VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Guys, this isn't clearly stated anywhere, but make sure the engine is running when you do the level check. If you turn the engine off after warming up, more trans fluid will run out of the level check plug making it seem like its overfilled. If you do it while its running and after cycling through all of the gears, you will get an accurate fill level.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You've clearly screwed up!

Guys, this isn't clearly stated anywhere, but make sure the engine is running when you do the level check. If you turn the engine off after warming up, more coolant will run out of the level check plug making it seem like its overfilled. If you do it while its running and after cycling through all of the gears, you will get an accurate fill level.
If you've got coolant running out of your level check plug...you've clearly screwed up:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
might as well keep it going

Good morning fellow VW & TDI folks. I've read this thread from start to finish and want to thank each one for documenting your experience. Since I am going to do this today, I thought I would add the photographs of what my tranny sludge will look like. It is a 2004 MK4 Jetta GLS-TDI (BEW). I purchased it in 2008 with less than 60K miles and now it has 170k miles. I do all of the maintenance and repairs myself, but I've never changed the fluid and I'm sure the PO did not either. The only issue I have is that when I'm cruising at 60-65 with CC engaged and hit a slight upgrade, the thing will slip back into 4th, revving up, then back into 5th. It sometimes does this continuously until I remove the cruise control and control the accelerator pedal manually. This used to only happen on bridges and overpasses, but now I think it is getting worse; it happens on flat ground with only minimal increase in grade.

It also needs new (or rebuilt) axle shafts because I get the shakes on acceleration from 45-55, Of course, it also needs shocks, struts and probably other suspension components. But first I want to get the tranny fluid changed out a few times to make sure the investment in suspension parts will give some returns. Here I go, wish me luck!!

Earl
2004 Jetta TDI (my new driver)
1975 MBZ 450 SL (for sale)
1982 MBZ 240D (for sale- unfortunately)
1984 MBZ 300D (garaged)
1993 MBZ 300CE (wife's new driver)

·
Registered
2 Posts
2004 TDI Tiptronic ATF change-outs

So, as promised I am uploading the results of my A9 Tiptronic ATF exchange for my 2004 A4 Jetta TDI (BEW). I did not utilize the level tube, preferring to simply drain, measure and refill and on the first go-around I added an a extra half quart. Last week, I removed 3.25 qts of mostly brown, but better than expected fluid and added 3.75 qts of the Valvoline Max Life synthetic ATF. Yesterday, I did it again, removing 3.5 qts and adding 3.5 qts back. The color change was perceptible, although barely.

The wire looms were easy to un-clip from their holders and move aside from the fill plug area. Then I was able to use a pick tool to depress the lock ring tab, but that was a waste, because the hinged side fell right apart. As previously stated, the lock ring is no longer needed or used. Once jacked and blocked, I found that to use the 24MM socket on the drain plug, the steel transmission guard had to be removed because it covered a portion of the plug. The draining, measuring and adding back was pretty easy and the photos show how little difference there was between the 1st and 2nd change-outs. I plan on doing this each Saturday until the ATF exhibits a significant improvement.

Once this is done, the thermostat, coolant temp sensor and coolant will be addressed. After that perhaps a new timing belt & water pump and finally axles and suspension components.

Edit- so I do not see any way of adding picture attachments, so sorry.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
So, as promised I am uploading the results of my A9 Tiptronic ATF exchange for my 2004 A4 Jetta TDI (BEW). I did not utilize the level tube, preferring to simply drain, measure and refill and on the first go-around I added an a extra half quart. Last week, I removed 3.25 qts of mostly brown, but better than expected fluid and added 3.75 qts of the Valvoline Max Life synthetic ATF. Yesterday, I did it again, removing 3.5 qts and adding 3.5 qts back. The color change was perceptible, although barely.

The wire looms were easy to un-clip from their holders and move aside from the fill plug area. Then I was able to use a pick tool to depress the lock ring tab, but that was a waste, because the hinged side fell right apart. As previously stated, the lock ring is no longer needed or used. Once jacked and blocked, I found that to use the 24MM socket on the drain plug, the steel transmission guard had to be removed because it covered a portion of the plug. The draining, measuring and adding back was pretty easy and the photos show how little difference there was between the 1st and 2nd change-outs. I plan on doing this each Saturday until the ATF exhibits a significant improvement.

Once this is done, the thermostat, coolant temp sensor and coolant will be addressed. After that perhaps a new timing belt & water pump and finally axles and suspension components.

Edit- so I do not see any way of adding picture attachments, so sorry.

I already did 3 ATF oil changes within last 3 months using Valvoline Synthetic and every time i drained fluid each time there is slight improvement in color but i am afraid that it will take at least 5-7 changes to clean out most of OEM fluid. I will keep doing oil changes at least every 10k for while ,since i just replaced my Solonoids and my transmission shifts like new ,I want to keep it that way and get another 100k out of it ....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Went to a German auto shop that is "respected" in our area to resolve an issue with my 05 MKIV Jetta 1.8T 09A transmission. It would not come out of first gear. Read the other threads and looked like a solenoid issue. So had them changed and the mechanic them told me it is slipping between 2nd/3rd gear. Said I should now replace entire transmission. Said no, paid my bill and drove it home. And yes it was slipping badly and it wasn't before I brought it in. Called mechanic back and they said they checked fluid level twice and it was fine.

I went through this page and just wanted to check fluid level myself. After putting in 4 liters of OEM transmission fluid while the car was running, it still did not come out the top. I know this tranny only holds 9L total, so just wanted to double check that i should fill it all the way up until it slowly drips out the top.

I did take it out for a test drive and now it shifts properly. So not sure I should put more in.

Also note, that when I brought it in, I started hearing a noise from the transmission that sounded like the internal pump was going. Same noise after I left shop. After putting in 2 liters, the noise went away. Think I got scammed even on the solenoid replacement since I think it was low on fluid all along. Guess I paid for being lazy and not checking the fluid level in the first place. But thought this well respected shop would do the right thing. Oh well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They may have not run the engine when taking the 'fill' plug out.
Well, I brain farted this morning as well. I was thinking this was like a differential where it came out the fill hole Just didn't seem right so I went through the instructions again. After reading the thread more closely I found the overflow check plug. Removed the check plug and 2.25 Liters came out with engine running. Added back another .5 liters. took it out for a drive and it was perfect. Anyways, still doesn't change the fact that it was not filled properly. Happy it is working now. What kept eating at me was a clear change in the transmission noise at 1.5L.

Note I can't see the original pictures in this post anymore. Anyone else have the same issue?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Well, I brain farted this morning as well. I was thinking this was like a differential where it came out the fill hole Just didn't seem right so I went through the instructions again. After reading the thread more closely I found the overflow check plug. Removed the check plug and 2.25 Liters came out with engine running. Added back another .5 liters. took it out for a drive and it was perfect. Anyways, still doesn't change the fact that it was not filled properly. Happy it is working now. What kept eating at me was a clear change in the transmission noise at 1.5L.

Note I can't see the original pictures in this post anymore. Anyone else have the same issue?
Original pics were hosted on Photobucket and they changed their policy and want $400 per year to allow 3rd party linking. Unless the op re-hosts the pictures somewhere and updates the thread, they are lost. Photobucket is really screwing tons of old threads with their ridiculous pricing.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I recently acquired an '05 GLI with the 09a. 2-3 shifts were like missing a gear with a manual and I was almost about to buy a full set of solenoids when I happened across this thread. 2nd to 3rd were a miss and you could hear moaning from the tranny itself. Since I am already troubleshooting a plethora of other DTCs why not knock out a potentially easy fix.

AutoZone was running a special on Castrol Transmax Mercon V; 2 for $12. So I bought 4 bottles. I rode around 5 minutes or so until the engine was warm and then I pulled it up on some homemade ramps. I pulled the drain plug and only a small amount came out. It measured at 1.3 quarts. Not nearly as much as others here have drained. Knowing it was likely low already I added the 4 quarts in that I had purchased and have no concern with the side fill/drain nor the Vag Com readings.

I eased off the ramps and ran it through the gears in the driveway. Then out onto the road I went and I'll be damned it went through all the gear shifts without missing one. It's not perfect, but 98% better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DIY Drain/Refill Fluid on 09A 5-Speed Tiptronic Transmission
(This is simply a guide. Perform the procedures at your own risk/responsibility.)
1. Raise the car with a jack. Remove the 24mm (15/16 inch socket will work, just don’t strip it) drain plug and drain out the fluid (approximately 3 quarts or 2.84 liters came out of my car)

2. Use a new drain plug + washer and replace it. (new parts required only sometimes according to wear and tear)

3. Remove red tamper seal on fill plug and remove the plug. Then suspend a funnel from the top of the hood with a hose running into the hole. Pour in 3 quarts of Mercon V Fluid. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic Mercon V ATF. It was about $7 a quart from Advance Auto Parts. According to Coolvdub, this fluid has worked equal to if not better than the OEM fluid’s performance for a fraction of the price.

There is a wire loom that is hooked onto a metal bracket. You can pop it out of the bracket to get better access to the cap. It is circled in the picture in yellow.

Once you take the red tamper protector off, this is the black cap that comes out. As you can see, I had to break the sides quite a bit to get a flat screw driver in to pry it off. 60,000 miles of heat made it become stuck on pretty tight.

This is the funnel that I used. The tip of the funnel has a ½ inch diameter. This just fits into the filling hole. This means that you could use a few feet of ¾ inch hose and plug one end into the filling hole and one end into the funnel. Then all you would have to do is suspend the funnel a few feet above the engine bay right under the hood and it would do the same thing that the $250 dollar VAG 1924 tool does.
4. Lower the car back down off the jack. While keep all filling apparatus in place, hook up VAG-COM to the car and start the engine. Move the gear selector through each position for about 10 seconds.
5. [Select]
[02 - Auto Trans]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Set group to "004"
[Go!]
The value in field 1 should be ATF temp in °C.
6. When the ATF transmission reaches around 40°C, place the pan under the check plug. Take the plug out. If a little bit of fluid drips out, the level is correct. If nothing comes out, add a little more until it overflows to a drip. Replace the check plug. (for this step, use of a shallow drain pan allows you to not have to jack up a side of the car and get the most accurate fill)

7. Replace the fill plug and red tamper cap. (If you broke the red tamper cap as I did, it’s cool. The black fill plug will stay on without.)
8. Take the car out for a test drive. According to Coolvdub on VWVortex who practices this, overfilling the transmission from a ¼ to a ½ quart makes it shift smoother in his opinion.
9. I did this as well. Even though I drained out 3 quarts or 2.84 quarts. I put back 3.5 quarts or 3.31 liters into the transmission. After reading the threads on the forum, when people followed the Bentley repair manual procedures to the letter, the over flow plug would start dripping fluid at about 2.75 quarts or 2.60 liters. However, after driving the car, they would get groaning noises. When they would add in about half a quart of fluid, the car would be happy. Therefore, 3 quarts is the baseline figure plus ¼ to ½ quart of fluid.
10. I can attribute this error to the fact that there haven’t been enough transmission failures for VW to revise the procedures for draining and refilling the transmission. Think about how they revised the 105k timing belt to a 60k interval now.
Credit to Don aka Coolvdub for taking some of the pictures and verifying the steps and instructions of the procedure via email to me
Great write up! Is there an overflow tube that needs to be removed to get all the fluid out? Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi im new here.i bought bora with 09a 5speed box am have problem too.first one is that the shifter inside is broken was like and found that they have 2 plugs and its without sensors and i find forum that said he change it and 3rd gear comes good.second that when its cold wont change gear they drive till 40kmh i think they use first and second gear only after i swear and it hot they start goes up in kmh but still they miss the 3rd too.3rd i change the oil and found it like new and makes how people i listen open plugs 10sec every gear etcc.i think that i have and check alot some solonoid ****ed i found forums how to check solonoid with mutimeter and other tools and people said change them and comes good.some opinion thanks

Attachments

121 - 140 of 144 Posts