VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to disassemble the front grille of my Golf R and to not let anyone else suffer through the frustration I am going to share my first ever DIY!

I couldn't find a step by step DIY anywhere so here we go.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU DAMAGING ANY PARTS DURING THIS DIY. THIS IS MEANT TO BE A GUIDE.

Tools:
  • T25 Torx
  • small screwdrivers or trim panel removal tools (or both)
  • Credit Cards/Membership cards (something with thick plastic) Minimum of 12.
  • A whole lotta patience!!!!!

Step 1: Remove the front grille from the car. It is held by 2 T25 torx screws at the top then pull slightly forward and up to remove the grille.

Step 2: Remove the R badge. This is held by one T25 torx at the back (GTI is clipped in place).
If you need a demonstration Paul @ ShopDAP has a video here

Step 3: Remove the front emblem (note you can do this before step 1 to get the badge out easier. Paul also has a video of this. Be VERY careful using a screwdriver. I guess mine was too thick and gouged the end of the emblem which is now driving me nuts. I did unfortunately break one or two tiny tabs so I might just go buy another emblem at a future date. If you are using a screwdriver and you have the grille off I would start from the bottom. Once one the clips is released you just gently work your way around the emblem until it pops out.

Don't do this!!!!! Like I stubbornly did (circled in red)

Step 4: Here it gets tough. The grill is actually 2 seperate pieces snapped in together by many tabs (27 to be exact). I tried doing 3 at a time and work inwards but no.

What I wound up doing would probably be crazy to some but it worked. So on each side of the emblem there are 12 tabs on each side. I took whatever credit/debit cards and membership cards I could find. I wedge each one in between the tab and the clip to keep from locking. Since I had enough plastic laying around I did both sides at once. (If you have an old CC and want to cut it up this will work as well)

now carefully pry the two pieces out starting at the end. Don't force it! Be patient there's still another step after to get both sides apart.

Step 5: Now that the grill on both ends are at least removed from the tabs you'll notice that it's still binding by where the bezel (VW emblem area) sits. If you look from the back of the grill there are 3 tabs holding the two pieces together. One big one up top and 2 small ones around the 5 and 7 o clock position. Take some of the cards you used at the end and try to wedge them inbetween the tabs. (May need a screwdriver to help wedge a cap to put the card in). Once all 3 are in then proceed to take apart the two pieces of the grill.

Note: Pic shows with both pieces separated but you'll see the tabs.

Step 6: You're almost there. Time to take out the bezel. Again looking at the back of the grille you'll see multiple tabs. These are easily identifiable as the tabs you have to separate are silver (Circled in pic). Similar to the VW emblem you can start with two and work around. One or two CC should be enough to work around. The only additional thing is while you're carding the tabs to put some force on the bezel pushing out to help separate. Should come out trouble-free.

Step 7. The silver lower part of the grill is also held on by clips but 4 on each side. Like in step 4 use some cards to slide between the tabs. You can do one side at a time as opposed to all at once. Start from the inner side of the grille and work out. It should start popping out if not (DON'T use the screwdriver for this) use another CC or something with a blunt surface to work out the silver trim. Repeat for the other side.

You're all done. Enjoy the fruits of your labor and go get them vinyl wrapped!

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the write up as i plan on wrapping all the chrome in Piano Black vinyl.
Your welcome. ;) It was very intimidating as there's really no defined write up and the only way I found out was through my local VW group. Figured this would help the community.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nice write up. Thank you for putting it together for the rest of us.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ugh, man, I did this a few months back in order to wrap the aluminum pieces, and it was a pain in the a**! I did use the credit card/membership card method with the clips, unconventional, but worked flawlessly. Such a sense of satisfaction when it was all done...

Great write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's) / '21 SQ5 (on order)
40,616 Posts
Damn, nice job OP!

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice! Great job OP!

Now please share with us how u removed the bottom lip chrome pieces pls.
haha. I got so frustrated with the grill I'm just going to get the bottom chrome lip wrapped on the car :laugh:

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you unscrew the "R" badge, does the grill looks like it is missing a piece?
If I wanna go "stealth mode" and debage my R, does it mean i'll have to get a new grill?

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you unscrew the "R" badge, does the grill looks like it is missing a piece?
If I wanna go "stealth mode" and debage my R, does it mean i'll have to get a new grill?
Once you take off the grill from the car the R badge is held by 1 T25 torx screw in the back. When I went to my buddy's shop to pick up my wrapped pieces I forgot my R badge at home. Didn't look noticeable since the indent to mount it is very hidden in the grill. I didn't even notice it was missing until my buddy said "the only thing is I wish they had an R badge in the front too." :eek::laugh:

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JettaELI,

Thanks for putting together your grill disassembly procedure, and posting it! I used it today to black out my grille.
Glad I could help!

·
Registered
268 Posts
JettaELI,

Thanks for putting together your grill disassembly procedure, and posting it! I used it today to black out my grille.
What did you use to black out the grill? Looks fantastic. I was going to buy a black grill, but can't find one and really want to do this. I hate chrome!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Awesome guide!

Is it correct that I need to disassembly the hole front grill to get the aluminium strip out? :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts