VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well after hearing these at H20i this year I knew I wanted a set. After recieving them the process of trying to find a good DIY with working pictures and all nearly killed me. I also noticed most people weren't using the included relay but were having issues with blown fuses and the like... hmm... I wonder why.... Needless to say I decided I'd use the relay and to help other in the same position as myself I'd make a little DIY. I apologize for the low quality of the pictures but my 2.0mp camera phone was all I had to work with. With that being said I am not responsible for any issues you may have by use of my DIY. The following steps are what worked for my '04.5 GLI.
Here's the part's you'll need:
-Hella Dual Airhorn kit
-30 amp inline fuse holder w/ 30amp fuse
-18 gauge wire
-female spade connectors that fit over the connection on the relay and compressor
-twist connectors for use with the ground junction.
-electrical tape
1.) Remove the negative terminal of your battery

2.) Remove your front bumper following the steps provided in the MKiV DIY threads

3.) Find your stock horns located infront of your driver's side front wheel

4.) Unbolt the stock horns let them hang so you can have easier access to the harnesses.

5.) There is a small metal retaining clip holding the harness to the horn. Pull sideways on both sides and the clip should come off the harness. You can then remove the harness from the horns and toss them to the side. You won't be needing them anymore.

6.) I decided to mount the horns, compressor, and relay using the stock mounting brackets for the horns. I used the lower bracket to mount the horns. To fit both horns though I had to make my own bracket extension. I took a piece of steel about 6 - 9 inches long and drilled 2 holes spaced far enough apart to hold both horns. I took the upper bracket off using the single bolt at the base of it, and drilled out the farthest hold larger to fit the compressor bolt. I used all the hardware provided with the kit.
Here's the upper mounting bracket in place

Drilling out the hole

Here is how I decided to mount the compressor

7.) Before mounting everything up I planned out and ran my wiring. I used spade connectors for all the junctions on the compressor and relay and used twist connectors the larger fuse holder and the 3 way ground junction. Here's the wiring diagram I used.

The colors of the wires in the diagram are the sam colors of the ones I used so that you can referenc. Key thing to rememeber is that with the wires from the harness, the black wire with yellow stripe is the positive horn signal and the brown wire is your ground. I got kind of wrapped up in getting it down so I don't have pictures of the progress but if your doing this mod I'm assuming you know a little about wiring and can figure it out. The relay and the compressor are both labelled so you can find what terminal you are looking for. Mke sure to tape up your connections so they won't be damaged by debis and water. Also make sure if you choose to mount your horns in a different location that they are facing downward partially so that water and debris will drain and won't collect in the horns and ruin them. Also make sure the compressor is facing somewhat vertically as the instructions state. Mine is slightly more horizontal but I'll be bending the bracket a little more to make up for it.
After wiring all that's left is to run the air lines as short as possible from the compressor to the y splitter then to each horn. Then you can plug your negative battery terminal back on and test out your new airhorns. Beware these suckers are LOUD!
Here is the position of my inline fuse holder. I ran 18 gauge wire with a spade connector to one of the terminals at the top of the battery box (under the little cover) to my inline fuse holder, which was 10 gauge wire (which is why I used twist connections), then back to 18 gauge wire running to the relay.

Here is a picture of the final setup. You'll see the ends of the relay and the compressor are covered in electrical tape. This is because I wanted to pretect the connections from any damage from debris and water. It may not look pretty but it's functional and it's going to protect the connections and make the setup last much longer.

You can find a sound clip of the finished horns here:
Hella Dual Air Horns
That's about it. Hopefully this DIY proves helpful to someone else looking for a decent DIY for their airhorn setup. If you have questions or comments post them up or feel free to PM me. Thanks for reading

Modified by ninjapants at 10:16 AM 1-13-2008

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
Re: DIY: Hella Dual Airhorns w/ Relay & Soundclip (01vdubin)

YAY BRAD!!! Maybe when I have 4 wheels I'll throw one of these bad boys in there.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: DIY: Hella Dual Airhorns w/ Relay & Soundclip (01vdubin)

Quote, originally posted by 01vdubin »
yumm.. where can i obtain such sexyness?

I got mine from ECS tuning http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
Re: DIY: Hella Dual Airhorns w/ Relay & Soundclip (ninjapants)

ECS is way overpirced for these....your local autozone has a set for 1/2 that..or do a search for susquehanna motorsport for them...make sure the trumpets are angled down at least a little bit..if water gets in them they rust and die, that is why i've been through 6 sets..and no one sells just the trumpets as a replacement....mine are mounted simalarly....the relay makes no difference...i have tried it with and without..no power difference...i'm using the autozone set now after 5 sets of hella's becasue they sound the same and the compressor is a bit smaller and easier to mount....i took a piece of metal i got from my local stereo shop - strapping that had holes drilled in it for the horn mounts..and then bolted that up to the stock horn location...this is a easy thing to do..and sounds much better than stock...good writeup! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Dan

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Re: DIY: Hella Dual Airhorns w/ Relay & Soundclip (JettaManDan)

so, when you lock it, it doesn't sound like a dying goose anymore? I can dig it...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Re: DIY: Hella Dual Airhorns w/ Relay & Soundclip (allmotor6)

Quote, originally posted by allmotor6 »
Whoa wtf? That sounds horrible.

x2
arriba!

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: DIY: Hella Dual Airhorns w/ Relay & Soundclip (Ben1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by Ben1.8T »
so, when you lock it, it doesn't sound like a dying goose anymore? I can dig it...

no it's does. The horns I replaced are only connected to the horn button on the steering wheel, the alarm is a different circuit with a different horn.
Quote, originally posted by allmotor6 »
Whoa wtf? That sounds horrible.

That's taste I guess. I love it and it's amazing fun to scare the **** out of people. If you don't like the sound look into the supertone airhorns or other companies. There are plenty of other types of horns out there.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

I installed mine without the relay. After the world cup in germany driving around holding my horn after every german victory my compressor went caput. Bought a new horn set and made it into a quad air horn. SOUNDS MEAN!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Re: DIY: Hella Dual Airhorns w/ Relay & Soundclip (JJ2K1)

you can get these for about $40. or even cheaper if you get a generic brand at Pep Boys. i believe it's called "Extreme Ait"

i think mine bit the dust this weekend. no more tone in my air horns, just air blowing out

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: DIY: Hella Dual Airhorns w/ Relay & Soundclip (GLIceleb)

I was already placing an order through ECS so I just added these on. Wasn't horribly worried about saving a couple dollars. So far they work great and seem loud enough with the windows up but if I have the windows down it's a whole different story. I almost feel bad for all the people on campus I've scared ****less this week.... almost

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

I was planing on doing air horns this winter too!!
btw excellent photos...

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: DIY: Hella Dual Airhorns w/ Relay & Soundclip (kleckers69)

Quote, originally posted by kleckers69 »
I was planing on doing air horns this winter too!!
btw excellent photos...

Hahaha sorry not everyone has an xti

At least now you have a working writeup. All the other ones I found didn't include the relay, had no soundclip, the process was screwy or for a different car, or had no pictures. So I decided to try and make one that was more complete http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

I only have an XT... I'm not baller enough for the XTI...
:finger:
i appreciate the write up... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts