VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 possible ideas ive been toying with. Maybe theyve been done before, dont know. First off, could I smoke a stock set of fogs i picked up from a junk yard? that would be cool, using the same stuff people smoke tails with. Also, I have a white golf and id like the black side skirts to match my car. would it be possible to sand them down smooth them out and put a white coat of paint on.

·
Registered
21,576 Posts
yes you can tint the fog lights, it wont look as good though and give off an orangy/reddish color light from the tint spray and look like ass. They sell smoked lenses for the foglights if im not mistaken.
As for the sideskirts, you can sand them, prime them and spraypaint them, but theres a very good chance it wont match the color of your car. A body shop should be able to match the color for you but then its DIY.
So your ideas are feasable, but not the way you planned.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where can I buy a lens? I would like to just get the lens seeing that my light assembly is in tact. As for the skirts, if i bought the same paint with my paint code from the dealership, wouldnt it match up ok? what can they do that would make it match betteR?

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Re: DIY Idea (nineeightgolf)

for the fogs - if you're going to do it, mask off a circle where the bulb is and don't tint that part. Some people put vinyl over the bulb instead of painting it, but make sure and leave a circular section for the light to show through.
for the skirts - if you've ever put some sort of dressing on them (armor all, back to black, etc) you'll need to bake the skirts in an oven to get all the oils out of it, or else the paint won't stick properly. Also, you'll need a few coats of high-fill primer with alot of sanding in between to smooth them out before you paint them.
Best thing to do is call a few local body shops and find one that will do it for you. Expect to pay $150-$200 for them.

·
Banned
5,245 Posts
Re: (ChadMk3)

u can smoke ur stock fogs. if u look at a pair of smoked fog and ur stock ones the lens are the same it's the inside thas smoked
u have to get the lens off and paint that plastic around the projector. i haven't try yet.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: (4thChirpinGTI)

I have no experience with smoking fogs, but I did smoke some taillights with nightshades and the reverse light still lit up white (obviously a little mutted but not another color)
What spray tint did you use to make it shine a redish color

1 - 8 of 8 Posts