VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note - This DIY applies only to Gen-1 VW CC's equipped with factory Bi-Xenon headlights.

I used the new OSRAM 194 led bulbs supplied by DeAutoKey. I don't really bother with any other source when it comes to LEDs! These 4 smd LEDs are brighter and whiter than the previous 13smd LEDs I was running.

1- Look behind the headlight unit. You will see two round rubber boots (covers) as seen below:

The inner cover provides access to the "cornering lights". These are the lights that engage at lower speeds when turning your steering wheel or switching on either one of the turn signals.

The outer cover gives you access to two lights, the DRL bulb and the City Bulb.

2- Remove the OUTER cover by pulling at either one of the 3 tabs alongside the edge of the cover. This is what you will see:

The upper light harness is your DRL bulb and the lower Harness is the City Bulb.

To remove the DRL Bulb, hold the tab and rotate 45 degrees counterclockwise. One rotated, the tab pulls out easily.

To remove the City Bulb, no turning is required. Simply pull out the tab towards you. Slight twisting as you are pulling out the tab makes the process easier.

Once the City Bulb tab is out, simply remove the OEM bulb and replace with DeAutokeys Pure White OSRAM 194 LED as such:

3- Test out the bulb by turning on your Parking lights (if your CC light switch was upgraded to a Euro Switch), or by turning on your main headlights (if your are running the stock light switch).

Finally, pop the harness back in and enjoy your new crisp white look!

Here is how they will look from the outside. Notice the upper bulb is the DRL and the lower one is the City:

The following pictures are for comparison purposes.

In the following picture, the DeAutoKey OSRAMS are on the right side. Notice how this 4 smd led is brighter than the 13 smd led I was previously running (on the left side). The OSRAM only has 30% of the number of LEDs as the old bulb, however it is significantly brighter and significantly whiter.

In the following picture, the reflection of the OSRAM is on the left side while the old led is on the right side. The color difference and brightness here are greatly noticeable.

Finally, in this last picture ONLY the city lights are on!! No headlights, no DRL, no Cornering lights, JUST the DeAutoKey OSRAM bulbs..YES, they are BRIGHT!!

As you can see by the last three pictures, there is no reason to shop around for any other options.

Kareem (KOWCC)
Instagram @KOWCC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
DRL replacement to LED bulb

I would like to replace my current factory DRL bulb for an LED bulb. I have the stock projector headlights that come with the 2010 CC LUX. Where can I buy a good set of bulbs to do this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to replace my current factory DRL bulb for an LED bulb. I have the stock projector headlights that come with the 2010 CC LUX. Where can I buy a good set of bulbs to do this?

Thanks,
I am currently working with DeAutoKey on testing led DRL bulb options. Once a specific 1156 led bulb is finalized I will post a review and DeAutoKey will also mention that it's avail for purchase.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am currently working with DeAutoKey on testing led DRL bulb options. Once a specific 1156 led bulb is finalized I will post a review and DeAutoKey will also mention that it's avail for purchase.

So the city lights are NOT the DRLs? I'd like to replace my DRLs with an led bulb. So that's not currently available, only the city lights?

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
So the city lights are NOT the DRLs? I'd like to replace my DRLs with an led bulb. So that's not currently available, only the city lights?
That is correct, KOWCC will be testing some other DRL options.
If you are going to get a DRL LED, you should also get the City Light LED so it matches.

Thanks for asking :thumbup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
That is correct, KOWCC will be testing some other DRL options.
If you are going to get a DRL LED, you should also get the City Light LED so it matches.

Thanks for asking :thumbup:
Great. Wife and I just bought a set. I was speaking with you on reddit :) excited to get them!

Also wanted to ask, can we preorder the DRLs. Or any idea when they might be available?

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
Great. Wife and I just bought a set. I was speaking with you on reddit :) excited to get them!

Also wanted to ask, can we preorder the DRLs. Or any idea when they might be available?
Thanks for the order, we appreciate it!
We have someone else who runs reddit who is more familiar with the set up, but I hope they informed you well. :)

No preordering yet, but if you follow us on IG or FB you can keep up to date with new products:
www.facebook.com/deAutoKey
www.Instagram.com/deAutoKey

Or signing up to our mailing list gives you access to exclusive deals we do not post anywhere else:
http://deautokey.com/mailing-list-sign-up

Thank you:thumbup:

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

You can follow my on IG @KOWCC, where I'll first post my reviews of the DRLs. I also have other DeAutoKey bulb pics and reviews there as well!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the order, we appreciate it!
We have someone else who runs reddit who is more familiar with the set up, but I hope they informed you well. :)

No preordering yet, but if you follow us on IG or FB you can keep up to date with new products:
www.facebook.com/deAutoKey
www.Instagram.com/deAutoKey

Or signing up to our mailing list gives you access to exclusive deals we do not post anywhere else:
http://deautokey.com/mailing-list-sign-up

Thank you:thumbup:
The DRLs shut off when I turn on the city lights, right? Are "city lights" just the name for the headlights?

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
The DRLs shut off when I turn on the city lights, right? Are "city lights" just the name for the headlights?
City lights are not headlights, they are the smaller bulb in your headlight housing that are there to illuminate your housing and give more notice/a better look to your headlights, they are not there to provide light outwards onto the street. Your main headlights which are the low beam/high beam, and the CC also have the cornering Lights provide the light outwards onto the street.

The DRLs are only on when your headlights are off as daytime running lights, DRLs are great to have, some insurance companies actually give you a discount if you have DRLs equipped on your car, so many car manufactures add them now as it is seen as a safety feature to have that extra light on during the day. We are working on a crisp white pair with KOWCC, this will give a better more sleek appearance to your car during the day.

We also have an Amber city light feature now as some people wanted that look in their housing, KOWCC will be testing them out

And KOWCC has some great photos on his IG, and cool new product updates:
www.Instagram.com/KOWCC

Thank you

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. So does that mean when I install the city lights that I just purchased, and I'm driving in teh daytime, I'll have the yellow drl's running and then the white city lights? Is there a way for me to run only the city lights, perhaps by just turning my knob to a certain position? Sorry I'm such a newb to my CC

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. So does that mean when I install the city lights that I just purchased, and I'm driving in teh daytime, I'll have the yellow drl's running and then the white city lights? Is there a way for me to run only the city lights, perhaps by just turning my knob to a certain position? Sorry I'm such a newb to my CC
one final question -

http://deautokey.com/product/led-headlight-fog-cree-led-bulb-with-ballast-1800-lumen

Will that fit my 09 CC? Which option would I choose?

Thanks for answering all of my questions :)
No problem, thanks for the question.
I am not sure how your car operates, please let us know about that DRL/City Light, I thought ONLY the DRLs are on during the day and City Lights on with your main headlights.

We are working with KOWCC for a white error free DRL, keep a look out.

For the LED headlights bulbs, yes, ours will fit nicely in your CC. What type of bulb do you need in your CC, and do you have a reflector or projector housing?

Thank you :thumbup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
No problem, thanks for the question.
I am not sure how your car operates, please let us know about that DRL/City Light, I thought ONLY the DRLs are on during the day and City Lights on with your main headlights.

We are working with KOWCC for a white error free DRL, keep a look out.

For the LED headlights bulbs, yes, ours will fit nicely in your CC. What type of bulb do you need in your CC, and do you have a reflector or projector housing?

Gotcha - that makes sense. I will definitely be on the lookout for the DRLs.

I'm not sure what headlights I have - how can I tell? (newb...question.. :facepalm: )

Edit: I get my car back from the shop tomorrow and will take a picture and send it to you. Then you can just tell me what I need :)

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
Gotcha - that makes sense. I will definitely be on the lookout for the DRLs.

I'm not sure what headlights I have - how can I tell? (newb...question.. :facepalm: )

Edit: I get my car back from the shop tomorrow and will take a picture and send it to you. Then you can just tell me what I need :)
Not a problem, here is the different types:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.