VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the joey mod today and decided to make a diy about it. its fairly simple you just need to have some patients.
From This

To This

Some materials i picked up at the local menards for the project:
-High heat semi-flat black spray paint
-Masking tape
-Knife blades
-Tube of black silicone

some other things to have handy:
-philips and standard screw drivers
-razor blades
-heat gun or oven.
1. Unbolt the four screws that hold your headlight to the rebar and pull it out, dont forget to unhook your headlights.

2. There is one philips screw and three clips you must take off to release the black housing from the headlight itself.

3. Preheat the oven to 350* F. and put the headlight into the oven, glass down, for 5 minutes.

4. Take the headlight out of the oven and cut around the edge of the glass and slice through some of the caulk holding the headlight on.

5. Place the headlight back in the oven for another 5 minutes. And finish cutting the caulk around the glass and use a screw driver or a butter knife to pry the glass away from the housing.

6. Scrape away all of, or as much as you can, of the remaining caulk from the housing and glass and try to get it as clear as possible so its easier to put back together in the end.

7. Tape off all of the inside of the headlight housing so you dont paint that reflective part black. (Be careful because all of the silver stuff in the housing peals off very easy.)

8. Spray paint with some flat/satin finish high heat paint. I did about 4 or 5 coats, you can do however much you want.

9. Sorry for the dark picture on this one. The next step is to caulk the housing with black caulk. Be generous with it because it is very easy to cut it off after and you dont want to risk having leaks in your headlights.

10. Put the glass back on the housing and place somewhere with the glass facing down. If you can put some weight on the headlight so you get a good nice seal on it. Let it cure for a while then you can shave off the extra caulk and what not and you will end up with a nice joey modded headlight. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

11. Put the lights back on your car, enjoy, and grab yourself a cold one for a job well done.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: DIY: Joey Mod Jetta Headlights (Six13racer)

Quote, originally posted by Six13racer »
light output still sucks

x2 man. But it looks better. I just drive around with my brights on all the time and its about as bright as my normal driving lights were. Fog lights help. I mounted a couple on my hood so i could actually see and they help out. i will be taking them off when i get some legit ecodes or put HID's in these

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
looks like your gettin some condensation in there... same happend to me too. ive resealed them like 3 times.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i was but it wasnt because of seal. i rinsed them and there was a little water in them when i put them in. All the condensation is gone. its a good cheap mod until i get ecodes

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (Jetta2NR)

Quote, originally posted by Jetta2NR »
you need soem HIDs for that (see sig )

Sick bro http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Wish i had an extra 200 bucks. I will trade ya somethin.. you looking for anything??

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Re: (vDUBnGTI)

instead of skimping on the cost of headlights only to waste 200 bucks on hids to correct the poor lighting and still have a hacked up looking headlights.. why not buy smoked e-codes? good diy reguardless http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (porschenvy)

Quote, originally posted by porschenvy »
instead of skimping on the cost of headlights only to waste 200 bucks on hids to correct the poor lighting and still have a hacked up looking headlights.. why not buy smoked e-codes? good diy reguardless http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Im going to get smoked ecodes. I would put HID's in these joey modded headlight to increase lighting and so i can get a hang of putting them in. Then when i get legit ecodes and go to put HID's in im not just winging it. haha

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: DIY: Joey Mod Jetta Headlights (vDUBnGTI)

Quote, originally posted by vDUBnGTI »
its fairly simple you just need to have some patients.

yes doctor

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
for $170, i'd skip the hid's and get the ecodes pronto.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I did 3 pairs of these, with no oven!!! Get a nice sharp craft knife and hack away. I ended up prying them open with a butter knife.
If anyone want ecodes with HIDS already installed, see my sig.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
i did this to my old jetta , with stock bulbs , light output sucked either way , juss wondering if anyone has done this and run hid's, i have hid's now and am wondering how much will this affect them , outut wise. nice diy btw. i cant find any of the old diy's on this

1 - 20 of 97 Posts