VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bled my brakes by myself in about 10 minutes. Of course it took me about an hour to source all the bits I needed to make the DIY power brake bleeder kit but it'll be easier next time. Here's what you need to make your own kit assuming you have an air compressor already.

1. An extra reservoir cap (on you can drill a hole in)
2. A tire valve stem
3. A locking air chuck

So drill a hole in the center of the cap just slightly smaller than the "D" diameter shown in the pic.
Insert valve stem into said hole with the valve part facing out. Then remove the valve guts from the stem and the press pin from the air chuck (They didn't open at the 20 psi I had the compressor set to)
Lock the air chuck onto the cap assembly.

Set your compressor reg to around 20 psi and then fill your reservoir up with brake fluid. Tighten cap assembly and you are ready to hook up your air pressure and bleed your brakes without help from anyone. The 20psi does not blow off your reservoir and bleeds the brakes nice and slow.

I thought it worked pretty sweet and saved a bunch of time and effort.

Good luck and be careful. I assume no responsibility for any damage or injury that you may incur while attempting to recreate this.

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
I have made a similar "power brake bleeder" using a garden sprayer. It has a valve stem to check your pressure (I thought it was around 10-12psi, 20 could be right?) or to fill with the compressor. If there's no compressor available it can also be manually pumped up to achieve pressure. I'll never do brakes again any other way!

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
:thumbup: to this, good stuff. Beats my old "1 man" manual kit with fish tank tubing, hose clamps and a jar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.