VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Also, try not to move the dim function on the switch, if you already changed all your light in your car for led ones, then you shouldn´t need the dim...leave it at max...remember leds should not be opperated with dim functions...it´s not good for them.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have not changed out my other lights for LED's yet. The dimmer does not effect the brightness of the LED when i have the pins connected to a battery. The ground that the LED/Light is connected to do you know if that only grounds the LED/light for the switch? I don't even know where to start, it just boggles my mind that i can make it work by connecting the switches pins to a battery but not in any harness... If my resistor is backwards i shouldn't get anything out of the LED at all correct? I soldered the resistor/LED to the same metal casing as shown in the DIY as it was way too hard to wire the positive to where it originally came from.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have not changed out my other lights for LED's yet. The dimmer does not effect the brightness of the LED when i have the pins connected to a battery. The ground that the LED/Light is connected to do you know if that only grounds the LED/light for the switch? I don't even know where to start, it just boggles my mind that i can make it work by connecting the switches pins to a battery but not in any harness... If my resistor is backwards i shouldn't get anything out of the LED at all correct? I soldered the resistor/LED to the same metal casing as shown in the DIY as it was way too hard to wire the positive to where it originally came from.
Actually in my case I think having the resistor backwards was my problem, the first time I did it to my switch sometimes work sometimes not...but then it was barely working and then it just stop working at all, but after I realized my resistor was backwards I replaced the led and the resistor, I soldered the led to the resistor, problem fixed...

But in your case it is really weird that with the battery did work, did you buy the correct resistor?, also you could check if you´re having correct voltage output from your harness, or if you have a faulty ground...

Don´t get desperate :laugh: it is a really small mod, but I really like having all leds inside the car, looks good. Hope you can get it to work so you can continue with the rest of your inside lights

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,104 Posts
Also, try not to move the dim function on the switch, if you already changed all your light in your car for led ones, then you shouldn´t need the dim...leave it at max...remember leds should not be opperated with dim functions...it´s not good for them.
This is not true.

Actually in my case I think having the resistor backwards was my problem
Also, you cannot install resistors "backwards". I would suggest you stop dispensing electrical advice.

As for the other guy's problem, the light in the switch gets key-on power, the same that powers the headlights themselves (parking lights get constant battery power, so they can be turned on when the car is off). If the headlights work, then that is fine. The light grounds through the ground wire, it is the ground wire's only purpose. If the ground is bad it won't come on, but everything else will work ok. So test that at the switch.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
This may sound like a silly question. But, I'm guessing that the technology for LED's have advance in the past 10 years. This is what brings me to ask. Are there 5mm LED's bulbs available now with built in resistors and or don't require resistors for this modification?

-Stephen

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,104 Posts
There were then, and you're right, they're probably better/cheaper now. You want one rated to work with up to ~12v. Most LEDs are down in the 3-5v range, so they burn out without a resistor. But rated at 12v, it should have an internal resistor.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.