VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i`m new around here so please excuse me if my writing is full of mistakes (i`m from romania)
ontopic:
i made my heater control panel from 3mm thick plexiglass
if you have further questions or i`m not telling everything please ask me

step1 : the design (if you need the source file - vectorial, please ask on pm)

step2 : the plexiglass - laser engraved

step3 : open the original control panel (carefully beacuse it`s old and you can crack it very esy. there are 2 models - one made until 1988 on mk2 and one afer 1988 until 1992 - the oldest are better beacuse they are stronger ... i think the plastic used is a better quality)

step4 : try to pull out the contact pins

step5: attach a wire to the pins you have pulled out from the panel

step6: try to put back the pins

step7: fill the gap from the light bulb with some glue

step8: try to cut with a cutter or something the 2 pieces of plastic useless to the project

step9: on the back of the plexiglass aply a PVC black film

step10: get 6 3mm led bulbs

step11: use some sandpaper to obtain the right form to led bulbs

step12: this requires some skills - a lot of patience - i used wire from an UTP - PC Network Cable

use some glue to asamble the panel back ... (i used acrylic glue - be carefull with that glue - it can destroy the plexiglass panel
and the final result (i`ve made a lot of this panels for my mk2 friends in romania)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Re: DIY: Heater control panel LED illumination (armando_troian)

OMG....seriously, how much would you charge to make one for me. That looks so good yet so intimidating.

AMAZING JOB...much better than factory

·
Registered
307 Posts

This is amazing, by far the best one I've seen. Where do you get the plexiglass laser etched like that? This really inspires me to redo mine!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i`m from romania... i know a few places around here. in the US ... it`s hard to say but you should try to advertising companies - they should give you an answer .... or someone working in this domain

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Re: DIY: Heater control panel LED illumination (A2JettaGLI18)

Quote, originally posted by A2JettaGLI18 »
OMG....seriously, how much would you charge to make one for me. That looks so good yet so intimidating.

AMAZING JOB...much better than factory

+1 on that, really nice work.
I suspect custom etching like that would cost quite a bit more than $10-12 in North America, although I'm guessing. Anyone know anyone stateside that has access to an engraver?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Re: (armando_troian)

Quote, originally posted by armando_troian »
i have to ask how much would cost the shipping to us
if you can`t find someone to help you with the plexi

Honestly, if you quote a price for the whole custom set-up shipped to the US, I'd be willing to bet that you'd sell at least a few on here. I'd buy one if it was reasonable.
to some ingenuity.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Re: (bodhi_tree777)

This is a good write up! We need more of this on here http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Look superb, I would easily pay you to make on, cause this is just bad ass

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

So did you do the engraving yourself? If so and you are interested i would like to buy a few dozen off of you if possable. I can make it worth your time in $$$ too.
Let me know,
Stuart

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok boys, the next week ia have to make some models for a corrado for some friends in romania, but i will try to make another round for golf2 with GTI emblem on it . the problem is not the plexiglass ... is the original panels
... that will be a problem.
we will make it ... i have to ask for the shipping costs ...

Modified by armando_troian at 9:04 PM 1-17-2009

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.