VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 659 Posts

·
Registered
19,712 Posts
01.11.2014: Updated link to point to the link posted in post #450 of this thread. Thanks, JetTurbo! -Bran

These instructions cover installing the Euro LED tail lights and enabling the rear turn signals to blink amber.A VAG-COM with a HEX+CAN cable is required for this mod.
Please limit replies in this thread to posting your controller 9 long coding for conversion into coding to enable the Amber functionality.
All other comments should be posted here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2165577
Click HERE to download the install instructions.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Euro mode (thread)

I've been keeping an eye on the Euro tail thread for a month now. Great work! You guys deserve a huge round of
. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Euro mode (thread)

Quote, originally posted by thread »

Please limit replies in this thread to posting your controller 9 long coding for conversion into coding to enable the Amber functionality.

Guys, I hate to be an ******* early on, but the request was plain as day...

This is something that can be used for years to come, and I'd hate for someone in 2008 to not get anything out of it because we've got 30 pages of banter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Euro mode (BRM10984)

I am trying to locate reprogramming instruction for amber turn signals. If my memory is correct I saw this instruction somewhere a few days ago. Any help would be welcome.
George.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Euro mode (zillinger)

Quote, originally posted by zillinger »
I am trying to locate reprogramming instruction for amber turn signals. If my memory is correct I saw this instruction somewhere a few days ago. Any help would be welcome.
George.

b1rney at att dot net
I will send you the basic programming for the tails.
(send your original Long Code along, and specify if you want the rear fog, or no rear fog)

Generic AMBER Coding, Central Electronics Controller, BYTES 09 through 13
U.S Code in HEX:
14 00 00 00 14
AMBER Code in HEX:
0A 00 00 0F 00
HEX 0A = 0000 1010 binary
HEX 0F = 0000 1111 binary
Refinements:
BYTE 18, BIT 1 set to = "0" (uncheck the BIT in the Long Code Helper)
BYTE 18, BIT 5 set to = "0"
BYTE 19, BIT(s) 2 & 3 set to = "0"
Rear Fog?
BYTE 03, BIT(s) 1 & 2 set to = "1" (check the BITs in the long Code Helper)
BYTE 18, BIT 3 set to = "1"
BYTE 04, BIT 6 set to = "0"
Bonus BYTE/BIT:
BYTE 17, BIT 0 set to = "1" (emergency braking, flash the Tail Lights)
BYTE(s) 18/19 contain BITs relating to Cold Diagnostics that are not required on the LED Tails, except BIT 3 which is the BIT for the Rear Fog Diag.
If you are not doing the Rear Fog, then skip what I posted concerning the Rear Fog.
Modified by Tim Birney at 2:18 PM 1-24-2008

Modified by Tim Birney at 6:36 AM 1-12-2009

·
Registered
42 Posts
Need Coding

Have VAG with Long-Coding tool but still not sure what to change.
Just installed LED Euro Tails. Changed wires around per instructions. The LED's do have the rear fog but I will hold off on activating those since I have not yet installed the euro switch.
My long coding is:
14018E234004150000140000001400000028770B5C
What should I change it to?
Thanks.

Modified by Amphicar at 12:28 PM 8-20-2006

·
Registered
645 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Euro mode (youre1096)

Are the GTi's the same as Jetta's?? Installing some Hella LEd tails with
078F0F214004180000140000001400000028770B5C0000
The GTi's only have 3 wires and we just swapped them around and got the amber to work BUT now the amber comes on with the brake light!?!? the turns are working like that are supposed to

·
Registered
645 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Euro mode ([email protected])

OK nevermind we got it!
For FYI, we changed the wires the following:
Pin 2 to Pin 3
Pin 3 to Pin 4
Pin 4 is OPEN on GTi's
Then the coding was this:
14 00 00 00 14
Euro Amber coding, BYTES 09 through 13
0A 00 00 0F 00

All is GOOD! No splicing needed.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Euro mode (iThread)

having trouble with lights
turns are yellow but so is the brake.
i swapped the wires it worked ok at first them the coded the drl's out.
could this be related

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quick question, With the new Vag-Com long coding helper you dont need to adjust the coding yourself correct? You can just check the correct boxes right?
Like this?
BYTE 03, BITS 1 & 2 - set both to 1 for Rear Fog operation- XXXXXXX
BYTE 04, BIT 6 - set to 0 to activate rear fog- XXXXXXX
BYTE 09, BITS 1 & 2 - Change from 14 to 0A.
BYTE 12, BIT 2 - Change from 0 to F.
BYTE 13, BITS 1 & 2 - Change from 14 to 00.
BYTE 17, BIT 1 - Emergency Brake Light Flash (set it to 1) - This will activate an emergency high-speed stop activation of your brake lights flashing to let people behind you know of a problem up ahead.
BYTE 17, BIT 3 - Diag Terminal 50 Active (set it to 1) copied directly from the Euro Jetta
BYTE 18, BIT 1 - Cold Diag Brake Light (set it to 0) copied from the Euro Jetta
BYTE 18, BIT 3 - Cold Diag Rear Fog Light (set this to 1 if you are doing the Rear Fog) - XXXXXXX
BYTE 18, BIT 5 - Cold Diag Turn Signals (rear) (set to 0) copied from the Euro Jetta
BYTE 19, BITS 2 & 3 - (set to 0) Cold Diag Tail Lights, copied from the Euro Jetta
And omit the ones with XXX's if you are not doing the rear fog.
Is this good?

·
Registered
57 Posts
OEM GTI LED

...and because the GTI has only the three wires, you do as mentioned above with the wire swaps for the Hella lights (which must compensate internally for this?) and then also perform the wire-splice mod from the ::R32 tail light installation. The outer lights will be dark as tail and brake lights if you do not do this. Use the 000-979-114 connector and code for ambers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Euro mode (LouGti8v)

Having trouble with this amber light mod. Got the Hellas installed, did the wire swapping and the vagcom mods, including turning off those cold diagnostic bits suggested by SBAtdijetta above. It almost all works, except now I'm getting "Rear right side light not working" and "Rear left side light not working" errors on the dasboard computer and the failed light bulb indicator on the dash is lit. There must be one more diagnostic bit to turn off, but there is not an obviously labeled one that I can find.
Anyone else encounter this? It's an 07 GTI.
thanx

Modified by MotherTucker at 11:52 PM 4-22-2007

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Euro mode (MotherTucker)

Quote, originally posted by MotherTucker »
Having trouble with this amber light mod. Got the Hellas installed, did the wire swapping and the vagcom mods, including turning off those cold diagnostic bits suggested by SBAtdijetta above. It almost all works, except now I'm getting "Rear right side light not working" and "Rear left side light not working" errors on the dasboard computer and the failed light bulb indicator on the dash is lit. There must be one more diagnostic bit to turn off, but there is not an obviously labeled one that I can find.
Anyone else encounter this? It's an 07 GTI.
thanx

Modified by MotherTucker at 11:52 PM 4-22-2007

The GTI has two signal wires from the J519 to the Tail Light assembly.
The Brake/Tail Light, and the Turn Signal.
The GTI/Rabbit/Golf LEDs work best when three wires are in use.
One wire for the AMBER Turn Signal, one for the Brake light, and one for the Tail light.
Short of running an extra wire from the front of the car to the rear, the work around is to put one wire per side as the Turn Signal, AMBER, and code the output of that wire as HEX 00. This gives you 100% AMBER when the Turn Signal is activated, and no power (no light) when nothing is turned on. With Lights on, and the Brake Pedal depressed, the AMBER should not come on when the Coding is properly set to HEX 00, and the correct wire is placed on correct PIN.
The remaining wire will have to pull double duty, lighting up the center, and outer rings of the RED LEDs, and act as the Tail Light/Brake Light. This is accomplished by double tapping (cut and splice) the wire to operate both rings. Normally this setting will be anywhere from 10% to 20% brightness, or in HEX 0A to HEX 14.
Coding for bytes 09 through 13 would look like this:
0A 00 00 00 00 , or this
14 00 00 00 00
If BYTE 12 or BYTE 13 has a value greater than HEX 00, then you will most likely toss a "Bulb Out", or drive around with a yellow/orange tail.

Because the GTI Tails are not the same as the Jetta, I would request a new thread for the GTI LEDs, so all of the GTI owners can bump their heads together, and put together a concise DIY just for the GTI.

The original GTI LED installer did indicate a code of
0A 00 00 0F 00
Plus the R32 wiring
to get full function.
Please keep that in mind.
Also Note that I am winging it, and the owners of the GTI/Rabbit are the guinea Pigs.
If anything I have posted works, make note, and post what EXACTLY worked, and what were the specific results.

Modified by Tim Birney at 8:12 PM 4-23-2007

1 - 20 of 659 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.