VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...recently I've been getting a lot of IMs and emails regarding on how to make your own OEM HID 12-10 pin plug adapters. So I'm creating this DIY tread to help people who may have questions on what parts are needed and where to get it. This project is extremely simple. I have to give credit to the following fellow texers' because I've sourced bit and parts of information from them and pieced it all together myself. They are mrdejected, roger moore and [email protected]
Parts you'll need can be bought at your local dealer or vwparts.com:
1) 2 12 pin female plug adapters. PN# 1J0 941 165. It cost around $10 each. You'll NEED to buy it.
2) 2 10 pin male plug adapters. PN# 1J0 973 835. It cost around $10 each, but you DO NOT need to buy it because it's alread located in your current OEM N.A. spec headlamps. All you have to do is unclip them off.
3) 4 Large female terminal wires from VW. PN# 000 979 225. It cost around $2 each. You'll need to cut it in half to make 8. Each terminal wire is double ended, so there are female terminals on each end.
4) 2 Small female terminal wires from VW. PN# 000 979 131. It cost around $1 each. You'll need to cut it in half to make 4. Each terminal wire is double ended, so there are female terminals on each end.
After you get all the parts, then you're ready to put them together to make a true PLUG -N- PLAY adapter.
First, unclip the 10 pin male plug from the OEM stock N.A. headlamps. DO NOT unclip the wires currently connected to it. Just cut the wires to retain the wires sticking out. You'll need it to connect it to the female terminal wires later.
Second, as mentioned above, cut all the female terminal wires in halves.
Third, see the self explanatory diagram below:

As you can see the 12 pin adapter is on top and notice that there are 4 large holes for the large female terminals for slot # 5,6,7 and 8.
The small holes are for the small female terminals 3 and 4. You can see the slot #s if you look closely to the side of the adapter.
Now, the bottom two pics are pics of the stock 10 pin adapters. Do the same thing, look up the slot #s on the adapter and match it to the following setup.
(slot #) 12 Pin to 10 Pin (slot #)
6 Low Beam to Low Beam 7
5 Hi Beam to Hi Beam 9
4 Blinker to Position Light 6
3 City Light to Blinker Light 10
8 Ground for hi/lo to ground for blinker 4
7 Ground to Ground for hi/lo 8
All you have to do is connect the female terminal wires to the existing wires on the 10 pin adapter by soldering or crimping. I recommend soldering to guarantee 100% connection. After that just connect the female terminals (metal clips) into the 12 pin adapter corresponding to the slot #.
To make it pretty and truly OEM looking, all you need to do is buy some plastic wire hoses from pep boys and wrap it all up together. Now you''ve completed the DIY truly OEM 12-10 pin PLUG -N- PLAY adapter.
Sorry...I don't have any actual pics because I did this over 3-4 months ago. But everything is pretty self explanatory. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
don
Please note, this has already been posted on the golf/jetta iv forum, but I just wanted to share this in the lighting for those who don't go on the golf/jetta iv forum.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Re: DIY OEM HID 12-10 pin plug adapter - really easy (VReihenmotor6)

Quote, originally posted by VReihenmotor6 »
or you could rewire the oem hids to accept the stock plug so that they can be changed easily for inspections

Yeah that's what I did with mine when I got them last summer. It has worked well since, as I soldered them and used heat shrink tubes...
But now that I know how to build the harnesses, I'd rather keep the HID units "factory". It's cleaner, and they have a higher resale value afterwards...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: DIY OEM HID 12-10 pin plug adapter - really easy (TRBO-GTI)

yep...that's the reason why i went through thorough research and made my own oem harness. I didn't want to gut up or cut anything on the HIDs.
besides, making the adapters take as much time as gutting up the HIDs and looks 10x cleaner.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts