VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an addition to the following DIY, specifically for the 2007 GTI http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2577068
When I attempted to follow the said directions I found to my discontent that in the 2007 GTI they DELETED the plastic ring. So now I was left to try and figure out what was making the noise. I found two culprits...
Problem 1.
Retaining Bar. This bar would vibrate against the swing latch. For whatever reason it did not have foam padding like the right side bar. Solution... Put some scotch mounting tape on it and leave the cover attached.

Problem 2.
Plastic Bracket. This horizontal bar seems to protect the sun roof motor.

Solution... Stick a pad of some sort in between the bracket and the outer rim of the console to bolster it and muffle the vibration.

I hope this helps those who have that overhead console rattle! Its a pretty simple fix ... Just use a credit card to pop the faux speakers then pop something into the aforementioned places and you are good to go!

Modified by HoneyNutz at 10:10 PM 3-22-2007

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Hkysk8r07)

Google Picasa Web album =/ proper image host
I moved images over to my old school site -- should work now! Sorry

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Sincity)

I agree specifically for the reason that the old DIY might not be up to date!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Re: (HoneyNutz)

Quote, originally posted by HoneyNutz »
I agree specifically for the reason that the old DIY might not be up to date!

seriously.
now that the plastic ring is gone my DIY is pretty obsolete... at least for the new owners.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for the new write-up!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Re: (freezermink)

Thanks for the DIY, I have rattles coming from overhead so I'm going to operate with your instructions.
Anyone have a good solution for the sunglass holder rattle (apart from super glueing it shut)?

If I press against it it goes away, so I think it has something to do with the latching mechanism. Maybe some lube or strategically placed felt?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (masemoto)

My initial thought is to felt the latch and the outter rim of the unit. See if that muffles the sound.
I actually found that my sunglasses made the loudest rattle (duh). So I just put my lens cleaner cloth in the compartment. I rarely hear the rattle now. Why they decided to go with hard plastic instead of felt is beyond me

·
Registered
274 Posts
I also found that if you disassemble the sunroof, taking out the little cover, and then taking out the area where the knob is, there are two screws that hold it to the roof and they were loose in mine! I've tightened them up and I haven't had a chance to test it since my interior is in shambles cause I'm doing a bluetooth installation. But, loose screws are never good.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good to know! Thanks Svander

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.