VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MAP sensor connectors

Has anyone been able to find a source for the male & female connectors for the map sensor? Or at least the part numbers for these connectors? Looking to rig up a diode install in between the map sensor and the stock wiring harness without having to hack up the stock lines.

Modified by viper_chan at 10:56 PM 5-17-2004

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: MAP sensor connectors (viper_chan)

Here are a few pics of the map sensor connector and wiring harness borrowed from <nebulight>...

Modified by viper_chan at 11:45 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

You can get the female end and the pins through the dealer....just a few bucks. Since the male end is part of the sensor you will most like have to have it made unless you can find and other plug that is will cross with.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Re: MAP sensor connectors (nerdhotrod)

I believe I tried to look for it but I can't remember. If someone can post the PN for the connecter end I can try looking it up in ETKA again later today.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: MAP sensor connectors (evilpat)

Found this on another thread...Can someone confirm this?
Female connector part #: 1J0 973 704

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: MAP sensor connectors (nebulight)

Found the female connector (#1J0973704) over at ImpexFAP.com for $3.31
Anyone know if the male connector attached to the MAP sensor is a standard type of connector, or is it a proprietary vw/audi connector?

Modified by viper_chan at 11:42 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
3,642 Posts

Quote, originally posted by viper_chan »
Looking to rig up a diode install in between the map sensor and the stock wiring harness without having to hack up the stock lines.

I tried to do something like that, but couldn't find the male connection. Something could easily be made.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Re: MAP sensor connectors (nebulight)

Well. 1J0 973 704 does not have a male counter part listed that I could find. But there is a very similar looking part 1J0 973 724 has one that is 1J0 973 824. It appears that it is a water proof connector that could be used in the engine bay.
724 uses 1mm wires 000 979 133 (or 000 979 133 A)
824 uses 1mm wires 000 979 134 (or 000 979 134 A)
the "A" usual signifies hi temp/chemical jacket.
While that connecter will definitely NOT mate with the MAP connector you could splice it in for an OEM apperance. The MAP connector uses 1.5mm blades while the part I listed uses 2.8mm blades.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote, originally posted by evilpat »
Well. 1J0 973 704 does not have a male counter part listed that I could find. But there is a very similar looking part 1J0 973 724 has one that is 1J0 973 824. It appears that it is a water proof connector that could be used in the engine bay.
While that connecter will definitely NOT mate with the MAP connector you could splice it in for an OEM apperance. The MAP connector uses 1.5mm blades while the part I listed uses 2.8mm blades.

Have any pics of the parts listed above?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts

If someone starts making this with different diode setups, I am sure they could be very profitable.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts

Quote, originally posted by viper_chan »

Have any pics of the parts listed above?

Only what is listed in ETKA which is not going to be very helpful as the connectors looks identical, but the description details the difference in the blade size.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

If the exterior housing of part #1J0-973-824 is the same as the connector of the MAP sensor, then all we would need to do is modify the blade size of the pins & maybe adjust the spacing between the pins as well.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts

usually the entire housing is different to accomodate the larger blade size. But you'll never know unless you give it a try http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

usually the entire housing is different to accomodate the larger blade size. But you'll never know unless you give it a try http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I guess I'll volunteer to order one and see how that goes...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

If I'm going to be ordering wires for these connectors, should I just go with the "A" versions? Did a quick check with ImpexFAP.com and they are about the same price as the regular wires.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Just a quick little update...finally got the various connectors & wires I ordered from http://ImpexFAP.com. Unfortunately, none of the connectors I ordered are a direct fit with the MAP Sensor connector, but there is 1 connector I got that looks promising. With a little hacking, I think I will be able to rig up something that will work as a plug & play diode solution.
I'll post more details when I have more time to work on my project....most likely after the end of June.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Initial Prototype Progress...

I finally made some progress on my initial prototype....not quite ready for testing, but close...
Here are some pics of my progress so far:
Flat 3-contact housing (Male) #1J0 973 803

Hi-temp Wiring (Male) #000 979 134

Hi-temp Wiring (Female) #000 979 131A

Used needle nose pliers to rip out internal pieces of #1J0 973 803

Used file to reduce #1J0 973 803 length by a few mm.

#1J0 973 803 with internals removed & filed down in length

#1J0 973 803 drilled out using 2/32" drill bit.

3-contact housing (#1J0 973 803) & MAP Sensor connector (#1J0 973 704) fitting together nicely.

I still need to shrink wrap the male connecting wires to avoid shorting. The 3-contact housing connector also needs bit more drilling/filing for a better fit. Insulation & weather protection will follow shortly.
I’ll be compiling a full how-to guide once I have everything working on my end.

Modified by viper_chan at 2:15 PM 2-18-2006

1 - 20 of 73 Posts