VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on this awesome writeup, I was motivated to test the fuel pressure on my CIS-Lambda equipped GTI:

http://www.mikegabriel.net/vw/badhabitrabbit/fpressure.html

I balked for a while at the price of pressure testers though. And couldn't really find a workaround on the interwebs.

So, after doing quite a bit of surfing on McMaster, I was able to piece together a tester for about $35, and thought I'd share my parts list with you all.

1 4089K61 Multipurpose Gauge, Plastic Case, 2" Dial, 1/4 NPT Bottom, 0-100 PSI (1 @ 9.66 each)
2 4464K48 Type 304 Stainless Steel Threaded Pipe Fitting, 1/4 Pipe Size, Tee, 150 PSI (1 @ 6.91 each)
3 5779K109 Nylon and Nickel-Plated Brass Tube Fitting, Adapter for 1/4" Tube OD X 1/4" NPT Male Pipe (2 @ 2.91 each)
4 5269K311 Steel Compression Tube Fitting, Straight Adapter for 6MM Tube OD X 1/8 NPT Male (1 @ $4.11 each)
5 5779K129 Nylon and Nickel-Plated Brass Tube Fitting, Adapter for 1/4" Tube OD X 1/8" NPT Female Pipe (1 @ $4.06 each)
6 8359K14 High-Strength Clear Nylon Tubing .190" ID, 1/4" OD, .030" Wall Thickness (3ft. @ $.36/ft.)

You can see that I omitted the Gate Valve to save money in favor if just folding and crimping the flexible line to stop flow.

This all totals out to around $35 with shipping I believe. I actually got the tubing from work, but this stuff I listed as #6 should be the same stuff.

The hard to find M12x1.5 fittings are actually contained in part #4. Half of this part is the female portion, half is the male portion.

I only ran the tests described once, just to see that my tester was working and everything was peachy.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Good stuff! Not that I need it, but perhaps this will push people to stop throwing unneeded parts at the CIS system.

-Todd

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,534 Posts
btw the 400psi tube is only sold in 25'ft pieces ($9)
not too bad really....you can use it for other things
**note
8359K tubing is non-reactive to gas and diesel!

"gate valve" isnt good choice

this was the best one i found
Miniature Chrome-Plated Brass Ball Valve Wedge Handle, 1/4" NPT Female X Male Connections
1/4" 1 11/16" 4912K72 $6.00

or larger knob
1/4" 1 11/16" 4912K7 $6.88

this valve plugs into the end of the TEE

to sum up:

when you are done it will look identical to this

1 4089K61 1 Each Multipurpose Gauge Plastic Case, 2" Dial, 1/4 Npt Bottom, 0-100 Psi
2 4464K48 1 Each Type 304 Stainless Stl Threaded Pipe Fitting 1/4 Pipe Size, Tee, 150 Psi
3 5779K109 2 Each Nylon And Nickel-plated Brass Tube Fitting Adapter For 1/4" Tube Od X 1/4" Npt Male Pipe
4 5269K311 1 Each Steel Compression Tube Fitting Straight Adapter For 6mm Tube Od X 1/8 Npt Male
5 5779K129 1 Each Nylon And Nickel-plated Brass Tube Fitting Adapter For 1/4" Tube Od X 1/8" Npt Female Pipe
6 8359K14 1 Each High-strength Clear Nylon Tubing .190" Id, 1/4" Od, .030" Wall Thickness, 25 Ft. Length
7 4912K72 1 Each Miniature Chrome-plated Brass Ball Valve Wedge Handle, 1/4" Npt Female X Male Connections

Merchandise total
$45.56

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
alright super fast
shipped monday received wednesday
great stuff

$6ish shipping, so roughly $52 total

you need pics
i know you need pics

assembled and nice

68-69psi system pressure

33psi "cold" control pressure (it was 98*F today) this engine is stone cold has not driven in 4 days

48-50psi warm pressure...thats a little low

relief pressure dropped fast down to 15psi in about 30 seconds but held there
the fuel accumulator leaks and those old injectors....who knows...

test on other car

70psi system pressure

cold control pressure was 40, it has been off for awhile
warm control pressure was 48-50

also relief pressure held at 35psi for more than 3 minutes
brass injectors, new accumulator

sorry those few pictures were reflecting the sky

*a few of the fittings do not have teflon tape/pipe dope...
so i know you have 10 rolls of it under the seat of your car
and the little rolls are super cheap anyways

best thing i discovered
you cannot pull out those hoses
but you press the black retainer in and it slides out easily
perfect for simple hose replacement in case of damage
...with your 25ft roll

·
Registered
54 Posts
Brilliant thread. Parts on order! :beer:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome!
I'm glad someone is getting some value from this thread. I always try to post helpful mechanical stuff, but I worry that it often gets lost between threads about rounds vs. squares and 13" vs 15" wheels.

I'm stoked you found an affordable valve rabbitnothopper. I consider myself a pretty skilled McMaster(bater), but I couldn't find anything suitable for less than $30.

FYI, the readings for my stock CIS-Lambda '84 GTI were:

System pressure: 75psi
Cold control: 22psi on a 70 degree F day.
Warm control: 50psi (rose to this quickly in a few minutes)

I didn't record residual pressure, other than to say it stayed pretty stable for a long while. This sort of perplexed me because I think I have a leaky accumulator and suffer from what I think must be vapor lock. Which is the reason I built the pressure tester in the first place.
I also have a slightly "Pulsing" idle.
Documented here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6033523-Dead-cylinders-on-warm-starts

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Brilliant, thank you!

No need yet, but someday I'm sure :thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
I hooked up my pressure test kit...I dont have any pressure on my gauge. ..or fuel for that matter.
Whats going...this thing is driving me crazy.

relay failure, fuse failure

dead fuel pump

another possibility
....is the engine running?

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
thanks for this thread. I am considering using this idea to create a permanent mount setup.
i would suggest metal lines on the connectors similar to the stock cis lines

the release on these hoses is not reliable enough to jeapordize them comming loose when youre driving it
imagine opening the fuel line directly into the engine bay when youre driving
FIRE

for all it matters the metal lines could be a second pair of CIS lines with the connections and add 100-200psi fuel hose and clamps or compression clamp

i recently replaced the hoses i made on mine and the connection had shrunk slightly
luckily they shipped me a huge roll of it for $9

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
3 5779K109 2 Each Nylon And Nickel-plated Brass Tube Fitting Adapter For 1/4" Tube Od X 1/4" Npt Male Pipe
the quantity is right there

including two of the picture

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
still says it right there.

3 5779K109 Nylon and Nickel-Plated Brass Tube Fitting, Adapter for 1/4" Tube OD X 1/4" NPT Male Pipe (2 @ 2.91 each)

glad the thread was helpful
now go spend the $8 for shipping on a $3 part!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Can I bump this for a little more info?

Specifically, I just purchased all of the parts listed above and I'm having trouble figuring out how
the Steel Compression Tube Fitting (part #4) comes apart to make the connection on the fuel distributor.

I can see that the male end pairs up with a "quick connect" fitting adapter.. No problem there.

But how does the female end work?

Is the small ring supposed to pass completely over the nylon tubing? (As it is, I can't get it much more than 1mm)

Also, do I need a 'sleeve' to fit inside the tubing before I attach it to the fuel distributor?

Everything looks nice in the photos above but I'm unfamiliar with how these fittings work and I want to make sure I get it right the first time.

TIA.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts