NPT and thread in either a barbed fitting or any fitting of your choice, then couple that piece directly onto the turbo inlet using a regular coupler.
BTW, how does the tennis ball not leak? it seems like you wont be able to tighten down on it since it will flex with your intake hose

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (AceOvSpadez)

i thought the same thing at first but the tennis ball does not leak. just clamp it in to the turbo inlet and your good to go

·
Registered
102 Posts
How do I check for a boost leak?

Hello,
I just bought a used Audi A4 1.8T quattro. It seems to stumble off the line a bit before getting going. I was wondering if it might have a boost leak. I looked under the car and noticed a boost tube clamped with a coolant hose clamp. It also seemed to be a little moist around the connection. Is there a way to check for a boost leak? It just slightly falls on it's face when I tip into the throttle a little.
Any ideas?
Thanx guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow! This just saved me $250... Did not expect this to work as well as it did, but damn am I happy! Thank you to who ever posted this!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts