VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
>>>DIY New Beetle seat removal/install (also for mk4 jetta/gti/golf)<<<
Only difference is the jetta/gti/golf have a split rear seat, but still same concept as the NB!

If any of the pics go down, send me a PM and I’ll fix them http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
***DISCLAIMER: As with all DIYs, I am not responsible if something goes wrong. Attempt at your own risk.***
DIFFICULTLY: Not very difficult at all. If you can change your car’s oil, I believe you can do this fairly easily. PLEASE make sure you read through this entire DIY before attempting. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM and I’d be happy to help out.
TOOLS: REQUIRED: 10 MM socket, 13 MM socket, ratchet, 8 MM allen wrench, Philips head screw driver, large flathead screwdriver, small flathead screwdriver, mallet or hammer. RECOMMENDED: solder, soldering iron/gun, electrical tape (Note: These are only recommended if you have to swap airbag connectors).
TIME: Took me 2 hours from start to finish. Mind you this was my first time doing this and was also taking lots of pictures as I know DIYs are much easier to follow with pictures!
NOTE (1 of 2): The slider on the leather seats had studs with a 13mm nut. The cloth seats needed to have a bolt threaded, so if this is the case for you, save yourself the headache and make sure to run down to your local hardware store and purchase 4 nuts or bolts, depending on your application.
Leather 2001 New Beetle GLS sliding bracket: (Note: the different connector and clip is circled here)

Cloth 2001 New Beetle GLS sliding bracket: (Note: the circled areas are where the bracket was bolted onto the underbelly of the seat with 2 Philips head screws.

NOTE (2 of 2): The airbag connector was different from the leather and cloth seats. Even though both sets of seats are from a 2001 GLS New Beetle, the connections were different. Be prepared to cut and solder or crimp the original connection to the new seats. Note: This was only an issue on the driver side.
Leather 2001 New Beetle GLS driver side airbag connections:

Cloth 2001 New Beetle GLS driver side airbag connections:

STEP 1: Read Note 1 and clarify this before beginning. You don’t want to have the seats out and then find out you can’t continue because the bolt/nut application is different!
STEP 2: Begin by popping your trunk so you can have a little bit more head room.

STEP 3: Pop your hood and pull the POSITIVE lead off the battery. Loosen both nuts with a 10 MM socket and wrap the lead with a towel and place away from battery. (Note: Make sure you have your radio code ready if applicable!)

STEP 4: We are going to start by removing the REAR seat first (Note: I believe the airbags can still deploy up to 15 minutes after the car has lost power from the battery. Whatever the time is, let’s not touch the seats that deal airbags first). Pull the bench up and fold it towards the front of the car. If you look, it is simply held in by two hooks. To get this out, you need to push the clip towards the other. If you take the rubber mallet or a flathead and pry or smack it, it’ll come out very easily. Once one side is out, the other side should wiggle out easily. Remove the bench from the car.

STEP 4: We will now remove the backrest of the rear seats by folding down the seat flat. (Note: Remove the headrests first!) If you look towards the center/driver side, there is a zipper. Open up the zipper and you will notice a metal bracket with 2 8 MM allen bolts. Undo these bolts.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

STEP 5: Take a look at the corner of the seats. The seat pivots on a metal clip. Take a large flat head and push the clip back towards the rear of the car. As you are doing this, pull the seat up. Do this for the other side as well. Once both are out, pull the passenger side of the rear seat up and out towards the front of the car. Then guide the rest of the seat out, making sure the metal bracket stays in the car. (Note: Be careful not to scrape your interior plastics while doing this!)

STEP 6: Let’s start with the driver side seat. Push the seat to the farthest rear setting. There are two 13 MM nuts (or bolts depending on your application. Remember how I mentioned this at the very beginning? Remember how you are prepared for this step already? Remember how this will help save you a ton of headaches later?) Remove both nuts (or bolts).

STEP 7: Slide the seat to the very forward position and pull the side latch as if you were letting people into the back. Using a small flathead screw driver, remove the two plastic circular covers at the base where the seats slide on their bracket. Remove both Philips head screws and remove the plastic pieces. (Note: Make sure the seat is all the way up so that it’s easier to remove the covers and not snap them! We are removing these so the seats can fall out of their sliding bracket!)

STEP 8: Lock the seat back down and slide it all the way back. It should fall right out of the bracket. Tip the entire seat back and take a look underneath. There are 3 connectors/clips under here. Two connectors for the airbag and one white plastic clip that holds the harness in place so it doesn’t get tangled while you are sliding your seat back and forth. Unclip the airbag connections by pressing in a small tab. To unclip the plastic harness holder clip, you need to lift up a small tab. Now, remove the seat by tipping it sideways. (Note: Be very careful as you remove the seat as to not scratch any interior pieces!)

STEP 9: The passenger side is exactly the same as the driver side, except there are only 2 connectors: One airbag connector and one plastic clip that holds the harness in place.

STEP 10: Take a look at the driver side airbag connectors on the new seat. If they are different from the original connectors, get your wire stripper and soldering iron/gun ready. I HIGHLY recommend you solder these connections. If yours are the same, skip Step 11.
STEP 11: Start by removing the 2 Philips head screws that hold the connectors to a bracket. The main yellow connector was the same, but the secondary connection (not on the passenger seat) was different. Fortunately, there is only one brown and one yellow wire. Cut the wires and solder (or crimp) the original connectors to the new seats’ connectors. Make sure you give yourself enough of a lead to work with. Don't want to cut really short and not be able to make use of the connector! Once soldered or crimpled, wrap each wire in electrical tape or heat shrink. Then wrap both with electrical tape. Do this step really tight and don't be afraid to really have at it! Place the connectors back into the bracket and redo the Philips head screws. You’re ready to put the driver side seat back in!

STEP 12: Reinstall in reverse order starting with the back seat rest. Place the seat rest loosely on the floorboard where the rear seat cushion goes. Wrap the center pivot bar with the seat cloth. Reinsert the seat by pushing the driver side in first, followed by the passenger side of the seat rest (just like how it was removed). Center the seat rest above the metal retaining clips on the left and right side. Push both sides down until they click back in. If they don’t click, use the large flathead screw driver to help it out a bit. Bolt up the bracket with the two 8 MM allen bolts and zip up the cover. Fold the seat rest back up and lock it into place.

STEP 13: Now bring in the rear seat cushion and hook the passenger side in. This will go in fairly easily. Hit it with the mallet to help seat it fully. Now, for the driver side clip, you will need to use your large flathead screw driver and place it in between the hook and pull it towards the other clip. Slide it into the retaining pocket. Now fold the seat cushion and sit on it to help seat it. Congrats! You’ve got your new rear seats in! Throw on your headrests while you’re admiring them!

STEP 14: Make sure that both the driver side and passenger side seat sliders are pulled all the way to the front before reinstallation of your new seats! If not, just pull the handle and grab the slider and pull all the way up to the front of the seat.
STEP 15: Bringing in the driver side seat. Tip it in the same way you brought it out. Attach both airbag clips and the plastic retaining clip for the harness (Note: Make sure these clip in ALL the way. Give a little tug to make sure they won’t fall out and are fully clipped in!). The white plastic retaining clip for the harness was being an absolute pain in the butt and wouldn’t fit, so I zip-tied it down.
STEP 16: Tip the chair up and place it towards the rear. Slide the seat forward as the rear wheels fall back into the guide bracket. Pull the seat all the way forward and rebolt with either the original nut (or bolt depending on your application) the 13 MM nut (or bolt). Slide the seat all the way forward and tip up. Replace the plastic covers, replace Philips head screws back in and cover them up with the small plastic covers. (Note: I didn't have the bolts ready, so I had to use these that I found in my garage with some spacers to fit properly... but you'll be prepared... right?)

STEP 17: Passenger side seat: Same as step 15 and 16 except there are only 2 connectors (one airbag and one plastic harness retaining clip)

STEP 18: Take a deep breath and bolt back up the 10 MM nuts for the positive leads on the battery.

STEP 19: I’m not 100% sure if this is necessary, but it doesn’t hurt! Turn the key to the on position and let the throttle adapt. Leave it for 3 minutes and then start up the car. Check and see if your airbag light comes on or not (which is shouldn’t because remember how we tugged on the connections and made SURE they were tight?). CONGRATS! You are completely done! Now put your old seats up for sale so someone else can install them and follow this DIY

Modified by 99.5 at 8:20 AM 12-19-2008

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are some DIYs out there on how to do this already but none have pics and are some are difficult to follow. I made this DIY to help out everyone with detailed descriptions and pics! If you don't need it... don't complain to me as there are going to be people who will http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Modified by 99.5 at 1:45 PM 12-18-2008

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Re: (Mk4VR6GETTA)

Great write up. very clear and makes it seem very easy. lol

but i gotta ask you..... why swap cloth seats in place of leather seats? most people would upgrade cloth seats to leather not the opposite. lol

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (aka_deno)

Quote, originally posted by aka_deno »
Great write up. very clear and makes it seem very easy. lol

but i gotta ask you..... why swap cloth seats in place of leather seats? most people would upgrade cloth seats to leather not the opposite. lol

Well it's the GFs car and she hates how cold the leather is, especially during winter. I found the perfect set of cloth seats and figured why not

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Re: DIY: Front and Rear Seat Removal / Install (99.5)

Great write up my man!! great http://****************.com/smile/emgift.gif you gave to the mkiv section for the holidays

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: DIY: Front and Rear Seat Removal / Install (J-tec)

Quote, originally posted by J-tec »
Great write up my man!! great http://****************.com/smile/emgift.gif you gave to the mkiv section for the holidays

Thanks bro

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to everyone's comments. Hope this DIY helps out!!

·
Registered
6,048 Posts

Great DIY. Now if I can just find a set of R32 seats for my GTI to replace my well worn "standard" seats.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Re: DIY: Front and Rear Seat Removal / Install (mr_e1974)

back from the dead

·
Registered
586 Posts

Nice! Thanks Man! Good pics. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2 Posts

Please, 99.5

I was lookng the your post, very good details, maybe you can help-me, I have a Golf MK4 2.0, I'm with the problem on my ( headliner ) and ( Door Warnig Lights ) the lights are in off, the problems is happening only left side by my car, can you help-me?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: DIY: Front and Rear Seat Removal / Install (Edson312)

Sorry, but the correct side is Right, I Was check the lights, they are ok, I think that I need check the harness ok ?

·
Registered
24 Posts

I realize this post has been up for a while, but I want to say thanks to the author. I just replaced the driver seat in my 2002 2.0 GL with a seat from a 2003 GTI that I bought off Ebay.
Photos and instructions were spot on, and the airbag connection instructions were especially helpful.
Turned out my supposedly pristine GTI seat needed a new adjustment handle and the height adjustment mechanism was broken (missing star gear tooth), but I swapped in the parts off my original seat.
This swap is well worth it - the original driver seat in my GL looked great, but was a nightmare to sit in for more than an hour. I even took it to an auto upholstery shop thinking they could put a new cushion in it, but the owner told me the design of the seat (metal tray with a depression in it) would make that impractical.
DP

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great help thanks but.....

great pictures but I cant get my front seat to go back as the cable as snapped any ideas please:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts