VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In this DIY, I will walk you step by step through the process of installing the universal 48 LED flexible light strip for your trunk.

Please note that this DIY shows the install on a Volkswagen CC, however the basic steps can be applied to many other models.

I purchased my strip from DeautoKey

The items received were the light strip and several light harness adapters. For my vehicle, a festoon bulb is used for the trunk light, hence I used the festoon adapter, pictured below:

Step 1: Pull out he stock trunk light housing and replace festoon bulb with the adapter provided

Step 2: Take the connector end of the light strip (white connector) and fish it through the trunk lining (the side of the trunk where the stock light is located). First, fish it through to the trunk door arm opening. This is done to enable a better grasp of the wire and avoid having to fish it all the way down to the stock light position with one attempt. Pull out some slack, then insert the white connector into the same hole and fish it to the lower position where the stock light housing is located. Ensure you open up the trunk lining compartment that gives you access to the tail lights for additional help while fishing. See pictures below:

Step 3: Connect the white connector to the Festoon adapter that was installed in Step 1. The resistor gets very hot after about a minute of use. Most of us will rarely keep the turnk open that long, however if you are unloading content from your trunk, you may have the trunk open for an extended period of time. To be safe, I took some eletrical tape and affixed the resistor to the body as shown below just under the bolt (this is located behind the compartment door mentioned in Step 2). This way it does not come into direct contact with any other wires.

Finally, peel off the 3M backing on the back light strip and stick the strip where desired on the roof of the trunk. DeAutoKey suggests heating the adhesive side of the strip prior to sticking so that that adhesive is activated. Personally I used my own heavy duty double sided tape.

Installed pics!!

Kareem
IG @KOWCC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Another great job on the DIY Kareem. They should send you out the LED fog and headlight bulbs so I can get an informed opinion from someone I trust.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another great job on the DIY Kareem. They should send you out the LED fog and headlight bulbs so I can get an informed opinion from someone I trust.
Hey buddy, they actually offered that to me, but with my last experience when I had HID conversion fogs if you recall, it fried my light module (BCM). Car was at dealer for 30 days till parts arrived from Germany.

I am still considering it though....maybe I'll call them up and tell them to send me a set.

Thanks for your kind word by the way!

·
Vendor
22,200 Posts

·
Vendor
22,200 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Purchased and installed. Great work guys. As I have said in previous DIY , awesome write-up.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Thanks buddy , your feedback means a lot!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Word to the wise........use another type of adhesive. Going with 3M molding tape. Excessive heat in the trunk does not do the Led strip standard tape good. Found my strip lying in the bottom of my trunk tonight.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Word to the wise........use another type of adhesive. Going with 3M molding tape. Excessive heat in the trunk does not do the Led strip standard tape good. Found my strip lying in the bottom of my trunk tonight.

Deautokey suggests to heat the 3m backing in order to activate the adhesive. Personally , whenever I get anything that has 3m backing, I ALWAYS remove I and use my own 3m grey outdoor tape.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The grey tape is what I'm referring to. If 98 here in central NC today was not enough for activation not sure what is......j/k.

·
Vendor
22,200 Posts

The grey tape is what I'm referring to. If 98 here in central NC today was not enough for activation not sure what is......j/k.

Deautokey suggests to heat the 3m backing in order to activate the adhesive. Personally , whenever I get anything that has 3m backing, I ALWAYS remove I and use my own 3m grey outdoor tape.

Sorry to hear that, the best way is to follow these steps to stick the tape:
http://deautokey.com/how-to-install-trunk-strip-glue-to-metal-trunk

As you can see, the tape takes some time to bond to the metal once applied with enough pressure.

It will stick a lifetime, if that doesn't work, FOAM 3M tape is also good, we can look into adding some in the future, so far we have not heard of the issue after installed with the instructions provided.

Let us know what you find.

Thank you

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm not saying the 3M tape provided with the product needs to be changed, it's not that bad. I think that the very hot temperatures today in NC sure did not help after applying the led strip.

·
Vendor
22,200 Posts
I'm not saying the 3M tape provided with the product needs to be changed, it's not that bad. I think that the very hot temperatures today in NC sure did not help after applying the led strip.

We will look into adding foam tape if we get more reports. Let us know how it goes after trying the method seen in the DIY photo.

It sounds silly, but applying that extra pressure with the heat helps the glue bind to the metal, after a few days it will stick and be permanent but if you ever need to remove it, it will not ruin the metal and can be cleaned. And you can even reuse the strip if you use 3m Automotive Foam Tape.

We tested many different tapes and configuration to get the ultimate LED Trunk Strip, we have not seen this anywhere else with 48 LEDs (crisp white light temperature), including the resistor, the resistor is an important part because in some cars if you have the trunk on and the dome lights shut off, the LED strip will dim too, and the black wire helps keep the install clean.
It is an all around great product. We have been looking to manufacture something unique to our company for a few years, but it is hard to get a new product out in the LED market as everything has already seem to been invented. So improving on a great product is the next step.

And unctucker, sorry for not mentioning this earlier, but we appreciate the great photos. We will use them in some ads. Keep a look out!

Thanks for reading:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

This is the grey tape I'm referring it. This is the last tape you will ever have to buy. Take me advice on this. Regardless what temps, this tape works EVERY time and has the best hold I've ever seen.

See my DeAutoKey LED fog light install DIY for additional details.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts