VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I found there really isnt any DIY or HOWTO for getting your fuel sending unit out. So I made one.
Step 0. Disconnect Battery
Step 1. Remove rear passenger side seat bottom.
Step 2. Flip small patch of carpet up to reveal the acess panel
Step 3. Use Phillips head screw driver to remove access panel.
Step 4. You should now see the top of the sending unit. It should look like this (Note, the red arrow points to where my pump was leaking):

Step 5. Unclip the hoses (by pressing on rounded side of the D-clip)
Step 6. Disconnect Wiring Harness
Step 7. Use rubber mallet and block of wood to loosing large retaining ring.
Step 8. Remove sending unit, allowing it to drain and tilting it towards the driver side of the car to get the float to clear the lip of the tank.
Step 9. CONTINUE to allow it to drain.

Step 10. Remove Rubber gasket from assembly.
Here you can see the difference between old and new. Note: My old one was about 6 years old.

CONGRATULATIONS! Your sending unit is now free from the vehicle.
Reinstallation is the reverse, pay special attention to the rubber gasket, don't get it pinched. Below is a pic of how the gasket fits on the sending unit:

APPENDIX: So you have a bad pump/sending unit... But how do you attach that level float to the new one? EASY!
Step 1. Unclip the black and blue wires from the gauge sender. (Use a ballpoint pen to press the tabs on the wire clip to get it out) Note the orientation of the wires and to which terminal which wire goes.
This is how they should be wired. (Note: This picture shows which pieces are the float and which are the sending unit)

Step 2. Pull up on the top part of the little float assembly and gently pry the top part away from its clips, it should then slide downward and off of the assembly.
Reinstallation is the reverse.
After doing this, I reconnected the battery and turned the key. The car started after a second, and the gauge went to the correct place. I also recommend cleaning the contacts of the float when you have it out, mine were starting to show wear.
Any questions are more than welcomed, I found little if any help about this on the Tex when I went after it.

Modified by dremhmrk2 at 7:35 PM 9-22-2006

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Re: DIY: Removal and Reinstallation of Fuel Sending Unit (dremhmrk2)

Nice. I always wondered what that cap was for. At first, I thought it was a place for a sub or something.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump, add this to the FAQ!

·
Banned
11,609 Posts
Re: (dremhmrk2)

Quote, originally posted by dremhmrk2 »
bump, add this to the FAQ!

x2. Mods have been slow as of late. They didnt add my joeymodding helix projectors to the FAQ either

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Re: (silveratljetta)

Nice work. Had you not seen this DIY though? - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2241752

One question ... How did you manage to get the ring and pump out without destroying the fuel lines? There is so little space between the sheet metal and pump on my car that the lines started to get cut when I tried this procedure. I didn't feel like dropping the gas tank to replace the lines, so I gave up, put everything back together and am still driving around with a bad gauge.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (VgRt6)

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
Nice work. Had you not seen this DIY though? - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2241752

One question ... How did you manage to get the ring and pump out without destroying the fuel lines? There is so little space between the sheet metal and pump on my car that the lines started to get cut when I tried this procedure. I didn't feel like dropping the gas tank to replace the lines, so I gave up, put everything back together and am still driving around with a bad gauge.

I used a 2x4 and a rubber mallet. First I disconnected the hoses and pushed them into the gap between the tank and the sheet metal. Towards the front of the car there was slightly more room, and they tucked out of the may just enough to spin the ring.
The hard part was removing the wiring harness!!! As my clip was sorta broken, it had no way to be loosened and I had to get creative.
Edit: no I missed that DIY, but that one also doesnt show how to swap and connect the float

Modified by dremhmrk2 at 3:19 AM 9-23-2006

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Re: (dremhmrk2)

I tried to tuck the fuel lines out of the way, but the hoses are pretty stiff and there very little room.

The two DIYs definitely complement each other well.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (VgRt6)

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
I tried to tuck the fuel lines out of the way, but the hoses are pretty stiff and there very little room.

The two DIYs definitely complement each other well.

The yellow arrow shows where you have the most room to tuck the lines.
What I did exactly was tuck the black line over the top of the blue one then pushed them both into the gap. This allowed the fittings to be out of the way of the indentations on the retaining ring.

Modified by dremhmrk2 at 11:42 AM 9-23-2006

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Status Update: This has in fact fixed my problem, and I had zero leaking!!
Booo Gas Leaks! Hooray Beer!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Re: DIY: Removal and Reinstallation of Fuel Sending Unit (18T_BT)

I thought I had this problem, I'm under warranty so I took it to the dealership and all they had to do was fix a $7 rubber seal instead of the ~$90 part.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: DIY: Removal and Reinstallation of Fuel Sending Unit (18T_BT)

Quote, originally posted by 18T_BT »
Beside it being wet with gas or smelly in cabin as in the 1st picture, how would you know if it's bad?

If there is a puddle of fuel on top of the sender, it is a broken nipple.
It theres no puddle but smells strongly, then it's a seal problem.
When the nipples crack they spray fuel because they are under pressure. When the seal breaks you just smell it and perhaps get a check engine light related to the loss of tank pressure.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Dude thanks for this DIY...I completed the work and saved myself some dough...the pump crapped out on me after 180k+ miles...not bad...However, now my fuel gauge doesn't work...dammit...guess I will have to repair that sometime soon...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: DIY: Removal and Reinstallation of Fuel Sending Unit (PedroV1)

A major point on removal and installation.
The fuel pump is held onto the bottom of the fuel tank by keyed twist lock. Make sure you twist the fuel pump before you try to pull it out of the tank. And since it is keyed, make sure you install it properly.I used a flash light and looked down into the tank to see how the key went.
I also cleaned the top of the fuel pump with compressed air before I removed it, so I wouldn't get crud into the tank.
I found the seal hard to get in right but I finally did.

·
Registered
314 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dremhmrk2 »

If there is a puddle of fuel on top of the sender, it is a broken nipple.
It theres no puddle but smells strongly, then it's a seal problem.
When the nipples crack they spray fuel because they are under pressure. When the seal breaks you just smell it and perhaps get a check engine light related to the loss of tank pressure.

So, in my case, I have a 98 GTI that has an obvious leak from the tank, and after pulling off the cover and looking at the unit, there's gas around it, but the tubes seem fine. If I push down on the sending unit, there's a little play between it and the body of the car; should I take this to mean that the gasket for the unit is dead or worn out, and should be replaced? I found this after filling the tank, and getting gas leaking out. My other question would be, should I do a new sending unit, or just the gasket?

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by botkiller »

So, in my case, I have a 98 GTI that has an obvious leak from the tank, and after pulling off the cover and looking at the unit, there's gas around it, but the tubes seem fine. If I push down on the sending unit, there's a little play between it and the body of the car; should I take this to mean that the gasket for the unit is dead or worn out, and should be replaced? I found this after filling the tank, and getting gas leaking out. My other question would be, should I do a new sending unit, or just the gasket?

Have you watched the "nipple area" with the key in the on position?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Hate to bump a really old thread, but does anyone know how to replace the plug/wiring harness? Mine broke upon removal. Also, any estimate on how much it costs?

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts