VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Re: (20VTURBOSpoolMeUp!)

yeah...i guess i sounded a little harsher than i meant to be...i think all i meant was that its kindof just another dairintake kindof idea...i didnt really mean it was a bad one though. im actually thinking of doing the same thing.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Re: DIY: Ike's A4 Airbox Mod. Breathe Easy! (20VTURBOSpoolMeUp!)

Quote, originally posted by 20VTURBOSpoolMeUp! »
Remember 4 x 1.5" = 6" worth of airflow.

this is a good theory, but you have forgotten some things. If you have 4 different tubes, each 1.5" in diameter, you do have the same amount of air capacity as a single 6" tube. However, the 4 - 1.5" tubes have much more interior surface area than a single 6" tube. With this increase of surface area, you also have an increase in sheer stress, causing head loss in your air movement. This is especially evident since the tubing is, i'm sure, far from smooth. This is why your aftermarket intake systems are comprised of a single, smooth, larger diameter tube.
just something for you to think about from a fluids engineering point of view...

·
Registered
189 Posts
keeping in mind what tropicgreena4 has to say about this, would it be feasble to not use 4 different hoses and drill 4 holes and just drille one 3" hole and just run one hose? or maybe two three inch holes and run 2 3" hoses?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Re: DIY: Ike's A4 Airbox Mod. Breathe Easy! (TropicGreenA4)

Quote, originally posted by TropicGreenA4 »
this is a good theory, but you have forgotten some things. If you have 4 different tubes, each 1.5" in diameter, you do have the same amount of air capacity as a single 6" tube. However, the 4 - 1.5" tubes have much more interior surface area than a single 6" tube. With this increase of surface area, you also have an increase in sheer stress, causing head loss in your air movement. This is especially evident since the tubing is, i'm sure, far from smooth. This is why your aftermarket intake systems are comprised of a single, smooth, larger diameter tube.
just something for you to think about from a fluids engineering point of view...

he never said anything about a 6 inch tube or whether 4 was better than 1, just that it is 6 inches in diameter of air flow, is someone trying to show off??

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

I see your point completely. Some things like "head loss" are hard for me to understand because I am not a fluid engineer nor do I have any knowledge of advanced fluid engineering. Other things you say about the smooth tubing and surface area make sense to me.
I understand that 1- 6" smooth tube would be ideal. Correct? The main problem w/ that is in the arrangement of the longitudinal 1.8T. The only decent entry point is right behind the headlight area making it nearly impossible to bend a 6" tube and THEN fit it through the workings of the bumper and to a cold air zone. I'm not even sure if you could fit 1-3" hose to the proper area.
I'm not saying no one should try it. As a matter of fact, I hope someone does just to see if it works. My project was an experiment in the making for the betterment of the longitudinal 1.8T world http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif !
I realize your post was as well and thank you for your advanced input. Everyone's 2 cents helps because the more minds you put together the better ideas that come out.
My idea was to increase airflow to the box. I did so with 4-1.5" rough hoses. It worked, no? So if we combine everyone's ideas we should have the perfect airbox! As long as everyone's ideas are PLAUSIBLE in the real life engine compartment.
Maybe I should change my tubing to a smooth bore type rubber tubing for better air velocity? I wouldn't know..

That was a long post...and I lost my train of thought.

Modified by 20VTURBOSpoolMeUp! at 4:14 PM 11/1/2005

Modified by 20VTURBOSpoolMeUp! at 4:15 PM 11/1/2005

·
Registered
2,162 Posts

Quote, originally posted by aberke »
he never said anything about a 6 inch tube or whether 4 was better than 1, just that it is 6 inches in diameter of air flow, is someone trying to show off??

No, I was not trying to show off. I was just trying to give him some real-world insight, that might prove to be useful at some other juncture in his life, probably when it comes to modding his a4.
Quote, originally posted by 20VTURBOSpoolMeUp! »
I see your point completely. Some things like "head loss" are hard for me to understand because I am not a fluid engineer nor do I have any knowledge of advanced fluid engineering. Other things you say about the smooth tubing and surface area make sense to me.

basically head loss is a restrictive force seen by fluids as they move across or along a fixed structure. Friction is the cause of the head loss. This is the reason that mandrel bent exhaust is preferred over non-mandrel bent piping. The smooth profile around bends with mandrel bending is less restrictive.
Quote »
I understand that 1- 6" smooth tube would be ideal. Correct? The main problem w/ that is in the arrangement of the longitudinal 1.8T. The only decent entry point is right behind the headlight area making it nearly impossible to bend a 6" tube and THEN fit it through the workings of the bumper and to a cold air zone. I'm not even sure if you could fit 1-3" hose to the proper area.
My idea was to increase airflow to the box. I did so with 4-1.5" rough hoses. It worked, no? So if we combine everyone's ideas we should have the perfect airbox! As long as everyone's ideas are PLAUSIBLE in the real life engine compartment.
Maybe I should change my tubing to a smooth bore type rubber tubing for better air velocity? I wouldn't know..

I apologize if I came across as though I was putting down your concept. Like I said above, I was just looking to give some insight that you might use sometime.
I'm not sure if you'd see any real difference in this instance with smooth piping or not.
Like I said, I was just giving some input. I'm not sure how you think, but I know I like to learn new stuff all the time...
Good job on the DIY though. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

I apologize if I came across as though I was putting down your concept. Like I said above, I was just looking to give some insight that you might use sometime.
Like I said, I was just giving some input. I'm not sure how you think, but I know I like to learn new stuff all the time...
Good job on the DIY though. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I am right with you on learning new stuff all the time. Next time I get into my airbox I might try some smooth tubing, or see if a larger diameter would fit. I mainly like to experiment and see what works/what doesn't.
I took no offense to your ideas and I you didn't come off to me as just putting down my idea. Constructive criticism is how I saw it. I don't see anything wrong with that.
If someone were to simply say "that idea will never work, that idea sucks" or something along those lines with nothing to back up their statements it means nothing to me.
Again, thanks for teaching me something new

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Re: (AHarmes5)

Quote, originally posted by AHarmes5 »

would this also work for the 30v?

i don't see why not...probably would get more performance out of the 30v than the 1.8.
what does everyone else think?

·
Registered
10 Posts

I really would like to try this out and i will but I'd really like to find some Audi owners to meet up with out here in GA... SandySprings Area and just chart it up and help each other out!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thank you for the write up and everyone that commented.
[email protected] http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: DIY: Ike's A4 Airbox Mod. Breathe Easy! (hyperverbal)

Hey, I am in Roswell/Alph. I drive thru Sandy Springs every day to work. I have a 30v and have done a few different intake experiments.
The last dyno day i went to IIRC the OEM vs my "intake var 3" was +20bhp. (i know that sound high for just the intake) I need to work out a better heat shield so it would be better for daily driving/extended use. For now i have the drop-in and for events or special occasions (the Dragon) I use the v3 and remove the right headlight for daytime use

·
Registered
246 Posts

I did something like this yesterday. I took out that little flapper thing in the bottom of the air box, pulled that screen out, and took off that top shield and ram air lookin thing on the top. I set the bottom of the air box back, traced out where that flapper thing was and just cut a hole out in the fender.(i didnt see that vented fender at the top of the page, which i am going to buy). I just bought GIAC software wnd an evolution DV and couldnt hear it. So i did these little mods and bought a K&N drop in filter. You can hear the dv and it helped with the software and pulls a little harder. Andno the water hasnt got into it yet. it just rained today and when i got home i pulled out the air box and it was still dry.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: DIY: Ike's A4 Airbox Mod. Breathe Easy! (zerovdub)

Ya it didnt really look like anyone wrote back and said if it actually worked. So i tried it and decided to let everyone know! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5 Posts
(a-4cefed) NEW FUNNEL intake

okay so i did the breathe easy tubing from my fog lights to my airbox and i drilled out some vaccuum holes behind the valve on my airbox to create a nice flow,
here's the kicker! i fastened a plastic funnel and cut the tip to fit both intake hoses (i only ran two)...

wow! what a big breathing difference, the funnel totally forces the cool surface air thru the tubing and into the airbox, and is especially POTENT in high third thru fifth on the highway...
turbo spools better and quicker and louder, you can hear your splitter valve as well with the increased induction.
total cost.... $3 for hosing, $0.99 funnel, and electrical tape PRETTY MUCH DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR HP GAINS HERE PEOPLE LOL... total time 30 mins tops... total enjoyment, priceless ahhhh

lovin my first b5 quattro!
scottchoman
99 a4 b5 1.8t trip

next d i y, heat barrier and filter swap out for the air box. stoked!

Modified by scottchoman at 6:10 PM 9-21-2009

Modified by scottchoman at 9:42 PM 9-21-2009

21 - 37 of 37 Posts