VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're one of the many MKIV owners who have a washer fluid leak, then you should check out the following as the potential cause and fix. This leak seems to be fairly common, especially on older MKIVs that have the older-style fluid pump. There is at least one newer version of the pump than the one that came with my '99.5, and hopefully the leaking is not a problem on these newer versions. The pics below are of the older-style pump.
If you don't know where your washer fluid reservoir is, then look for the red arrow in the picture below. It's the white tank with the blue flip cap on top of it. If you actually need the picture to find the reservoir, then maybe you should skip the rest of the DIY and just take the car to a dealer or shop. FYI, the pic below is for a MKIV 12v VR6, and although the engine bay will look differently for other engines, the washer fluid reservoir is in the same place on all MKIVs.

If you look on the driver's side of the reservoir, you can see the fluid pump (red arrow). It's has a wiring harness on the top, an output on the side towards the bottom and has a feed tube on the bottom that is pressed into a rubber seal in a hole in the tank.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

The picture below shows the output tube for the fluid pump. This older-style pump only has a single output, while the newer-style pumps have a dual output. I'm not sure how much different the outputs are and whether the discussion below also pertains to the newer pumps as well. The output on the older-style pump connects to a hose via a rigt angle fitting. This hose is what carries the washer fluid up to the spray jets near the windshield. The problem that results in the fluid leak is the connection between the hose and the right angle fitting. The hose end is simply shrink-wrapped onto the fitting without any clamps and over time, becomes loose and leaks at the interface between the hose and fitting (red arrow). Mine was so loose that you could easily spin the fitting around 360° within the hoe without much effort at all. No wonder why it leaked.

The fix is actually very simple and luckily doesn't require anything to be replaced. Since I couldn't find any hose clamps small enough to work in this situation, I pulled the angle fitting and hose off of the pump outlet and simply put two very small wire zip-ties around the fitting, with the latches 180° from each other, as shown by the red arrows in the picture below. This tightened up the fitting substatially and eliminated the leak. I used two ties at 180° because the ties don't apply perfectly circumferential pressure, especially in the area off the latch (or whatever it's really called). Using more than one tie and staggering the latches ensures that all 360° of the fitting has good pressure on it and is analogous to staggering the gap on piston rings.

Well, that's it. Give it a shot and see if it helps. It did for me.

As always, do this procedure at your own risk. I am not responsible for any mistakes in the above procedure or those that you make while performing it.

Modified by VgRt6 at 2:00 PM 1-10-2007

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: DIY - Fixing a leaking MKIV windshield washer fluid reservoir pump (VgRt6)

Nice DIY! I tried to wash the windshield on my 2001 jetta vr6 and got nothing...no noise or anything. Fluid is full and fuse is good. Any ideas?????

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Re: DIY - Fixing a leaking MKIV windshield washer fluid reservoir pump (VR62001)

Quote, originally posted by VR62001 »
Nice DIY! I tried to wash the windshield on my 2001 jetta vr6 and got nothing...no noise or anything. Fluid is full and fuse is good. Any ideas?????

So the pump motor is not working. Check the connector, and have a buddy pull the lever while you put a voltmeter across the leads. If there's power there, there is something wrong with the motor. If not, it's a larger electrical issue.
Mike

·
Registered
21,094 Posts
Re: (TekNINEx20thAE)

Renewal for a good DIY and even closer to what I need to do... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
930 Posts
Re: (flygliii)

Awesome!
I've used 4 of your DIY's so far and saved a bunch of money and learned a lot. Thanks for all your effort!!

·
Registered
402 Posts

nice write up. mine's got a leak too! just not from there... I took the right angle connector off and inspected the connection to the hose and it seems pretty tight. how were you guys able to get your hands down there to put the zip ties on?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Re: DIY - Fixing a leaking MKIV windshield washer fluid reservoir pump (SuperMonkey)

Quote, originally posted by SuperMonkey »
how were you guys able to get your hands down there to put the zip ties on?

I recruited my GF. No way were my hands fitting down there.

Modified by Kessler at 12:07 AM 10-26-2008

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Re: DIY - Fixing a leaking MKIV windshield washer fluid reservoir pump (Kessler)

Quote, originally posted by Kessler »

I recruited my GF. No way were my hands fitting down there.

Nice

If you can't get your hands in there, you could remove the bumper and headlight. That'll give you lots of room http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
140 Posts

i havnt checked to see if this is the case with mine, but do your jets suck as much as mine? they only spray a quarter of the windshield.. could this loose connection cause the low pressure of the spray?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Re: DIY - Fixing a leaking MKIV windshield washer fluid reservoir pump (italgti)

right.. so what if the connector your talking about is hooked up, but thers another one that isn't??

Modified by 03VR6man at 10:13 AM 2-13-2009

·
Registered
167 Posts
my rear squirter has never worked since i got it. fronts have, but about a month ago they stopped working and my fluid leaks out that hose unless its propped up like it is there... bleh..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts