VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

DIY Lift

8K views 89 replies 30 participants last post by  guggles 
The ramp could slip with wheel spin. Wood could crack due to block spacing. Too narrow so edge of tire can flip / roll wood. Too easy to drive over the edge. Time to setup unless permanent. Can't jack up the car. Definitely no engineering in terms of designed and safety. If this was in a work invironment this would be an OSHA nightmare.

When cost is the focus on a supposed unique creation. Sometimes in the name of saving a few bucks our creations always look good, right and safe in our own minds. Pennywise and thousands of pounds...

Started with the oil extractor, a heavy duty Milwaukee electric impact then Quick Jack. Had a $20 2 ton jack for over 20 years and those cheap and small jack stands (C30 driver's rear wheel). Got too old and after the Harbor Freight Recall agreed with Joe Walsh, Life's Been Good To Me So Far so why be wise in my own eyes and take chances or work harder.

The Quick Jack was cumbersome to move, set up and store so returned. It also didn't feel solid and if rocked laterally felt and looked liked the system would tweak easily and collapse. Definitely didn't feel safe lifting the 19 Atlas. After HB's recall decided stands with Safety Pins only. Even then returned a set as the weld didn't look as full as the other sets. Since the Floor Jack was large and heavy got two, one for each side along with the 4 stands.

Don't know why I didn't get the right tools till I got old. Probably wanted to show how much I could do with so little. Think of all the other expenses each month compared to these one time potentially life saving expenditure. Time spent rigging things, wear and tear on the body and safety not the least.

CAT 3 Ton Low Profile Service Jack

Pro-Lift Heavy Duty 6 Ton Jack Stands Pair - Double Locking Pins - Handle Lock and Mobility Pin for Auto Repair Shop with Extra Safety

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

No higher due to the garage door opener.

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Bumper Fender

Automotive exterior Flooring Gas Asphalt Machine

I tried having jack stands for backup in case the polymer ramps fail.

Neighbor around the block cracked their Rhino ramp. I told them to purchase one as I was helping with the oil changes. I purchased the beefier Rhino but don't use it at all since the extractor was put into use. Most other work requires to have the wheels off so a large paper weight for now.

I know it didn't take that much torque to remove the filter but gotta use what's convenient at the time.

So far my ramps have been holding up to occasional use. I got my daughter an extractor. Her oil filter is on the top so it's easier for her. I have to go under to get to the filter.

I think that oil filter was installed by Superman. It was so bloody tight my oil filter wrench didn't have enough grip. The monkey wrench worked quite well. Some times you have to improvise.

I'm very careful with using those ramps as you can see flex and they will slide forward if you go up too fast. Don't trust myself nor the ramps so there is always another person guiding it. I also try not to steer the wheels while on the ramp.

Recently did an oil change on a newly acquired 00 S70. Used a 3 legged oil filter wrench on the filter housing. Forgot the 3 legged wrench is directional and not for putting on the filter. Had to wrap the filter housing with two large hose clamps and slowly motivate it around till it was seated. Will have a proper cap wrench in a few days for the next one. My go to 20" channel locks were at my folks so didn't have that as my go to works every time back up filter wrench. Whatever it takes before it get dark and cold.

I use to over tighten my filters also that removal required piercing the filter on the side with a long screw driver to turn it loose. 3/4 of a turn never seemed enough. With the extractor I just lift the car slightly with a floor jack, no stands :whistle: but does allow me to remove the filters on several cars without getting under it 😅. The extractors have really made changing the oil quicker and cleaner for sure. I now look forward to oil changes.

Spoiler alert, it left 100ml of dirty oil behind.

Call me old fashioned. I will continue to remove the drain plug.

fat biker

P.S. Another way to look at it. Would you put in 5 or 6 quarts of fresh synthetic oil and then top it off with 100ml of used oil?

Deutsche Auto Parts drained 150 ml. I don't remember which post but I mentioned at Acura none of the other mechanics waited for the oil to drain to a drip. It's plug off and plug on as soon the stream is thin. I believe I've drained less than 100 ml so have not removed any drain plugs for over 2 years. We usually extract to the end and then move the hose around and draw as much oil remaining as possible even when it's pulling a lot of air. All the oil look clean after a couple of days of driving.

Trust me, I'm also very particular, old fashion and have been changing oil since the late 70's. At Acura my Service Manager told me to get my tools dirty 😂. After pulling a couple of plugs to check I'm glad I've come into the current fashion of extraction and no longer draining into and having to clean a pan. I've also started using a 5 gallon jug instead of using left over oil containers or milk jugs for storage and disposal. So much easier to pour, store and transport.

I have a low profile 2.5 ton floor Jack and 3 ton floor jacks. how do you guys Jack the car up and put the Jack stand underneath at the same time? There’s not a lot of room to do both I’ve struggled to put both Jack stands on each side at the same time or am I doing something wrong lol.. The car is a 2014 VW CC.
2 sets of floor jacks and 2 sets of stands, one set for each side. Your CC made be a bit low but you could check if a length of super strut might work if you don't have side skirts like our 08 Volvo C30. The wood does deflect the side skirt some on the Volvo.

2 feet Adamax Electro-galvanized Half Slot Channel Stru

My post on this topic on Page 2.

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Bumper Fender
Automotive exterior Flooring Gas Asphalt Machine

“It’s comfortable and easy to stick with the things we believe, but by doing so we're also stifling our ability to be innovative.”
Innovative does not mean at the expense of good science and safe design. Fiber choice for clothing and different and novel ingredients in cooling (EDIT: cooking) okay but rocket science and brain surgery best not to be innovative on the fly and as you perform.

This is not a matter of who is smarter or I have a comment more witty than yours. Many people read these post and don't comment and many don't have enough background to evaluate whether the OP setup is one of those "Don't Try This At Home" deals.

What type of wood is strong enough for a car ramp?

"Just some food for thought but not many years ago the wife of a long time friend of mine was working on her '65 Thunderbird. She had some very heavy, homemade ramps (2 X 12s) for this purpose.
One happened to collapse and she was dead before the cops got there.
As to why her husband wasn’t doing the work; he’s unable to. He’s a paraplegic in a wheelchair for 30 years due to a major car accident…"

It's always it can't happen to us. No spare either? In the excitement of being innovative it's throw caution to the wind. A spare could spare a potential disrepair. Better yet build a correct wooded ramp.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.