VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I accidentally closed my garage door on my rear bumper and I had to take it off to get it painted. My screw up is your gain!

There are only 4 tools needed:
1. 10mm deep socket and ratchet (or a 10mm wrench)
2. T25 socket
3. T30 socket
4. Flat head screwdriver
The first step is to remove the tail lights. This is easily accomplished by removing the 2 10mm nuts from inside the trunk, then disconnect the electrical wires and gently slide out the light housings.

Now you need to remove the 4 newly exposed T30 bolts (2 on each side).

If you haven't already noticed, there's another T30 bolt on each side in the corner where the bumper meets the rear fender coming from inside of the trunk. These just need to be loosened from the clips in the bumper as they have a plastic washer that will keep them from falling out.

Now, there are 3 T25 bolts and a plastic rivet in each wheel-well holding on the bumper. I didn't get the center bolt in the picture, but you'll see it (unless you've been mudding).

The plastic rivets can be removed and salvaged by using a pointy-tipped object to push the rivet out of its casing from the top (towards the ground).

Next, the bolts holding on the lower part of the bumper need to be removed. There are 3 T30 bolts.

And there are 2 T25 bolts on the passenger's side.

To remove the bumper, gently pull it away from the car. I didn't get a picture, but there are 4 clips that secure the upper part of the bumper just below the bottom of the trunk opening. These will come loose as you pull the bumper from the car.

If you need to remove the lower plastic portion of the bumper, just use a flat-head screwdriver (or trim remover) to release the plastic tabs securing the two pieces together.

Reattaching the bumper is the exact reverse of removal.
I hope this helps out, and be sure to let me know if anything needs to be clarified.

Modified by aero_eng16 at 9:57 PM 7-15-2007

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Re: DIY - Jetta/GLI V Rear Bumper Cover Removal (aero_eng16)

I couldnt for the LIFE of me get in there and loosen these 2, so in the end i wound up just breaking the clips
no major drawbacks other than a little unevenness between that ridge and the taillight, but will be getting a new rear end in the future anyways, so i wasnt gonna sweat it too much

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I removed and reinstalled the bumper myself, and the painter is a friend, it was $125. It's not perfect, as there is some dust in the clear coat, but I can live with that.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
pics not working now

·
Registered
429 Posts
So I accidentally closed my garage door on my rear bumper and I had to take it off to get it painted. My screw up is your gain!

There are only 4 tools needed:
1. 10mm deep socket and ratchet (or a 10mm wrench)
2. T25 socket
3. T30 socket
4. Flat head screwdriver
The first step is to remove the tail lights. This is easily accomplished by removing the 2 10mm nuts from inside the trunk, then disconnect the electrical wires and gently slide out the light housings.

Now you need to remove the 4 newly exposed T30 bolts (2 on each side).

If you haven't already noticed, there's another T30 bolt on each side in the corner where the bumper meets the rear fender coming from inside of the trunk. These just need to be loosened from the clips in the bumper as they have a plastic washer that will keep them from falling out.

Now, there are 3 T25 bolts and a plastic rivet in each wheel-well holding on the bumper. I didn't get the center bolt in the picture, but you'll see it (unless you've been mudding).

The plastic rivets can be removed and salvaged by using a pointy-tipped object to push the rivet out of its casing from the top (towards the ground).

Next, the bolts holding on the lower part of the bumper need to be removed. There are 3 T30 bolts.

And there are 2 T25 bolts on the passenger's side.

To remove the bumper, gently pull it away from the car. I didn't get a picture, but there are 4 clips that secure the upper part of the bumper just below the bottom of the trunk opening. These will come loose as you pull the bumper from the car.

If you need to remove the lower plastic portion of the bumper, just use a flat-head screwdriver (or trim remover) to release the plastic tabs securing the two pieces together.

Reattaching the bumper is the exact reverse of removal.
I hope this helps out, and be sure to let me know if anything needs to be clarified.

Modified by aero_eng16 at 9:57 PM 7-15-2007
is there anyway to get the pics working again?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.