VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was done on a MY2012 GLI. Your vehicle may be slightly different.

Tools required:
t10 torx bit screw driver
small electronics flat head screwdriver

Estimated time to completion:
10 minutes per cap

First push back the mirror to give yourself more room to work with.

From there, you're going to use your fingers to pry the mirror free. Just be gentle and work your hands around the mirror and you'll get it.

Once out, be careful of the two connecting wires to the mirror (this might only be on vehicles with a heated mirror option).

These two cables slide right off so you can place the mirror on the ground.

Get your torx screwdriver and get these two screws. These are the only screws you'll have to remove.

There are two tabs here that need to be released to get the inside assembly out.

I used a small flathead screwdriver to depress the tabs and pull them out.

This is what the tabs look like from the rear.

Once the tabs are free, use your fingers to pull forward at this spot. The inner assembly should come out. Be mindful of the small, clear plastic blinker light on the inside of the assembly. If you pull too hard or pull when the tabs are not out, you could break it.

The cap should be a bit loose now.

Slide it forward and it will come free.

This is the mirror cap from the rear.

Repeat the steps in reverse order to get everything reinstalled.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Now if I can only find the carbon fiber mirror caps I want to replace them with! Does anyone know if the Jetta/GLI caps are the same as the CC?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does anyone know if the Jetta/GLI caps are the same as the CC?
They are very likely to be the same.
For example, CC cap part number is 3C8 857 537 (left one) and it is also listed for EOS, 2012 Beetle, 2012 Passat, as well as 2012 GLI.

Visually, the shape looks very similar between GLI, Passat and CC.
In this case it will be possible to fit CC aspherical glass in GLI housing :laugh:

·
Registered
254 Posts
They are very likely to be the same.
For example, CC cap part number is 3C8 857 537 (left one) and it is also listed for EOS, 2012 Beetle, 2012 Passat, as well as 2012 GLI.

Visually, the shape looks very similar between GLI, Passat and CC.
In this case it will be possible to fit CC aspherical glass in GLI housing :laugh:
OH HAPPY DAY! Thanks!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would you in anyway be inclined to make a second set? I would obviously compensate you for your time and materials.
No, not right now. I'm not a sponsor on this forum (it is too expensive for me) so I don't want to break any rules on advertising. Maybe in the future, but for now my parts will only be for my personal car.

I'll be sure to post plenty of pics of all my projects though.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Is there a way to install the puddle lights that come on the eos? Or can the mirrors just be switched? I want the reverse turn down also, anyone think of the retrofit?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got puddle lights on my Jetta as well and I would like to replace them with some brighter ones!

Anyone know what sorta bulbs it uses? Haven't had time to pry my mirror open.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I tried to this..... and... I cracked my mirror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

GGRRRRR...... anyone know the product code for the mirror?!?!?!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
So I tried to this..... and... I cracked my mirror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

GGRRRRR...... anyone know the product code for the mirror?!?!?!
damnnnnnn, that sucks man....all of a sudden i'm hesitant on replacing mine, hahaha...good luck if you try them again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry for being slightly off-topic, but I see lots of talk about the GLI in here, does this apply to non-GLI jettas as well? If so, does this mean I could grab the aspherical mirrors for the CC and put them on my Jetta?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Shoulda spent more time reading before posting: The housing are different, would have to get GLI housings for my jetta.

·
Registered
41,674 Posts
I cracked mine too and I've done this plenty of times... :banghead:

I barely tugged on the outside corner and snap. BTW that is where the glass is the weakest due to the plastic backing.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Anyone know how to take out the LED blinker? I want to tint them like my headlights and tail lights

1 - 20 of 42 Posts