VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
19,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally the DIY is done. I'm only linking to the PDF version as the html version looks like a riced out honda. The export from Pages to html went, badly.
This will get you LED tails that work like the US 2006 Passat tails work. The turn signals will blink red. This does not cover making the rear fog operational. You will need a VAG-COM to disable the drivers side backup light. Or, order the drivers side trunk light from the U.K. via TMTuning.
Without further ado:
Link to the PDF
I'm sending this off to TMTuning as well.
Once we figure out how to make the amber turn signals work fully (no amber when you step on the brake ) I will be posting another DIY for that as well as activating the rear fog.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Passat mode (thread)

Quote, originally posted by thread »
Finally the DIY is done. I'm only linking to the PDF version as the html version looks like a riced out honda. The export from Pages to html went, badly.
This will get you LED tails that work like the US 2006 Passat tails work. The turn signals will blink red. This does not cover making the rear fog operational. You will need a VAG-COM to disable the drivers side backup light. Or, order the drivers side trunk light from the U.K. via TMTuning.
Without further ado:
Link to the PDF
I'm sending this off to TMTuning as well.
Once we figure out how to make the amber turn signals work fully (no amber when you step on the brake ) I will be posting another DIY for that as well as activating the rear fog.
I hope this helps.

personally i like it with out the red dots so i guess id wanna find a UK passenger trunk. IE our Left side.
Great write up btw. seemed fairly detailed.

·
Registered
19,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Tone337)

Quote, originally posted by Tone337 »
Thank you for the write up! In the last two pictures, which lights are on? Just the running lights or the brakes? If it's the brakes, your center brake light is not on.

Just the running lights. The brakes are even brighter.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
I just got a chance to look at the DIY. Awesome job!
Those are seriously bright. I wish I could see some in person.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Passat mode (Pelican18TQA4)

No, they just don't work properly period. This is required for even the most basic functionality of the LED units.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Passat mode (Pelican18TQA4)

The AMBER Function of the LED Assembly, in conjunction with what appears to be North American ECU Coding, operates when the Tail Lights are on, when the Turn Signal is on, and when the Brakes are applied.I verified the wiring of the Euro Spec Jetta Schematic to what we have, and the wiring from the ECU to the Tail Light connectors is good, just leaving some sort of program change in software.
So one more time, the LED Tails function perfectly, RED Turn Signal, RED Tail Light, and RED Brake Lights.
(Note in the PDF that the Grey wire on PIN 3 is removed, and taped off to the side, disabling the Yellow LEDs, and allowing the RED functions)

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Passat mode (Tim Birney)

Great write up thread. I was a little confused when you asked about the electrical taping. Weither to re-install the wire after word or like now just taping it off and leaving it out.
Installed them this morning.

Modified by 06DeepBlack at 10:42 AM 10-29-2005

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Passat mode (CrssEyedNSmilin)

Chris,
Very nice. I may be coming up that way soon, so I'll have to check 'em out. Now, if someone would come up with an OEM LED package for the TOUAREG.... that'd be awesome.

Modified by TREGinginCO at 2:02 PM 10-29-2005

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Passat mode (06DeepBlack)

Quote, originally posted by 06DeepBlack »
Great write up thread. I was a little confused when you asked about the electrical taping. Weither to re-install the wire after word or like now just taping it off and leaving it out.
Installed them this morning.

Modified by 06DeepBlack at 10:42 AM 10-29-2005

That's sweet! Now, do this and you're set! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Passat mode (svander)

Ahh the lamin-x black out covers. I have thought about that... I'm gonna leave them like this for now and come back to the idea in maybe a week or so.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Passat mode (thread)

Great post! Well explained and real helpful.
Got the Euro tails last night from TMT and spent less than 15 minutes installing them. Went without any problem, unless you count that anti-theft alarm that goes off the minute you unhook the battery! I was worried that unhooking the battery would somehow mess up some electronic module and so it scared the hell out of me when it went off! I tried everything to stop that thing, but to no avail. It went on for 5 minutes and then died.
I kept the US tails on the trunk lid because they have a red safety reflector around the white backup light. It's a different look, kinda hybrid between the US and Euro version.
The main reason I decided to add the Euro tails is safety. The lame half round flashers on the US version are hard to see and the euro tails are a lot brighter. The amber function will add a big cool factor to it.
I appreciate that you went through the trouble to write a great how-to so that other clowns like me had it easy.
Thanks again
George

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Passat mode (UserZero)

Welcome to the forums, George! If you have some photos of your "hybrid" setup, can you post them?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Passat mode (BRM10984)

Thanks for the warm welcome. With all the salt and abrasives they put on the road here in northern Quebec, it is very hard to keep a car clean for more than 10 minutes. And with the greyish overcast, my pictures won't win any contests.
But here it is. As plain as a Jetta can get, except for the euro/US tails. AND the exceptional guy at the wheel...
At least now it doesn't look like a Corolla anymore!
I have Pirelli "Winter Carving" tires on stell wheels. I just love the confidence and stability they provide, (in conjunction with ASR and ABS.) In the spring, I plan on buying alloy wheels for the summer tires.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Re: DIY: LED taillight install in Passat mode (UserZero)

Quote, originally posted by UserZero »
But here it is. As plain as a Jetta can get, except for the euro/US tails.

Where's the other half of you LED tails?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I decided that I didn't like the asymetrical look of the red rear fog, and I like the red reflectors on the US trunk tails, and I wanted to be different... I may decide to install them some day, If i find suitable reflectors.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Re: (UserZero)

Quote, originally posted by UserZero »
I decided that I didn't like the asymetrical look of the red rear fog, and I like the red reflectors on the US trunk tails, and I wanted to be different... I may decide to install them some day, If i find suitable reflectors.

It's my understanding that you can purchase the replacement for the "Rear Fog" so that it will look like the other side. In other words, you will have two matching reverse lights.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.