VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after lowering my car, my braking just felt like ccrap...it felt soft and squirly, and then i remembered that I was suppose to adjust the brake balancer (proportioning valve) on the rear beam since i lowered it....well let me tell you, i adjusted it tonight and man, what a difference!!! technically, youre suppose to do this adjustment with the car on its wheels, but i didnt have access to a lift, so i jacked the car up on the rear beam, on each side of the car...i crawled under there, checked the adjustment, and the damn thing was set up all the way to the rear!! http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif Only thing i can think of was that my mechanic set it to full flow to the rear brakes when he was bleeding the system a year or 2 ago, and forgot to adjust it back....soooooo, i made a judgement call and moved it almost all the way up, which is the way to move it after you lower the car...and i'll be damned, the brakes feel firmer, more responsive, and overall wonderful...if you havent done this, i highly recommend it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Adjusting the Brake Balancer
Something the tuners don't always tell you: If you lower your car, you must adjust the brake balancer to compensate for the change in ride height, or you might experience rear wheel lockup and/or your braking performance will not be optimum. Some lowering springs come with a spacer for the brake balancer, so that this does not happen, but most don't.
The brake balancer is located on the (U.S.) driver's side, under the car, just ahead of the rear axle mounting point. There is an arm coming off the front of the axle beam, with a spring attached to it. The other end of the spring goes to the brake balancer.
To adjust the brake balancer, simply park your car on level ground, and loosen the 13mm bolt/nut combo at the end of the spring. Slide the bolt/nut until the spring is just snug between its end points. This is the factory setting. For fine tuning, slide the bolt/nut up to give more braking to the front brakes, and down to give more braking to the rear brakes.
http://members.dslextreme.com/....html

Modified by PDXGTI8V 2.0 at 10:01 PM 2-21-2006

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: DIY: Brake Balancer Adjustment (Jeramiah)

Quote, originally posted by Jeramiah »
hmm i need to do this, last year I almost came around on myself with rear wheel lock up

and once you do it, youll feel like you got new brakes, or upgraded to bigger ones http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif it's really that much better, i kid you guys not.....and its so simple, loosen the 13mm bolt, slide it up, tighten it down and your done...then go for a drive and post up if it helped you or not http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Re: (85Golf12v)

golfs do not have one, jetta's and gti's do.
just reaming it all the way one direction or the other with a guess is a little risky, with lowered cars i am not sure what your best bet would be, preferably some way to measure the bias, but i couldn't tell you how.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (The_Hamster)

Quote, originally posted by The_Hamster »
golfs do not have one, jetta's and gti's do.
just reaming it all the way one direction or the other with a guess is a little risky, with lowered cars i am not sure what your best bet would be, preferably some way to measure the bias, but i couldn't tell you how.

thats why you follow the guys directions up above, fitting it snug, and since ive been driving my car around with it adjusted all the way to the rear for god knows how long and am still here to tell the story, i doubt adjusting it to the extreme limits either way is gonna cause an accident, in this litigious society, I highly doubt VW would build in enough adjustability for it to cause a problem, and all I know is that it worked extremely well for me

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Re: (PDXGTI8V 2.0)

Quote, originally posted by PDXGTI8V 2.0 »
thats why you follow the guys directions up above, fitting it snug, and since ive been driving my car around with it adjusted all the way to the rear for god knows how long and am still here to tell the story, i doubt adjusting it to the extreme limits either way is gonna cause an accident, in this litigious society, I highly doubt VW would build in enough adjustability for it to cause a problem, and all I know is that it worked extremely well for me

it can cause an accident, ask broke how he knows.
and yes that sets the factory setting fine, but how you could safely fine tune it better is another question. plus with the lessened suspension travel of a lowered car the balancer can't do it's job like it can with stock suspension travel, some of the sacrifices you make for being cool i guess.
those things like to seize too. golfs have a prop valve that does not adjust or change with the load on the rear attached to the mc, those little cylinders you see between the lines and the MC outlets.

Modified by The_Hamster at 12:04 AM 2-22-2006

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (The_Hamster)

Quote, originally posted by The_Hamster »

it can cause an accident, ask broke how he knows.
and yes that sets the factory setting fine, but how you could safely fine tune it better is another question. plus with the lessened suspension travel of a lowered car the balancer can't do it's job like it can with stock suspension travel, some of the sacrifices you make for being cool i guess.
those things like to seize too. golfs have it a prop valve that does not adjust or change with the load on the rear attached to the mc, those little cylinders you see between the lines and the MC outlets.

Modified by The_Hamster at 11:51 PM 2-21-2006

fine, then lets just let everyone leave their brake balancer just the way it is, and have excessive amount of fluid sent to the rear wheels, causing premature rear wheel lock up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
oh, and i'd love to see how broke adjusting that little bias valve "caused" his accident...i'm calling BS...more like that was a convenient thing to blame something other than driver error on

anyway, i guess this thread is dead now

·
Registered
22,719 Posts

i never said let it be, definetely adjust if you lower your car etc, something far too often overlooked.
and yes, if too much is sent to the rear by lowering a car or misadjsuting it, the rears will lock prematurely. this is especially dangerous in the obvious circumstance of a wet or slippery road. say snow etc. hit the brakes, rears lock too early, spinout and slam into say.... a guardrail etc. but you knew that already, you just admitted that in the post before.
unless you mean having too little go to the rear causing an accident, which could be the case too if you have no rear braking at all, your stopping distance increases, problems arise obviously.

·
Registered
43,501 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PDXGTI8V 2.0 »
and since ive been driving my car around with it adjusted all the way to the rear for god knows how long and am still here to tell the story, i doubt adjusting it to the extreme limits either way is gonna cause an accident

take it out to a track, see how you fare there

·
Banned
14,893 Posts
Re: (ValveCoverGasket)

It's a very necessary adjustment when you lower the car, the best way to set it is by skid testing in the rain, you could use the pressure gauges as intended by VW to set it up but it'll still be wrong under heavy braking.
The stiffer the suspension is, the less the body dips, making the prop valve think the car is still loaded at the back creating instability and lockup, the prop valve lever length should be altered so it reflects the suspension travel, that's not that easy to do, so adjusting it to eliminate the lockup is the safest way.
BTW, Brokes issue was before he got the adjustable set up, and the reason why he got the adjustable setup.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Re: (ValveCoverGasket)

Quote, originally posted by ValveCoverGasket »
take it out to a track, see how you fare there

A friend of mine prefer to completely disable the rear brakes on his rabbit (now mine
) when racing at the track to get better advantages using left foot braking.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Jacking up the car using the rear beam will be almost like having the car on the ground, especially if you put something under your front wheels aswell.
edit: Only if you jack it so that the rear wheels keep the same distance from the arches like when it's on the ground.. Of course.

Modified by KaldBlod at 6:12 AM 2-22-2006

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Re: (KaldBlod)

Your really supposed to adjust it when the car has its weight on the suspension. I used a scissor lift (alignment rack) to get the right adjustment. Ive found the adjustment to be very sensitive,and like Vdubs said the lever needs to be lengthened to achieve full leverage. The happy spot for both my gli's (both lowered-sensibly) is directly in the middle. If you adjust it all the way front bias the car dives and feels like the rears aren't doing a thing.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Re: (mk2jet)

Quote, originally posted by mk2jet »
Is this for Drums, or discs?

thats for 8v drum brakes iirc

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.