VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
19,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apperently I drive a GOLF GLI:

Ok, on to the DIY.
They're pretty easy to install. If you're comftorable using a pneumatic impact wrench you should have no problems doing this install.
You'll need scissors or a sharp razor blade to disconnect the mats from their hanger that they were shipped with. Simpily cut the tab and set the mats aside.
You're going to have to disassemble your old mats and remove them from the car before installing the new ones. It's pretty straight forward but I took some pics just to make it easier.
Go and open the drivers side rear passenger door and locate the mat that was supplied from the factory. It should be on the floor in front of the rear seat with a portion under the drivers seat.

Using your hand pull up on one of the corners of the mat and lift it up and towards you. This should allow you to remove it from the car.
Next, take the new mat and grasp it from the top.

Slide it under the front seat as shown and it should fall nicely into place.

Repeat this for the other side.
The fronts are a little tougher because of the mat restraints shown here

You'll notice a small "tab" that is preventing you from lifting the mat out of the car. To remedy this use your fingers to rotate it clockwise (counter clockwise works too)

You want to rotate it until it's 90 dregrees from it's original location.
Next lift up on the corner of the mat

Again pull up and towards you and you'll be able to remove it from the car.
Taking the new mat, grasp the top of it

and slide it into place.
The bottom half should line up like this and the restraints should be poking through the holes in the mat like thus

Again, using your fingers rotate each of the tabs so they're back in the position they were in when the old mats were installed.

The drivers side mat will also have the restraints and they're removed the same way. When you have released them pull up on a corner of the mat and pull up and towards you to remove the mat.

Grasping the top of the new mat slide it into place making sure it does not interfere with any of the pedals.

Next set the restraints back to their original position.
That's it you're done!
To make sure it's properly installed check with your fast for it's approval:

And some installed pics:

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by thread at 6:44 PM 6-15-2006

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Re: DIY: GOLF G*L*I monster mat install. Or, I drive a WHAT?!?!?! (thread)

i would have never figured that out...lol..jk....i guess there are some people that dont right??
nice golf gli!!!

·
Registered
19,921 Posts
Re: DIY: GOLF G*L*I monster mat install. Or, I drive a WHAT?!?!?! (TTr250)

That is freaking hilarious!

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Nice job, Wisenheimer.

Looks like I'm the last moderator to get them, thanks to the dealership that didn't order them when I placed the order.

S'alright, the one I should have ordered from to begin with shipped them today.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (SnowboarderX216)

Quote, originally posted by SnowboarderX216 »
nice

just out of curiousity why do you have a "fast" when you got a Golf? thought they only game with GTI's

... what?

VWoA decided to mail one to each MkV moderator, despite the fact that we all drive GLIs.
... a "goodwill gesture," if you will.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Re: DIY: GOLF G*L*I monster mat install. Or, I drive a WHAT?!?!?! (IchBinDarren)

hehe belive it or not...takeing the inserts out that you use to like clamp the new mats down is a biatch!
I dont know if u all know what im talking about, but i had to do this to my R32 matts....the clips wouldnt fit in the hole...so i had to change them out....It was a pain....by the time i was one, i felt less of a man then i started

Damm thoose inserts!

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: DIY: GOLF G*L*I monster mat install. Or, I drive a WHAT?!?!?! (DimceR32)

Quote, originally posted by DimceR32 »
hehe belive it or not...takeing the inserts out that you use to like clamp the new mats down is a biatch!
I dont know if u all know what im talking about, but i had to do this to my R32 matts....the clips wouldnt fit in the hole...so i had to change them out....It was a pain....by the time i was one, i felt less of a man then i started

Damm thoose inserts!

Yeah. I had two sets of carpet for my previous Jetta- a 2002 set and a 2004.5 set (fasteners were different) and then had about five various sets of floormats beyond that. I became very used to swapping mat tabs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Re: DIY: GOLF G*L*I monster mat install. Or, I drive a WHAT?!?!?! (DimceR32)

lol. awesome!
I actually had one defective rotating lockdown on my Jetta that had to be fixed at the first tuneup because it wouldn't rotate

·
Registered
19,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (SnowboarderX216)

Quote, originally posted by SnowboarderX216 »
nice

just out of curiousity why do you have a "fast" when you got a Golf? thought they only game with GTI's

I don't have a golf, I have a Jetta GLI. For whatever reason the mats come labelled as Golf GLI mats

This is my car:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.