VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Re: (soulman978)

I havent been able to pull too much information out of this thread.
I have a non-mfa cluster with no screen whatsoever, i want to swap in a mfa, or fis cluster.
Is it possible?
What do i have to wire?
easy?
How?
where do i get a cluster?

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Re: (kevinchau)

Quote, originally posted by kevinchau »
I havent been able to pull too much information out of this thread.
I have a non-mfa cluster with no screen whatsoever, i want to swap in a mfa, or fis cluster.
Is it possible?
What do i have to wire?
easy?
How?
where do i get a cluster?

It is entirely possible. I have a 2003 Jetta GLI (24v VR6). My car didn't come with the half-screen cluster like the R32 or GTIs. I had to buy the FIS cluster (I bought a Bora Sport version - 1J5 826 946A) and added the wiper stalk with MFA controls and did the required wiring and added the outside air temperature sensor. I then followed the instructions here to install the stalk and wiring:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=459818
Once that was done, it was time to install the cluster using the instructions here:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-c....html
The wiper stalk, wiring and sensor stuff was about $175 from the dealer. The clusters are becoming more and more rare, but are occasionally seen on ebay.de. ALWAYS make sure you get the proper cluster for your car. Don't get one for an automatic if you have a manual, etc. If in doubt, post in the VAGCOM Forum and ask which cluster part number you need for your car. Cluster prices vary, but in general, the entire project comes to around roughly $900-$1K depending on what you need to buy and who you buy it from (YMMV).
Once you get the cluster in, things pretty much work on their own. I know in my car, the MPG and associated things like "miles until empty" items work automatically, as did my radio information (someone posted about wiring the GALA wire to the radio - I can say for certain that 2003s don't require you to do this). I did wire in the rear fog icon wiring - that took about 5 minutes to do and is worth the effort if you have a rear fog light.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: DIY: MFA to FIS cluster swap (ericthebikeman)

I just had a euro half MFA cluster installed in my '02 GTI. Works beautifully, only problem is that it doesn't show the number of miles remaining till empty. Any idea why? Or is there some other coding needed? Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Re: DIY: MFA to FIS cluster swap (71sbeetle)

Quote, originally posted by 71sbeetle »
it needs to be unlocked on some clusters IIRC

how do you go about doing that ??

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Re: DIY: MFA to FIS cluster swap (71sbeetle)

Quote, originally posted by 71sbeetle »
it needs to be unlocked on some clusters IIRC

It needs to be unlocked on all clusters except R32 clusters, where it comes already unlocked. To the best of my knowledge, that is. Now watch, 600 GLI owners are going to tell me they've already got miles-to-empty on their clusters.
It's not something you can do with a VAG-COM. If you (guyjoe) still have your original cluster and can drive around with it for a while, I can unlock miles-to-empty for you. IM me if you're interested.
--Chris

·
Registered
354 Posts
Re: DIY: MFA to FIS cluster swap (Nihilator)

how do you control the FIS though? My bora came with one but the switches and buttons to control it on the wiper stalk are not there (so it's stuck at the journey time, and i can't switch it to total driving time and other stuff).
is the other stalk just plug and play?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Re: DIY: MFA to FIS cluster swap (rudeboymcc)

Quote, originally posted by rudeboymcc »
how do you control the FIS though? My bora came with one but the switches and buttons to control it on the wiper stalk are not there (so it's stuck at the journey time, and i can't switch it to total driving time and other stuff).
is the other stalk just plug and play?

No, you need to buy a few repair wires from the dealership and install them. There are four wires that need to be inserted in the connector that connects to the stalk (not to the stalk itself). Three of these are routed to one of the instrument cluster connectors, and one goes to ground. It's not tough, if you are remotely decent with a soldering iron (the soldering is done at your leisure in the house, as opposed to upside down under the dash in 30-degree weather). The wires will run you maybe $20 if your dealership charges you the rack rate.
The previous owner must have broken the wiper stalk and replaced it with the wrong type. Now that I think about it, it's likely the wires you need are already installed in the car. Unless it wasn't the wiper stalk that was replaced, it was the cluster...in which case you'll need to install the wires when you do the stalk.
We've had this conversation before, haven't we?
--Chris

·
Registered
267 Posts
Re: DIY: MFA to FIS cluster swap (ericthebikeman)

hey will i be able to do this if i have a jetta gl, 03? no computer. i would love to have that on. i was pissed when i got the car that i didn't come with one.
so i would like to go from regular 03 gl cluster>>>to a 04+ multitrip computer cluster...is this possible?

thanx

41 - 60 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.