VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see this question a lot. The DIY is simple. I believe this only applies to NA caps as Euro Stubbies are a little different. If somebody can verify that would be great.
(*edit: according to 2K_GLX and Randal Graves, euro stubbies are the same.)
I accept no responsibility for your failures. Proceed at your own risk.
1. Remove the mirror glass. Simple move the mirror to the extreme inside/outside position, grab an edge, and pull.

2. If applicable, unplug heater wires. Note where each wire attaches.

3. Locate the black plastic plug on the bottom of the mirror housing.

4. Remove the plug, just pull it out.

5. Locate the metal tab with a hole inside the mirror housing under the motor.

6. Use a small screwdriver, awl, etc. Something long, narrow, but fairly stiff. I tried using precision screwdrivers because my normal Craftsman flatheads were all too big to fit through the hole and they would bend. Insert the tool through the hole in the mirror housing and the hole in the metal tab from (5).

7. Move the tool towards the front of the car in order to move the tab towards the back of the car. Note: you may be able to grab the tab with pliers and pull back. (*edit: 2K_GLX says it may be necessary to pry the black tab on the right side of the mirror housing while removing the cap [see picture from step (5)])

8. Pull straight up on the cap as you move the tab. The tab is stubborn especially the first time the cap is removed. You should hear when the tab finally lets go of the cap.
9. Pull up to remove the cap.

10. Install in reverse.
Here's a picture of the metal tab that holds the mirror cap for reference.

Modified by bluebora20v at 1:45 PM 10-31-2008

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Re: DIY: Mirror Cap Removal (bluebora20v)

nice Write up . http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: DIY: Mirror Cap Removal (bluebora20v)

Quote, originally posted by bluebora20v »
I believe this only applies to NA caps as Euro Stubbies are a little different. If somebody can verify that would be great.

My powered/heated/tinted euro stubby is the same layout.
You may also need to pull back the tab towards the outside edge of the mirror once the glass is off. You can see it in the right side of this pic:

·
Registered
31,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Jon202)

Quote, originally posted by Jon202 »
Props for knowing your camera and using the correct mode (ie. macro) for close up shots! A+++ writeup.

Thanks, I was using A priority with a large aperture (semi-manual rather than macro mode).
Quote, originally posted by Randal Graves »
euro stubbies are the same, i just painted and sold a set of them not too long ago. so are you getting them painted blue now? lol

Thanks for the info about the stubbies (2k_GLX and Randal Graves). Not yet, I just figured it was needed since I have personally posted the basic steps about 5 times. It's easier to point to a DIY with pictures rather than repeating the same thing every time it pops up.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: (nimmo)

for anybody who is wondering... i just pulled of my mirrors on a 337 and its a little bit different set up... theres no plug at the bottom... u pull off the mirror and theres 2 screw u have to take out that attach it to the skeleton... u remove the black clip like seen in the pictures and then pull up

·
18,976 Posts
Re: (Black Mamba)

Quote, originally posted by Black Mamba »
Maybe cause you dont have heated mirrors ?
Anyways dont see why you bumped this, anyone with common sense can figure it out.

The mirrors on his car are the Metgal ones that were on cars built in Brazil... they attach completely different from the German ones in this DIY.
He is correct.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: (Mr. Rictus)

thanks mr rictus
and yes of all gti's i think 337's and 20th's would be the last to come without heated mirrors
and i thought it would be useful to some ... sorry if it bothered you

·
18,976 Posts
Re: (Black Mamba)

Quote, originally posted by Black Mamba »
My car was built in Brazil and my mirrors are just like the ones in the DIY.

Your car is a mutant... maybe it's because it is Canadian?

Seriously though, the German mirror caps and bases are different than the Metgal bits. If I remember correctly the Metgals started to be used in 2002.5?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: (Mr. Rictus)

my car is a canadian 337 and its totally different ... funny thing is when i finally figured out how to pop off the mirror cap today some brazlilian guy im guessing, carved his signature into the back of my mirror cap ahahaahahahahahahah
so my 337 is not only 1 of 250 for canada... is 1 of 1 with the special brazlilian signature

·
Registered
26 Posts
No need to remove mirrror glass

you can remove the cap by just inserting the screw driver in the hole whilst the mirror has been moved to the side to be able to view the clips. Then move the mirror straight and pull the cap off. save yourself the cost a a new glass, http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Re: No need to remove mirrror glass (jezvr6)

Thanks a ton for posting all those awesome detailed pics. It helped out alot!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: (daves3337)

Quote, originally posted by daves3337 »
for anybody who is wondering... i just pulled of my mirrors on a 337 and its a little bit different set up... theres no plug at the bottom... u pull off the mirror and theres 2 screw u have to take out that attach it to the skeleton... u remove the black clip like seen in the pictures and then pull up

what screw driver did you use? can you PM me? i have a 2k1 golf and i went to take off my mirrors and theyre nothing like shown in the DIY. i have to little screw on the underside of my mirror, very similar to what you describe yet i have no screwdrivers small enough to fit there

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.