VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just gonna get right to it... This is by far the best Customer Service you will get and most complete kit you will find. I searched for 3 years!!

LighterFaster.com (Adam Weeks) Owner/fabricator

Here is the Panel out of the box... Great packaging!!

I missed a couple pictures up to this point.
First, I elected to use a panel adhesive from a autobody paint shop, rather than tack weld or rivet. My rivet gun wouldn't fit in the smaller side of the "L" bracket supplied. I sanded both surfaces so there was no paint on either side for a cleaner surface. The adhesive is said to last for longer than your car will likely be around and hole upwards of 100 lbs from one bracket!! (I didn't test this)

The kit comes with all the hardware you will need, less the adhesive I used.
You can see the very specific positioning of the brackets for the panel to rest on. This is so the corners sit flush and the panel flex's with the contour of the roof in each direction...
We left it like this for over 24 hours.

Once you feel your brackets are dried and sit how they need to be, it's time to position the panel and pre-drill the holes for the recessed screws. (will see later) position it so the gap is the same all the way around the panel and roof opening.

Shot from underneath after panel placed and taped. Didn't like how those two brackets sat, so we yanked them off resanded and reset them.

Drill from underneath upward so the hole match exactly. Then counter sink from the top. *Keep testing the depth so you don't go to deep into the panel. The screw should be flush with the top of the panel.

Once all holes are drilled, countersunk, and screws installed and tightened, you can remove the tape, in preparation to re-tape the edges for the sealant.

Tape removed and new outer tape placed.

Once you have re-taped both edges, and underneath the panels gap to roof opening, this will hold the sealant from leaking through (Take your time to get the corners right) You can begin to lay the sealant.

Spread with a latex glove and dip your finger tip in Acetone for a smooth finish.

The instruction say to leave the tape on, as an experienced house painter I removed the tape as soon as I was done to prevent any running sealant under the tapes edge.

This is pretty much the finished product!!

Leave the tape on the inside for at least 24 hours to dry. When removing this tape I found it easier to have a razor blade handy in case the green tape decided to stick to the adhesive while peeling it off.

If you do pull a small piece through, I just re-taped a little farther than I needed on the outside and followed the same steps... (latex glove, acetone, remove tape)

I have washed my car twice and have had zero issues or leaks. This is pure :heart:

Huge shout outs for AMAZING craftsmanship to Adam Weeks @ LighterFaster.com

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
:thumbup: Nice to see something new and informative here every so often. That panel looks real good. :beer:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that looks great, good work. nice write up
Thank you...

:thumbup: Nice to see something new and informative here every so often. That panel looks real good. :beer:

Cheers brother :beer:, much appreciated

that turned out great. i dont know if i would have the patience to do something like that :laugh:
It turned out a lot better than I expected :D I think in total it was around 2 1/2 days to completion and everything dried...

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
seems like a lot of work, well done on your project

I'm just not sure what the point is. I had a non sunroof mk4 first and now have one and love it!

·
Registered
14,813 Posts
Maybe not so much in a straight line racecar. Plus the sealant is flexible enough. The side windows on a 2dr are held in basically the same way.

·
Registered
2009 A8L W12; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1982 Caddy 2.0T
8,317 Posts
Awesome job i would be more interisted in seeing the heavy glass panel replaced with carbon fiber and still keep the functionality of the sunroof though. Just my .02

Still awesome job cant even tell from a few feet back i bet.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Awesome job i would be more interisted in seeing the heavy glass panel replaced with carbon fiber and still keep the functionality of the sunroof though. Just my .02

Was thinking the exact same thing.

Sunroof looks awesome :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
seems like a lot of work, well done on your project
I'm just not sure what the point is. I had a non sunroof mk4 first and now have one and love it!
What ajnardo said. It's a track car and power to weight means a lot..

:thumbup::beer:

This wouldn't be useful on track cars because of the flex in the roof i would assume. The hard flexing of the roof panel with the stiffness of the CF would lead to the sealant cracking/stretching over time wouldn't it?? :confused:
This would no doubt be useful in a track car! There will be flex in the roof, but with a proper cage it would be minimal. The sealant is extremely flexible...

Maybe not so much in a straight line racecar. Plus the sealant is flexible enough. The side windows on a 2dr are held in basically the same way.
I have built this specifically for a road course car. Exactly, the sealant used is for windows, besides my rear windows are all lexan..

Looks like a great product. I wonder if he'll do a euro trunk for me and paint it. :)
I'm sure he would do a trunk for you, paint on the other hand, doubtful :confused:

Looks really nice man! :beer:
Thank you, it was a LONG search and to find a guy local was even better :D Cheers :beer:

I couldn't agree more! The weight saving was HUGE :eek: with the glass, electronics, and the track!!
I just put it in, and most people don't even notice it's CF...

nice:thumbup: i've only seen these things on a few cars...looks good
I haven't seen any where I'm at... Thank you :)

Looks good.
Cheers brother :beer::beer:

Was thinking the exact same thing.
Sunroof looks awesome :thumbup:
3 days for 100% completion, thanks bro...

looks good.. not so typical vortex mods :thumbup:
Yea, I've been away for awhile getting this money pit back together, but well worth it :sly: Much appreciated... :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
would do this except I use my sunroof on the dailyyyy haha

·
Registered
817 Posts
Been looking for this for over 10 years for my MKII Scirocco. Thanks for posting. $465 is a lot but I guess you gotta pay to play.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts