VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Do this at your own risk*

You need an "H" type cluster or else it won't work.

Worst case scenario....you try it with Vag Com and it doesn't work....then you know you don't have the correct cluster for it to work on.

In Vag Com:

Address 17 – Instruments
Adaptation 10
Select “Staging” from the drop down list
Select “Active” from the drop down list
Save the changes
Done!

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcNMr5X4Vqc

Now you might not see the cluster staging happen immediately after enabling it thru Vag Com….that’s what happened on my car. You need to key the car off & then open the door and then close it, and then key on the ignition again and then you should see it happen!

OR

Instruments ----> Adaptation
Select "indicator_celebration" from the drop down list
Select "Active" from the lower drop down list

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAJhLf_KFOI

·
Registered
816 Posts
*Do this at your own risk*

You need an "H" type cluster or else it won't work.

Worst case scenario....you try it with Vag Com and it doesn't work....then you know you don't have the correct cluster for it to work on.

In Vag Com:

Address 17 – Instruments
Adaptation 10
Select “Staging” from the drop down list
Select “Active” from the drop down list
Save the changes
Done!

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcNMr5X4Vqc

Now you might not see the cluster staging happen immediately after enabling it thru Vag Com….that’s what happened on my car. You need to key the car off & then open the door and then close it, and then key on the ignition again and then you should see it happen!

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAJhLf_KFOI
How do you determine what kind of cluster you have..??

·
Registered
16,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you determine what kind of cluster you have..??
Run Vag Com & it'll say

OR

Remove the trim piece above your steering wheel (just snaps in)

Remove the 2 Torx screws the hold the cluster in (be careful not to drop them down in the dash though!)

Pull the cluster towards you & look on the bottom for the last letter of the part number -- notice how is says "H" in the picture (removing it WILL NOT do anything....it's still plugged into the car!)

PICS:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ha! I had no idea you could select to turn this feature on, I always loved that part of my sti cluster. Thanks for posting this. :beer:

·
Registered
16,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Totally off topic, but Dan - I'd love to see some aftermarket company develop a boost gauge kit that replaced and snapped into that little pice that you removed to take that picture!
It would be kind of interesting to see....just below the MFD too....BUT that piece is really flimsy though and then if you moved the steering wheel up/down you might have issues too

Unless you're talking about the bigger cover for the top of the steering wheel (like a column pod?)....cuz I'm talking about the piece that snapped into the cluster

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Cool mod. Operates just like the STi's cluster does during startup.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Got my cable via FedEx today and this was the first thing I did. Success!

GTI 4DR 6MT, build date 8/10

·
Registered
94 Posts
This isn't possible on any MK5 cars right? / Where do you see staging under the adaptations list? Does VCDS automatically update the list to match what the car has, cause I can't find it. Would be awesome if I could get this to work!

·
Banned
21,195 Posts
well got bored and checked and i do have the right cluster..but no desire to do the mod lol

99% of the time i don't even look at my dsah when i start up unless i hear a ding

·
Registered
9,462 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
did this the other day, Its a nice little touch and matches the staging of my boost gauge :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
I was hoping to be able to do this to go along with my Podi boost gauge but it's not possible on my 'G' cluster. The 2010 Jettas have a MKVI cluster but I think it was the first type. The H cluster is likely the first revision.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts